[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who here has read The Divided Self? I just finished it. It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 7983549.jpg (173KB, 311x371px) Image search: [Google]
7983549.jpg
173KB, 311x371px
Who here has read The Divided Self? I just finished it. It's a very interesting read and I learned from it. It would have been nice to see him go into how schizoid individuals can use their traits for creative achievement. I saw a lot of myself in his description of the schizoid condition. And he made schizophrenia a lot clearer than it had been to me previously.
What do you think?
>>
I think I'm still tripping on that CHEW-Z you gave me ...
>>
I've never read it but I have read The Politics of Experience and remember absolutely nothing about it except that it seemed like the incoherent ravings of a quack.
It seemed like 1960s "I'm ok you're ok we're all ok we just discovered eastern mysticism" stuff.

The one thing I did agree with was the view of schizophrenia as a human process, but this is apparent to anyone who reflects on it for more than a second and it is never made clear how exactly this conception is supposed to reformulate how we handle and treat the mentally ill.

Also appendaged to the book was Dr. Laing's artless "Birds of Paradise" which really made him sound like a complete lunatic if he hadn't already.
>>
>>8371908
Me too

>>8371918
Well, that is not at all how TDS seemed. It gives an explanation/description of the processes in schizoidism and schizophrenia and emphasises that actually listening to the patient, rather than checking for symptoms and then diagnosing, is the way to treat them. I have to say I agree.

I have heard that his later books are held in lower esteem, but I'm interested in them nevertheless. I'm not interested in any dismissal of them as "lunacy".. that doesn't seem an insightful point of view at all.
>>
>>8371949

>I'm not interested in any dismissal of them as "lunacy"..that doesn't seem an insightful point of view at all.

You haven't read it yet retard. Was the guy your grandpa or something?
Birds of Paradise is absolutely loony. Can't wait to hear your "insight" about that piece of shit lol.

As for "actually listening to the patient", it's hard to imagine a more vapid point about which to write a book.
>>
>>8371979
Well you clearly have no insight.

>As for "actually listening to the patient", it's hard to imagine a more vapid point about which to write a book.

Obviously it is not the entire book... you haven't read it yet retard.
>>
>>8371991

I'm taking your word for it. That's literally what you said it was about 5 minutes ago.
Please tell us what other mind-blowing revelations it contains.
>>
Clearly I'm an idiot for hoping /lit/ may be capable of discussion above memes and shitposting.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.