[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lets talk about chinese literature /lit/ What are your favorite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

Lets talk about chinese literature /lit/

What are your favorite characters and themes?

Im currently reading the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" and was wondering why it mentions bribes so frequently? Are bribes common in chinese culture? How is corruption viewed in China? (in ancient and modern times)
>>
When did Chinese people stop being human? Was it Communism?
>>
>>8384126
During mongol rule, just like russians
>>
>>8384119
asa dalai lama ching chong ding dong motherfucker
>>
>>8384139
>>
File: korean_sand_art.jpg (126KB, 736x412px) Image search: [Google]
korean_sand_art.jpg
126KB, 736x412px
He's pretty cool, the monk is ass though.
>>
>>8384119
>Are bribes common in chinese culture?
Haha now that you mention it every chinese book I've ever read, even some modern novels, featured frequent bribing. Based on that, yes, it would seem that giving a gift whenever asking something of someone is or was the norm
>>
>>8384119
me on the second to right
>>
>>8384164
is no bribe, is cooperation agreement present, dirty lies to chinese, but we are no bribers, very friendly
>>
>>8384126
Not sure when did Chinese stop being human but I am pretty sure Chinese stopped being Chinese after Song which is basically >>8384136
>>
File: 1.png (207KB, 569x327px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
207KB, 569x327px
read some wuxia
>>
>>8384374
is it pronounced wucksya or woo shee uh?
>>
大寫變人, 好寫變世
-鳥鼦
>>
>>8384381
woo shh-ya
>>
>>8384153
I really didn't intend to, but I stopped reading Journey to the West after monkey. It's so much less interesting.
>>
File: 56733224_p1_master1200.jpg (188KB, 848x1200px) Image search: [Google]
56733224_p1_master1200.jpg
188KB, 848x1200px
>>8384119
I really want to read some chinese lit (mostly journey to the west and
strange tales from a chinese studio) what are some good translations?
>>
>>8384374
>神雕侠侣rape scene
wew
>>
Hi, did anyone get as far as Soul Mountain? What are some great modern Chinese stories worth reading?

I did like Soul Mountain, but it's really more of a coda for Chinese culture along the southern borders of Han civilization. The soul searching aspect fell flat for me (with all due respect to Gao), and the circular motif answering has been done better, though in this case was nicely subtle, something I can appreciate.

I enjoyed Qian Zhongshu, as well as Three Body, if that helps. I didn't really get Can Xue, but she had some clever bits.

Also, should I pick up Water Margin? It's the last of the classic novels I have yet to read. I feel it's unduly neglected, but I don't know if I have enough drive to read it all the way, without contriving some means to pragmatize it.

Oh, and to answer OP, I love Journey to the West. If it's worth remarking, we happen to be on a Western board originally dedicated to an Eastern medium, the largest vehicles of which have their roots in a certain Sun D. Wukong Ball Z, of the Hidden Leaf Village.
>>
>>8384616
wuxia
>>
>>8384700
You might have mentioned that to me half a year ago. Sorry, couldn't get into it.

Are there any that incorporate Indian mythology, like Zelazny's Lord of Light? I think interplay between the two realms would be pretty cool.
>>
>>8384177
had to pose in front of sculpters for hours on end for my emperor's clone army. no im not a model haha.
>>
>>8384119
Would learning Chinese be much easier for someone very well acquainted with Korean due to linguistic interrelation than for someone who's only familiar with European languages?
>>
>>8385571
Quality post.
>>
>>8385575
Chinese has more in common with English than with Korean, so no.

Chinese and Korean have completely unrelated origins, so just take each as they are.
>>
>>8384374
l-lewd
>>
>>8384119
Yes, I'd say corruption was/is generally much more accepted. People prioritise personal relationships over more abstract ideas of universal fairness, so letting down friends or family (potentially by not giving/accepting a bribe) is a bigger deal than promoting equality by avoiding corruption.

Having said that, bribery is still seen as bad, of course. It's just the kind of bad that people would tend to accept.
>>
>>8384616
Okay I got started on the web novel, War God Asura. Title implies it's close enough to what I'm looking for (at least it's not Naruto).

