[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on Nietzsche’s doctrine of eternal recurrence and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: Nietzsche187a.jpg (632KB, 1464x1986px) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche187a.jpg
632KB, 1464x1986px
The idea that everything you’re experiencing, you experience over and over again. You live this life an infinite number of times, and in a multiverse, maybe in fact that’s true in some weird way. Let’s just say it’s a claim about you as a single subject really living for an eternity in this condition. Every choice you make, you have to live it again and again and again and again. So is it ever reasonable to entertain that idea? If you entertain it in whatever way you can without claiming to know if it’s true, you can say well if I’m going to use that as a filter with which to look at all of my choices. If I knew that I had to have any given conversation an infinite number of times, this will be part of the indelible record of my lifeline in the cosmos, and it’s going to happen again and again, would I choose to do this exactly as I’m doing it now. Would I want to be petty, in the way that I just was petty, again and again and again? And it has a kind of ethically clarifying result when you think in those terms. Why not use your time as productively and as beautifully as possible given that it’s going to repeat again and again and again.

I guess you could have this same effect if you take the atheist consideration that you get one shot at this, this is the only way you are going to live this Monday because this Monday is never coming back, use it wisely. That’s probably something that you could claim to believe and it might have the same effect but I’m just saying there are filters you can put on your cognitive and emotional life which you could hold in a kind of instrumental way.
>>
>>8390111
Nietzsche literally just rambled for like 4 decades
>>
It's a thought experiment, you dumbo, he didn't think that was what actually happened.
>>
>>8390115
fpbp
/threaded
>>
>>8390111
>tfw will always find myself shitposting about women and nonwhites on 4chan

At least I'm white and a male
>>
It doesn't matter, you experience it subjectively moment by moment and to act like it is happening when you don't know whether it will is to distance yourself from what likely is the case for life I.e you live once and then nothing forever. Pointless thought experiment. It's just lopping on a good for nothing concept onto your life
>>
>>8390111
I wished for the same as a kid. I thought about the Christian idea of heaven and thought it devalued this existence completely and I hated that. If this existence could be experienced forever, backwards and forwards, that would be too good to be true. That would be real justice.
>>
>>8390120
yes he did
>>
>>8390322
Maybe. The only way you can reach your conclusion is it we pay attention to his posthumous scribbles which are incredibly difficult to place (if even they have any) in his philosophical system. If we just take the works he published there is no way to conclude it is anything other than a thought experiment, if we take his notes it comes down to how serious you take the ones in regards to the eternal recurrence. It could be the jotting down of a quick thought that was meant to be expanded upon (with or without actually endorsing it), it could be what would eventually become an aphorism in a mature work, it could be an ironic or overblown statement which is ultimately and intentionally untrue.
>>
>>8390569
conservation of energy basically demands eternal recurrence under the 19th century understanding of physics. It's not surprising that Nietzsche reached this conclusion but rather surprising that many of his contemporaries did not.

Things like Hubble's discovery of the (seemingly) endless expansion of the universe might provide a way out of ER (expanding the closed system infinitely), but ER isn't off of the table either considering how poorly understood the physics of it all are. Astronomy's still at a point where they need to throw around shit like dark matter and dark energy to make the equations work nowadays, the field's ripe for upheaval.
>>
>>8390120
That's literally the realization Zarathustra comes to. It's that even though he's come to a great understanding of the world and transcended everything, he's going to have to do it again and again forever. He's cursed to constantly come and try to spread the message among the people.
>>
It's a thought experiment. Read the more expository stuff right after Thus Spoke, Beyond Good and Evil for instance.

He is not making a claim about the physical universe. This is obvious.

It's like, blah blah blah, the weight of action, blah blah the act of recreation to create each moment, muh overcoming in dionysian strides.
>>
>>8392140
In The Will to Power he states he believes in it because given an infinite time and a finite amount of elements they would necessarily repeat certain eventsinifinitely.
>>
>>8392140
He doesn't make a blatant claim about the physical universe in published works but it's clear based on his notebooks and what he implies in Zarathustra that he actually did believe that ER is literally true.

But read Nietzsche to understand why that isn't actually important. Even if it were literally true, if it were to make us weaker we shouldn't accept it as a belief. But the fact of the matter is that the doctrine of eternal recurrence would make us stronger than a metaphysical doctrine presented by most religions because it would tell you that there is no reward for having lived an insipid life, and in fact there is a rather severe punishment for it in that you must repeat it.
>>
If anyone actually gives a shit about this topic, read volume 2 of Heidegger's lectures on Nietzsche.

>https://www.amazon.com/Nietzsche-Vol-Power-Eternal-Recurrance/dp/0060638419/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471120532&sr=8-1&keywords=nietzsche+heidegger

That is, if you weren't just here for the masturbatory fantasies.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.