[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you guy's think, despite their plain disdain for the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1391663006642.gif (288KB, 516x628px) Image search: [Google]
1391663006642.gif
288KB, 516x628px
Do you guy's think, despite their plain disdain for the poet, both Byron and Shelley utilize Wordsworthian sublimity in their poetry?

As in Shelley's "Power" (With a capital P) and Byron's "true creativity" are one and the same, and are also the same as Wordsworth's Sublime? Especially when the poetry itself involves nature?

Or do you think that that attribution is too bold and that Wordsworth's popularity and notoriety made it so everything ecological in that time just kinda automatically becomes attributes to him?

I think the latter, just because I like to find patterns in Romanticism. Also, because my thesis depends on it.
>>
> utilize Wordsworthian sublimity

I have never clothed my thoughts in such hideous words as these, no
>>
>>8376899
I mean it in a literal sense. As in, "Wordsworth's definition of the Sublime"
>>
>>8376903
well I think one should distinguish: Byron may use a Wordsworthian sort of sublimity, but "use" is the word: it's largely an affect, a bit of poetical license. I think it comes as naturally and honestly to Shelley as it does to Wordsworth, though Shelley seldom achieves it as Wordsworth does because he's a great deal less brilliant than Wordsworth
>>
Any examples to support your thesis, op?
>>
What do you mean by Byron and Shelley's disdain for the poet?
>>
>>8377029
Shelley didn't disdain Wordsworth; at least, not the legacy of Wordsworth's peak creative years. By Shelley's time Wordsworth had become an old Tory, and Shelley had some disdain for that. But I think OP's word isn't right to describe how Shelley felt for Wordsworth. Obviously there was veneration in it, too.

Byron, on the other hand, had no good feelings about Wordsworth. He might have liked a few of his poems, but he didn't like the poet. Took every opportunity to call him "Mr. Turdsworth" in his letters. Why he felt that way, I just don't know.
>>
File: bc nsx.jpg (33KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
bc nsx.jpg
33KB, 480x270px
>>8377054
>Took every opportunity to call him "Mr. Turdsworth" in his letters.
>MFW IT'S FUCKING TRUE

>Southey and Wordsworth – or as he writes in the letter: "Southey and Turdsworth such renegado rascals."
>>
>>8377054
Kek, byron
>>
File: 1369636195991.jpg (33KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1369636195991.jpg
33KB, 250x250px
>>8376897
I think you missed something somewhere, all three were romanticists who rejected the poetic structures and content of those who preceded them. These feelings of disdain are probably brought on by the rigorous "rules" they felt bound poetry from before their time. If they were dismissive of poetry they probably didn't give their contemporaries a chance, and if they argued the merit of their contemporaries it was only to push their views. Byron and Shelley were influenced by the same people as Wordsworth, they wrote at roughly the same time, it's natural for their writing to share similarities even if they outwardly reject that possibility.

Look at politics for example, often candidates will share similarities on issues but they need to showcase differences to get their votes and they will, often times, act hypocritically to further their agenda. In this case, the argument of one form of literature over another.

inb4 you plagiarize me nigga
>>
>>8378001
you could also say that they disliked wordsworth because they felt that nature wasn't enough to make poetry relate to everyday life, or that his topics were too mundane and they felt there should be a balance between what he produced and those who predated the romantics. idk I don't want to harp on you, but I feel like your premise is weak, it's so narrow and it feels ultimately unimportant. I probably haven't studied the romantics as much as you but it's my favorite era of poetry so I have studied more than most and I don't think that issue is really worth thesis length deliberation. Why do you feel differently?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.