It's reading like pulp (cuz it is) but I love it all the same. Remember what Eco said in Foucault's Pendulum.
>>
>>8385692
>Remember what Eco said in Foucault's Pendulum.
I do, but please remind me anyway.
>>
>>8385697
"Great Art makes fun of us as it comforts us, because it shows the world as the artists would like the world to be. The dime novel, however, pretends to joke, but then it shows us the world as it actually is - or at least the world as it will become... What has taken place in the real world was predicted in penny dreadfuls."

I think I read it when I was 14, and went full autism by taking detailed notes, since there weren't any on the internet. I initially rejected his proposition (it sounds like a Wolfe quote about symbols that I still disagree with), but I now readily understand Eco's autobiographical remarks. But I digress.
>>
File: 1460177603142.png (946KB, 1400x5552px) Image search: [Google]
1460177603142.png
946KB, 1400x5552px
>>8384119
Well...
>>
>>8384486
>>8385664
hello fellow chinks
>>
>>8385743
Tiny unreadable text, but a quick look at that suggests that despite the claim to be 'extremely well-travelled' the main complaint is 'China isn't a first-world country'. Anon cites Singapore, Japan, Taiwan etc as places which are better than China, to which the obvious answer is 'no shit, those are developed economies'.
>>
>>8385867
China is first world in certain regions. that anons anecdotal evidence should be taken with a side order of rice and salt.
>>
>>8385867
>Tiny unreadable text
CTRL++

>a quick look at that suggests that despite the claim to be 'extremely well-travelled' the main complaint is 'China isn't a first-world country'. Anon cites Singapore, Japan, Taiwan etc as places which are better than China, to which the obvious answer is 'no shit, those are developed economies'
That anon is giving a bunch of examples (out of, as he says, hundreds) in which he or those close to him have been scammed or horribly treated (ie hospitals making hit-and-run victims queue after people with coughs, and throwing them out, after telling them they could die if they don't stay in observation, when they notice the victims ran out of cash and at the same time refuse to take credit card) by the chinese due to a culture that incentives taking advantage of your peers due to the perception that, quote, "if you pay a low price for something you'll get scrap, even if it's supposed to adhere to a strict standard".

And that anon was simply recommending other anons not to learn mandarin. Not to deal with the chinese due to these reasons.
>>
>>8385743
>learn japanese

kek, chinese is literally the Latin of the east, except it's not a dead language
>>
>>8385884
Yeah, I know- my point is you could easily find similar examples for other countries with similar socio-economic conditions. As for that saying, isn't that just Chinese for 'you get what you pay for'?
>>
>>8385924
>As for that saying, isn't that just Chinese for 'you get what you pay for'?
I don't know. I don't speak mandarin.

But assuming it is - I live in the third world too. In Latin America. And although corruption IS rampant, both state/industry corruption and fucking your peers over are still quite frowned upon. A "you get what you pay for" attitude is not something you'd be proud of. Which I guess comes from the christian precepts of loving thy neighbor and turning the other cheek that get thought in the west but not in China.
>>
>>8385938
China has equivalents of the Christian virtues- would be kind of hard to constitute a society without them. Actually I seem to remember being told that Latin America could be worse than China for corruption in at least some respects- eg police randomly stopping you to extort money from you, which I've never experienced or even heard of in China. Could be wrong, though.

