[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok so I started reading philosophy but how am I supposed to judge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1469854358617.gif (961KB, 213x169px) Image search: [Google]
1469854358617.gif
961KB, 213x169px
Ok so I started reading philosophy but how am I supposed to judge a philosopher's ideas if I have no established methods with which to judge them? How do I escape the philosophical vacuum?
>>
Step 1: no more anime.
>>
start with the greeks
>>
>>8390415

You have to understand before you can agree or disagree. Learn to suspend judgment. That's at least half of being a good reader as far as philosophy goes.

The other half has something to do with being able to recite/recall conclusions, arguments, definitions and assumptions.

Only plebes think you have to agree/disagree with every argument you encounter.

in a phrase: It's not a vacuum, it's a filling of the vacuum.
>>
>>8390425
I did.

>>8390437
That's how I've been going. I don't bother to try to agree or disagree because I feel as if I'm not qualified enough because I haven't read enough. But I'm not really sure when and how I'll do that.
>>
1) Take everything Socrates (via Plato) as law.
2) Compare it _your_ current reality.
3) Create your new reality based on the synthesis of the two (Keep what you agree with and discard the rest)

Continue ad infinitum with new philosophers.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.