[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where my gadflies at? Anyone wanna talk about The Recognitions?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: gaddis_recognitions.jpg (225KB, 800x1238px) Image search: [Google]
gaddis_recognitions.jpg
225KB, 800x1238px
Where my gadflies at?

Anyone wanna talk about The Recognitions? Favourite characters, episodes, themes/leitmotifs?
Did anyone "get" Anslem's castration scene without looking it up on the guide?
On a scale of "1" to "someone fucking died," how would you rate Esther's Christmas party?
>>
>>8378546
Naw dude, its all about that Agapē
>>
>>8378609
I haven't gotten to that one yet. I'm afraid of reading Frolic because I might not enjoy it as much as I liked his first 3 so I've just been rereading R, JR and CG for the past 3 years.
>>
>>8378546
It was basically a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's not quite as dramatic, but I'd say J R is a lot better.

Though anyway, looking back my favorite part was Gaddis's takedown of how to win friends and influence people.
>>
>>8378619
If you liked his first three you'll like Frolic. I'm 20 pages off from the end of it now and it's been great.
>>
>>8378546

ah, the secret final boss of the meme 'trilogy'.
i need to re-read it, got through it without understanding everything when I was 19. I remember thinking the first episode was the best, very tight beautiful prose.
>>
>>8378546
SPOILERSSSSS
lmao I thought he cut something off. no idea what it was. I thought maybe his tongue. looked it up. so wrong. I loved esme she was a sweetheart. any chapters with wyatts dad were my favorite. the highlight of the book for me was when wyatt went back home and no one knew who he was.

gotta admit though, last bit of the book dragged on and I wanted it to be over. a few parts were boring as fuck.

on the real I thought J R was a lot better. better pacing. way more laughs.
>>
>>8379272
Not OP but Wyatt's dad was probably the best character overall, yeah.

And the parts of the last third where it was just Wyatt/"Stephan" boozing and whoring around the parts of Spain his dad visited with Mr. Sinisterra/"Yak" did drag. Though it was cool to see that Gaddis actually remembered him at all after the gap between his first and second appearances being several hundred pages (from what I recall he kills Wyatt's mom in the beginning with his quackery and his next appearance is late in part 2 when he forges that fake cash and gives it to Otto by mistake).
>>
Even Delillo knows J R is his best.
>>
>>8379447
'Even', he said, as if his opinion was somehow worth less than anonymous shit posters clinging to the fourth most talked about book on a Norwegian paddle boat carving panel.
>>
>>8379272
>I loved esme she was a sweetheart
I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I really like that Gaddis seems to make the slower or more innocent characters kind of like chorus figures, sibylline, clairvoyant: I'm talking about Esme but also Fuller and Janet. Esme writes Rilke's First Duino Elegy by-way-of Pierre Menard and Janet seems to be on a different plane of existence during the Homecoming.
>>
File: rev_gwyon.jpg (42KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
rev_gwyon.jpg
42KB, 512x512px
>>8379499
Also, did anyone else get a kind of Heart of Darkness vibe from Wyatt's homecoming?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.