[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best major for a person who wants to write lit in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: fffff.jpg (51KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
fffff.jpg
51KB, 480x800px
What is the best major for a person who wants to write lit in the future? English, Comparative Lit, Classics, Philosophy, Creative Writing..? Which one is most rigorous and will be most beneficial?
>>
The important thing is to write, and read alot.

Authors have come from all walks of life. A major doesn't mean shit.
>>
>>8391474
Well I know that's the most important thing. But if you had to narrow it down, which path in uni would be most beneficial? I don't want to be wasting time that could be spent improving my writing skills.
>>
>>8391471
Not to be rude, but /adv/ is where advice threads are most appropriate, not here.
>>
>>8391471
Creative writing is practical and can get you contacts in publishing... or at least some knowhow about getting your stuff out, though most MFAs I've known in creative writing are insufferable shits that I wouldn't want to be with for 2 years. Maybe that's your thing, but it aint mine.

Comparative lit (if that's still a thing), English, and philosophy will expose you to a wide variety of texts, but the effort you must put into critical analysis may shrivel your soul. I suppose an undergrad would be alright in any of these... I'd go for English or maybe phil if it's continental. Stay the fuck away from analytical phil.

Classics would be the best choice if you have it in you. The emphasis on language, the literature, the foundational cultural texts, the sense of deep history... all good for the aspiring writer.
>>
>>8391474
This. Major in whatever interests you the most, take from it what you can, take varied electives, and learn as much as possible.
>>
>>8391471
classics seems like the best bet. philosophy is garbage in my experience. creative writing is like film school where you learn the tools but there's no real inspiration to be found there. comparative literature and english departments are dominated by people trying to push an agenda by getting people to read shitty books which are then analyzed through the lens of some popular -ism.
>>
>>8391471
STEM
>>
Philosophy and psychology. Gives you some good thinking skills and ideas to write stuff. You get more bang for your buck.
>>
>>8391524
>>8391488
What if I haven't studied Latin or Greek at all?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.