[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

just finished reading tolstoy's 'the death of ivan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1440505294870.gif (2MB, 500x490px) Image search: [Google]
1440505294870.gif
2MB, 500x490px
just finished reading tolstoy's 'the death of ivan ilyich'. i have been depressed for a long time now. what books should I read next, so that I finally gather the courage to kill myself?
>>
The Sayings of the Desert Fathers
>>
>>8390774
are you trying to tell me to read the bible?if so, shame on you
>>
>>8390757
No Longer Human

>>8390788
Fag
>>
war and war
>>
>>8390757
I know I'm gonna sound like a fag for trying to talk you out of it (probably bait etc.), but have you read Tolstoy's Confessions? He talks about his own experience with suicide in that one, and the ways he found of overcoming his own crisis. Might be helpful desu.
>>
>>8390851
thank you
>>
>>8390902
np m8
>>
Arthur Koestler
>>
>>8390902
Oh, and just a little forewarning: Tolstoy's solution to the problem of suicide is pretty inherently religious in nature.

If you're looking for a secular reason to stay alive, then I'm not sure I can help all that greatly, since I'm trying to work through that one myself. The best can come up with is that depression is a negative state, in which you get a sense of constant pervasive emptiness and void and, to some degree, non-being. Suicide simply transfers you to another negative state of non-being. The goal we should be working towards is a greater fullness of being in that case, since this is the proper opposite of the depressed state, not the death which mimics it. You might argue that the difference is awareness, that we are aware of this negative state in life but not in death. And I wouldn't really have an answer because, like I say, I'm still working on it. But i think there's something in directing your envy towards a fullness of being, rather than towards another form of negation (which is the nature of suicide).
>>
>>8390757
The Death of Ivan Ilych is supposed to make you appreciate life more, you pleb.
>>
Read some Camus
>>
>>8391170
This. I didn't even really feel bad for him since everything that happened was essentially his own fault.
>>
>>8391177
>everything that happened was essentially his own fault
story of my life, I can relate to him, that's what made the book so depressing
>>
You can read and learn much from the teachings of the Buddha and meditation without having to give yourself over to it as a way of life. Happiness can always made and fear abolished. You say you lack the courage or if I may paraphrase you're scared to do it. Suicide is really one of the easiest things in the world if you are determined, you can bite the veins out your wrist or starve yourself at any time, and what is a few days or hours of mortal pain compared to infinite nothing.

But on the flip side what is infinite nothing compared to the joys and possibilities life has if you are willing to abandon your fear and take them. There are plenty of fine ways to spend your time before the inevitable, death is always coming but the opportunities in this world might never come again.

I only mean well in saying that. There's too much sadness in this world and sometimes the hardest thing to do is help ourselves.

Also Steppenwolf by Hesse might be interesting to you. No religion involved.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.