For what it's worth, the main international corruption index thing seems to put China ahead of quite a few Latin American countries.
>>
>>8385880
>China is first world in certain regions
I wouldn't really say so. Shanghai has plenty of astonishingly rich people, sure, but in terms of things like healthcare standards for the poorest people... nah.
>>
>>8385880

The average Chinese worker earns $4,755 a year. Almost every country has good regions where the rich people live. Even shitholes like South Africa.
>>
>>8385664
Translate, bitte
>>
>>8386528
After some time, she felt something lightly touching her eyes. In darkness she could see as clear as day, but now she could see nothing at all. Someone must have covered her eyes with a cloth. Then she felt somebody wrap their arms around her. The person at first embraced her only very timidly, but became more and more unrestrained, bolder and bolder. Little Dragon was shocked beyond the telling. She wanted to open her mouth and shout, but her mouth, her tongue wouldn't move. The other, though, seemed to respond with their own mouth, kissing her cheek. At first she thought it was Ouyang Feng assaulting her, but when she felt the side of the other's cheek his face was smooth, without Ouyang Feng's huge sideburns. Her heart stirred. Her fear slowly left her, and her desire quietly grew. It must be that Yang Guo kid playing with me, she thought. Then she felt his hands grow more and more wayward, slowly loosening her gown and belt. Little Dragon could not move. She could only let him do as he pleased, with an unwittingly feeling both of surprised delight and embarrassment.
>>
>>8386695
>her heart stirred
is pretty much a guess. I cheated and googled 心中一荡, only to find Chinese people discussing what the hell it means online...
>>
>>8385575
lots of shared vocabulary. I find that, between English grammar and all the sino words I know from Korean, Chinese isn't very difficult at all.
>>
>>8385867
do you know chinese people? my parents work in universities and every year, chinese are by far the most likely to cheat. also good friends with someone whose dad owns a business - chinese people 1000% try to cheat you and bribe you. it's their culture.
>>
>>8386733
Yeah, loads. That greentext just doesn't give me confidence that anon's a good judge of what's specific to China, and what's general developing world stuff.

I could potentially agree about the dishonesty, though. It is pretty noticeable that a lot of people from China don't have big moral issues with making shit up- feels like a pretty different value system from the UK, at least, but I don't feel qualified to judge how unique it is, and I suspect it's really hard to attribute things to 'culture' vs. 'current state of economy and society'- i.e. China is a massively competitive society with lots of people getting rich quick who don't necessarily need to treat other people well in order to get rich, because there are always more customers/clients out there.

Actually I have been meaning to read a book about the cultural differences- IIRC it's called 'Chinese truths, other truths' or something. I also have vague memories of anthropological talk about 'guilt cultures' vs. 'shame cultures', where in the European tradition what matters is how you personally feel about your shitty actions (and how God sees them, I guess), whereas in East Asia it's more about how others will respond to them (which means you avoid getting caught and deny everything). But if I remembering at all right, that's probably a really old and much-criticised concept.
>>
>>8386733

My dad works with a lot of Chinese people too, and if there is some sort of problem they will wait until the last possible moment to tell him about it. Of course by then the problem has grown into a huge shitstorm. He still likes Chinese people a lot, I think he shares that sort of mercantile spirit that a lot of them have, especially overseas Chinese.
>>
>>8386699
That basically means 'heart in...' something, I can't figure the last symbol
>>
>>8387481
So this is the wuxia equivalent of that Bleach meme?
>>
The real question:

Will the Chinese be the first people to become robots or will it be the Japanese?
>>
>>8387993
Take your hatred to /pol/ as the ban will be kicking in shortly.
>>
>>8388019
stop this strawmanning, telling people to go back to go back to /pol/ because they say anything that triggers you is lining yourself up to be prodded like a sheep
>>
>>8388019
Their biochem corpus is far in advance than ours. Their electronic old men and their flexibility has allowed them to make progress towards the mythical city on the hills.
>>
>>8388027
Okay, here's a good question then. When will Eurocuck and Americuck be majority black and brown?
>>
>>8388051
More importantly, who cares. Azn master rice will conquer all.
>>
>>8388027
Baaaaaa, bitch. :)
>>
>>8387481
>anon translates a passage from a novel, saying one phrase isn't really clear
>anon replies with a random guess based on knowing the meaning of three of the 'symbols', but apparently knowing very little Chinese
Slightly peculiar.
>>
>>8387993
Chinese are barely in the running. It'll probably be Koreans. Japan has the technological edge right now, but Koreans are more inclined to completely transform the shit out of themselves.
>>
>>8388954
Shut up baka. You know nothing.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.