[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

During a conversation with Leonard Pierce of the A.V. Club, Harold

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1470097562835.png (802KB, 1028x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1470097562835.png
802KB, 1028x1080px
During a conversation with Leonard Pierce of the A.V. Club, Harold Bloom said, "I don't know what I would choose if I had to select a single work of sublime fiction from the last century... it would probably be Mason & Dixon, if it were a full-scale book, or if it were a short novel it would probably be The Crying Of Lot 49. Pynchon has the same relation to fiction, I think, that my friend John Ashbery has to poetry: he is beyond compare."

do you agree? why haven't you read this yet?
>>
>>8382628
>Bloom puts Mason & Dixon over Gravity's Rainbow
Pretty based tbqh
>>
>>8382630
Good post.
>>
I really don't understand Bloom. He's pretty good on pre-modern literature, even if he is a one-trick pony. But on modern literature he likes the schlockiest fucking HE HE HE ITS POSTMODERN garbage that was only good for 5 years before it was overdone.

He just seems like more the kind of guy who would go and explain to random kids playing Pokemon in a museum why they should pay attention to some Durer painting, than the guy who jerks off in front of Rauschenberg's "Explosive Chili Farts #9."
>>
>>8382628
>or if it were a short novel it would probably be The Crying Of Lot 49
He was so close to being non-turgid and right, too
>>
>>8382630
>>8382637
No.
>>
>>8382630
Not really. I think if there's any reason for this it's the echo-chamber and saturation of praise surrounding Gravity's Rainbow since its release that has caused critics to cool off to its impact, but in reality everything said about it is well-deserved. Its a more intellectually interesting and ground-breaking book by far, without being contrived or blatantly grasping at meaning-- to mention things aside from its highly unique style and structure. That isn't to say Mason & Dixon isn't great, or anything less than a modern classic, or highly original in its own right. I just don't think, in 30 years or so, it will be regarded as his most important work. It's a very modern take on the feel-good novel, whereas GR is a whole different ballgame.

I will say I think TCOL49 is an odd choice for a short novel. That is one of the most forgettable of Pynchon's better works.
>>
>>8382650
>It's a very modern take on the feel-good novel
reductive
>I just don't think, in 30 years or so, it will be regarded as his most important work
well in 90 years or so bleeding edge will be regarded as his most important and it's not as good as either of them, so that's all fairly irrelevant
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.