[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Never read a book since high school. Now 23. Is it too late for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: iStock_000002193842Small.jpg (74KB, 570x378px) Image search: [Google]
iStock_000002193842Small.jpg
74KB, 570x378px
Never read a book since high school. Now 23. Is it too late for me to become /lit/?
>>
>>8382580
No.
>>
>>8382590
Good post.
>>
go read
>>
>>8382580
No, just start reading again.
>>
No. Any other questions?
>>
>>8382580
don't "become /lit/". if you want to read, read. if you don't, don't.
>>
It's never too late to read a book. I hope you find something you like.
>>
You have cca 50 years left to become /lit/ (whatever that means). Go read a fucking book already.
>>
>>8382580
No it's not. Not at all. You may be in want of a decent vocabulary, and your reading comprehension and speed may be inadequate. Just a matter of effort to bring them back up to par.
>>
>>8382580
Yes, I'm afraid are already demon okay!
>>
>>8382580
This is the case with most of us. I'd recommend making the most of your time though. Read good books only until you're caught up to speed.
>>
Just read what seems interesting. Some of the posts on here are okay for finding works you may like but just don't read things exclusively from here or you'll become like everyone else on this board; that's why this place is degenerating into /mu/like meme-culture.
>>
This is crazy I'm 23 too and I want to become /lit/ God, but my English is below average. wat do?
>>
>>8383647
Learn english
>>
>>8383705

Listen betch, to be or not to be, I know English okay. I just need guide to be a /lit/ legend.
>>
>>8383732
>to be a /lit/ legend.
Setting the bar awfully low for yourself, I see.
>>
>>8383647
I'm 23 and started reading the classics about a year back. Now i'm starting comp. lit. studies at uni. There's always time to become lit.
>>
Nobody here is /lit/, so don't worry.

In fact, nobody can be /lit/, it's a journey, a state you seek to attain, but can never fully attain. Most people here aren't /lit/ and will never be /lit/. But you are always welcome amongst the inner circle of those who are progressing toward it.
>>
every book you read takes you further away from being /lit/

no one here reads
>>
To be /lit/ you just have to read the 100-120 books that regularly get memed here and that should only take 2 years.
If you wanted to be well read its already too late for you.
>>
>>8384873
Got a list of those books, kind anon?
>>
>>8384873
>>8384887
Please reply, oh kind anon.
>>
File: 1446273667201.png (316KB, 425x450px) Image search: [Google]
1446273667201.png
316KB, 425x450px
>>8383732
One of the most effective methods of learning or improving in a second language is reading in it. You get better at reading and can read more by reading more, there is no secret and that's a good thing. You literally just keep reading and it gets better as it goes, you notice more references to other works or common themes, you recognize words you didn't before, shit that used to be difficult becomes easier. Just get a dictionary and pick up some books.
>>
File: 1470668557254.jpg (255KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1470668557254.jpg
255KB, 1200x900px
>>8384873
Don't see why it would be too late. A lot of books here seem ""worth"" reading for Americans only, pertaining to American culture post 1900. I don't see why anyone other than an American would be interested in white-blacks relationships or Vietnam novels. Seriously I'd rather read a history book.
>>
>>8382580
In my experience, a lot of people take a break from reading after high school for three or four years and then get back into it.

I was 23, had only read about two or three books since high school, kicked it up a gear, now I'm in my honours year majoring in English. at university with a scholarship, so, yeah, not too late. I'm 27 btw.
>>
>>8384887
>>8384925
Harvard Classics or Western Canon, they have wikipedia pages. The /lit/ starter kit with entry level summer reading is good too i guess.

Or you could read books about what you like. Look up a subject in wikipedia and go to further reading.
>>
>>8385023
Plot and setting are easily the least important aspects of a literary work.
>>
is it too late for you to become a modern day Samuel Johnson? probably. is it too late for you to read literature and enjoy it, and maybe even become wiser for having done so? absolutely not
>>
File: iOgCXeb[1].jpg (1MB, 1819x4347px) Image search: [Google]
iOgCXeb[1].jpg
1MB, 1819x4347px
take this list with a grain of salt
>>
>>8386014
http://thegreatestbooks.org/

also pls dont start with proust/joyce/cervantes/wallace/homer

first you have to learn how to read
>>
File: 1365475090228[1].jpg (418KB, 747x1417px) Image search: [Google]
1365475090228[1].jpg
418KB, 747x1417px
>>8386022
desu just start here
>>
>>8386028
also don't tell people you're a reader if you don't read atleast 30 books a year
>>
>>8386030
Why 30? Seems like such an arbitrary number to choose. Most people don't have the same amount of free time. Someone who works 12 hour days can't find the same time as a neet to read. Doesn't mean they're not readers.
>>
>>8386084
Because it has been like that since Foucault.
>>
>>8386028
Is it just me, or is Lolita substantially better than anything on that list?
>>
>>8382580
You have a life time ahead of you, potentially 75 years or more. So it isn't too late to become acquainted with the Western canon. Crawl before you walk; don't start by leaping into James Joyce or the Russian authors.
>>
>>8386028
Too much anglo crap. There are several minor works that don't deserve to be here, sure a beginner shouldn't immediately challenge himself with the greats but it doesn't mean the starter kit should be full of irrelevant shit.
>>
>>8386110
Clockwork Orange is on par with Lolita IMO, in terms of exuberance. New readers could still do far worse than reading everything on >>8386028
>>
>>8386129
>>8386112
Which lists do you recommend, trip friend? Also, if I may ask, how old were you when you started reading seriously?
>>
>>8386028
OP said he wanted to become /lit/, not start going to an American high school. Don't waste your time on mediocre authors like Bret Easton Ellis, Harper Lee or Kurt Vonnegut, there are lots of books that are both easy to read and actually important in the Western Canon™. The only stuff you should read in that list : Gatsby, Catcher in the Rye, Lolita, Dorian Grey, Siddhartha, Huckleberry Finn.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.