[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any modern day equivalent of pulp fiction still going

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4

Is there any modern day equivalent of pulp fiction still going on in your country?

Do somebody still sells magazines with collections of genre short stories with colorful covers?

I miss pulp literature, guys. And comics doesn't count.
>>
The 30s-60s seem to have been a unique moment that allowed for the rise of pulps, a moment that will never come again. They were popular enough so that talented writers could write for them and be well numerated. Just hear how Kurt Vonnegut raised several children, keeping the wolf from the door by the proceeds from his short stories. Also Chandler, Lovecraft, Robert Howard, Sturgeon, all of whom preferred the short form.

The internet, e-book, and self publishing phenomenon is not conducive enough for a return of that culture, despite access to reading being widened, and the gatekeepers of publishing being banished. If there are good quality short story periodicals then they are either free and unread, or prohibitively expensive and unread.

Nevertheless, I could be incorrect, and if this is so then I am ready to hear the wisdom of my betters. I just do not think we will see another Weird Tales, Black Mask, Astounding Science Fiction etc, again.
>>
File: 51eaUfwW2IL._SY346_.jpg (31KB, 258x346px) Image search: [Google]
51eaUfwW2IL._SY346_.jpg
31KB, 258x346px
>>8381347
Amazon has collections of short stories by genre and something called kindle megapacks that seems to fit into the "new pulp" criteria.

No idea about the quality, probably very low.
>>
In Sweden the only thing people read are terribly written crime novels. And I've even seen people claim that Sweden is a "great contributor to world literature" or "a literature giant" and things along those lines since apparently retards in other countries gobble that shit up as well. Meanwhile most of the actually great classic Swedish literature isn't even in print anymore since nobody reads it.
>>
>>8381314
One word, anon
Fanfiction
>>
>>8382104
I'm at a loss of words desu
>>
File: bear trouble.jpg (50KB, 312x500px) Image search: [Google]
bear trouble.jpg
50KB, 312x500px
>>8382037
I'd say the Amazon self-published world qualifies, and really came about for the same reason. A massive cut in the cost of production creates a vacuum that sucks in new content to fill it, filling ever more selective niches.

The general quality of pulp fiction was mostly as bad or worse than what you find on Amazon. Read a few direct from the source rather than curated anthologies: http://www.pulpmags.org/magazines.html . And it wasn't restricted to short fiction -- plenty of novels were serialized in the pulps.

Of course with other entertainment options it will never be as big but it's still a pretty vibrant scene.
>>
File: PEC-G-1103-1966-600x937.jpg (292KB, 600x937px) Image search: [Google]
PEC-G-1103-1966-600x937.jpg
292KB, 600x937px
I love pulp literature (or at least part of it). Some of them have some deepness although they are usually direct when making a comment. Literally god-tier cheap lit.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.