[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we please talk about Plato's Republic? What did you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (58KB, 777x455px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 777x455px
Can we please talk about Plato's Republic? What did you pull from it? Do you agree? How long have you had autism?
>>
>>8369094
You believe that Kallipolis is meant to be a literal model of government?
>>
>>8369094
I got bad news for you buddy.
>>
File: ll.jpg (68KB, 630x400px) Image search: [Google]
ll.jpg
68KB, 630x400px
>>8369082
I guess democracy is shit. I can't help but see similarities in Plato's tripartite conception of the soul and Freud's psychoanalytic models of the unconscious mind, I don't know if the similarity was intentional. He made a good point about sense summoning attributes of ordinary objects (appendages) in relation to abstract entities. The life of a philosopher king is thankless. Republic was probably the first attempt I've seen to lay out a framework for unifying what would eventually become physics and metaphysics. An all around swell defense of the rationalist project and a thought provoking schema for the relationship between body, mind and nature. I award it a 10 out of 10. thanks obongo
>>
>>8369131
I've actually thought about the similarities between the tripartite soul and the Id, Ego, and Superego as well. Not quite the same, but similar enough to be worth mentioning for sure.
>>
File: 1470459480917.jpg (21KB, 260x295px) Image search: [Google]
1470459480917.jpg
21KB, 260x295px
>tfw thrasymachus is right
>>
>>8369131
>>8369139
There's also a dream theory in Bk IX. "The tyrants do in waking life what the rest of us do only in dreams..."
>>
>>8369131
Think I've heard my professor mention the similarity in passing when we were discussing the book, good on you to have made the connection!

I agree on the fact that it tried to put together physics and metaphysics, it made me realize ontology should be the basis of every theory of politics.
>>
File: image.jpg (40KB, 560x320px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40KB, 560x320px
>>8369173
If only.
>>
>>8369082
the main thing i got from republic was Thrasymachus' argument.

The just is the will of the stronger, which is why the mores of the people writ large correlate almost 1:1 with those of the ruling class, who have, as Max Weber would say, a monopoly over the """legitimate""" use of force.

I don't believe in high functioning autism, but if it is real I probably have it.
>>
>>8369082
>muh forms
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.