[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"I know you, I know you. You're the only serious person

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (295KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
295KB, 2000x1333px
"I know you, I know you. You're the only serious person in the room, aren't you, the only one who understands, and you can prove it by the fact that you've never finished a single thing in your life. You're the only well-educated person, because you never went to college, and you resent education, you resent social ease, you resent good manners, you resent success, you resent any kind of success, you resent God, you resent Christ, you resent thousand-dollar bills, you resent Christmas, by God, you resent happiness, you resent happiness itself, because none of that's real. What is real, then? Nothing's real to you that isn't part of your own past, real life, a swamp of failures, of social, sexual, financial, personal...spiritual failure. Real life. You poor bastard. You don't know what real life is, you've never been near it. All you have is a thousand intellectualized ideas about life. But life? Have you ever measured yourself against anything but your own lousy past? Have you ever faced anything outside yourself? Life! You poor bastard."

But seriously, what did he mean?
>>
Are you implying I'm smarter than you?
>>
fuck that kind of hurts to read
>>
>>8366532
Lol it's ok cos nothing is real
>>
>>8366532
uhh...NEETS btfo???
>>
oh dear

here come those

LITERATURE INDUCED BLUES
>>
>>8366532
Overly sentimental cliche tier self righteous babble
>>
File: 1443306464447.jpg (50KB, 959x482px) Image search: [Google]
1443306464447.jpg
50KB, 959x482px
>>8366572
it's pretty true though. i'm a mid twenties virgin pseudointellectual who was an edgy 'cynic' all my teenage life, who looked down on pretty much anyone who believed in anything or enjoyed anything, and what do I have to show for it? loneliness, inexperience, my youth is half gone, the most precious years already. i've got nothing but maybe a nihilist's integrity. at least i never tried and failed, right?
>>
Wood drastically underestimates the impact of social distinctions predicated upon wealth - especially inherited wealth.
>>
>>8366532

Guess I'm going to have to read The Recognitions now.
>>
>>8366582
Pseudo intelectuality is just as valid as any other experiences. Youre just weak in that you werent capable of putting your virtues --as decadent as they are-- on top of a pedestal, which is what all self righteous fags do. It's just easier for them since they live in massive circle jerks.
>>
"Oh, you don't know the man? The man's everywhere: in the White House, down the hall, Miss Mullins; she's the man! And the man ruined the ozone, and he's burning down the Amazon and he kidnapped Shamu and put her in a chlorine tank! Okay! And there used to be a way to stick it to the man, it was called rock 'n roll. But guess what? Oh no! The man had to ruin that too with a little thing called MTV! So don't waste your time trying to make anything cool or pure or awesome 'cause the man's just gonna call you a fat washed up loser and crush your soul. So do yourself a favor and just give up!"

At least post the rest of the quote.
>>
>>8366599
Kek
>>
The Recognitions = really long, really boring Catcher in the Rye
>>
>>8366572
>>8366572
>>8366572
>>
>>8366532
Thanks OP, this has made me never want to read Gaddis.
>>
>You're the only well-educated person, because you never went to college, and you resent education, you resent social ease, you resent good manners, you resent success, you resent any kind of success, you resent God, you resent Christ, you resent thousand-dollar bills, you resent Christmas, by God, you resent happiness, you resent happiness itself, because none of that's real
THAT SOME HUGE PROJECTION
>>
This sounds like a quote from Good Will Hunting.
>>
really makes you think
>>
Wow, Bill! You sure are better than everyone else.
What a silly passage.
>>
>>8366572
>>8367012
>>8367035
>>8367037
>>8367043
>A character in a novel is the writer
>>
>>8367046
Are you retarded, lad?
>>
>>8367049
No, are you?
>>
File: images.jpg (16KB, 368x399px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
16KB, 368x399px
>>8366599

holy fucking kek
>>
>>8367054
That's not in question. I didn't make a post that raised suspicion the way yours did.
>>
gaddis so funny. J R was easily the funniest book I've ever read. almost a laugh per page.
>>
>>8366532

Basically he's just reiterating what Kierkegaard said about demons.
>>
/lit is nowhere near smart enough to handle Gaddis. if they tried to read the recognitions they would probably shit out their dicks. if they tried to read J R they would have no deal who's talking and make threads like

DUDE WHO'S TALKING LMAO

I see people posting about how infinite jest is difficult rofl. fucking plebs mane. total idiots
rsrsrsrsrsrsrsrsrsrs
>>
File: 1455811279270.jpg (76KB, 594x395px) Image search: [Google]
1455811279270.jpg
76KB, 594x395px
I don't know but it's sure sounds spooky.
>>
>>8367399
If your dick is so big then why don't you go fuck yourself. You obviously don't someone else's recognition, do you?
>>
>>8367399
hope youre not serious. gaddis was a pseud
>>
>>8367399
>/lit is nowhere near smart enough to handle Gaddis.
I know you, I know you. You're the only serious person in the room, aren't you, the only one who understands, and you can prove it by the fact that you've never finished a single thing in your life. You're the only well-educated person, because you never went to college, and you resent education, you resent social ease, you resent good manners, you resent success, you resent any kind of success, you resent God, you resent Christ, you resent thousand-dollar bills, you resent Christmas, by God, you resent happiness, you resent happiness itself, because none of that's real. What is real, then? Nothing's real to you that isn't part of your own past, real life, a swamp of failures, of social, sexual, financial, personal...spiritual failure. Real life. You poor bastard. You don't know what real life is, you've never been near it. All you have is a thousand intellectualized ideas about life. But life? Have you ever measured yourself against anything but your own lousy past? Have you ever faced anything outside yourself? Life! You poor bastard.
>>
>>8367429
lmao this nigger never read gaddis in his life
>>
>>8366532
normie gtfo
>>
>>8367399
I can't tell if this is just really good trolling because it's a combination of exactly the kind of character Gaddis parodies in the Recognition but also with /lit/'s immaturity and stupidity.
>>
Now I want to read gaddis. can't ever find his shit in used bookstores though.
>>
>>8367429
/lit/ flies his banner a bit too much but the guy seemed pretty straight forward. I mean, read that passage, it's not filled with references to fractals, or needless punctuation, or symbolic characters and sketches. I don't think he was a pseud.
>>
>>8367548
I've only ever found a frolic of his own. twice in the past year. I already have that book!
>>
>>8367548
>>8367562
It's in overstock at Powells lmao
>>
wtf I hate myself now
>>
sometimes the problem with satire is that reality will do
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.