[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would someone who's not religious/ spiritual get anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 8117HB7WbvL.jpg (303KB, 1400x2092px) Image search: [Google]
8117HB7WbvL.jpg
303KB, 1400x2092px
Would someone who's not religious/ spiritual get anything out of this?
>>
>>8385552
Yeah dude, in fact I'd argue It's a more involving read if you're not
>>
>>8385552
Probably more than a dogmatic religious person, but not if you are a Dawkins-tier dogmatic atheist. If you aren't militant about any particular dogma, than this book will shape your life in some way almost guaranteed.Dostoevsky is one of the most honest and genuine writers to have lived. No one gets off the hook in his deep explorations and examinations of how we view the world, not atheists, and no Christians
>>
>>8385563
>>8385567

good posts
>>
>>8385552
P&V?

Not for me!
>>
>>8385552
I have been watching some movies off my backlog the past few weeks and Just saw The Seventh Seal, and The Passion of Joan of Arc (the black and white one) Synecdoche New York, and finally The Tree of Life

Those four movies were probably not a good idea to watch in such close proximity, but they really go straight for the big questions without being ironic or treating the matter with any less weight that is deserves. And several times I was reminded of and went back to some passages from this book to further elucidate things. Particularly the story of the old Monk from when he was young (which I think the Tree of Life is directly alluding to in some lines of the movie:

"Someday, we'll fall down and weep, and we'll understand it all."

Which sounded a lot like what the old monk said near the end of his story after the duel.

Also The Grand Inquisitor passages handle the question of human freedom better than anything I have ever seen or read, and provided immense clarity/context when wrestling with similar themes.

And lastly when Ivan is talking with Satan, those passages came back to mind.

I read the book like 4 years ago, and the fact 3 distinct passages returned to me vividly when wrestling with these sort of things in other masterpieces is a testament to the staying power of the book.

People like Wittgenstein, who became an atheist as a child, actually converted upon reading this book when he picked up while on the Russian front in WWI fighting for Austria. He committed entire passages from the book to memory.
>>
>>8385617
>People like Wittgenstein, who became an atheist as a child, actually converted upon reading this book when he picked up while on the Russian front in WWI fighting for Austria. He committed entire passages from the book to memory.
Oh shut the fuck up. He started rethinking things when he read Tolstoy's Gospel in Brief.
>>
>>8385632
No, it wasn't actually reading, it was his friendship with Elizabeth Anscombe.
>>
>>8385644
You're a fucking idiot lad. That might actually be the worst post I've ever seen.
>>
no you need to channel the spirit of christ and dosto in order to get it. also speak russian, otherwise you're better off killing yourself
>>
>>8385672
basically this. also read all the greeks and shakespeare first, otherwise dostoevsky's words will go way over your head.

no just delete this stupid fucking thread op.
>>
>>8385632
He probably picked that up the same day as Dostoevsky, he read both on the Russian front, and we know he at least large portions of Dostoevsky to memory. So it's not way off base for anon to say he probably converted while reading Dostoevsky, though Wittgenstein's Christianity (and that of both Tolstoy and Dostoevsky) are far fetched from what I think most people think of when they hear "Christian"

>>8385672
>>8385701
>>8385650
>>8385632
Also guys, OP was having a nice thread with decent responses before this.
>>
>>8385552
Yeah, he'd become religious/spiritual.
>>
>>8385552
What's a good for translation for this and notes from underground?
>>
>>8385552
loved the setting, disliked the pathetic characters (cannot identify with the pathos of the russians)
>>
>>8386211
English
>>
File: IMG-20160729-WA0000.jpg (40KB, 599x857px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160729-WA0000.jpg
40KB, 599x857px
>>8386215
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.