[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I read Beloved and didn't like it. Specifically the way

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: toni-morrison.jpg (103KB, 400x526px) Image search: [Google]
toni-morrison.jpg
103KB, 400x526px
I read Beloved and didn't like it. Specifically the way it was written; it felt stilted and unnatural. Paint by numbers, etc. What do you all think about the works of Toni Morrison?
>>
>>8365871
There is already a thread on her.

Personally I'm redpilled and do not recommend anyone reading woman or blacks, and hence especially black women.

For me, she has no talent at all, and is only rated because of SJWs and cultural marxism
>>
>>8365909
>redpilled
>can't use 'hence' properly in a sentence
>can't use commas correctly
yeah, it shows. go back to /pol/, stop trying to fit in here
>>
>>8365871
It's hard to appreciate her works from a privileged perspective
>>
>>8365950
Is that the issue though? Shouldn't the aesthetic quality of a work be apparent regardless of background?
>>
>>8365960
>black woman
>aesthetic quality

seriously kill yourself, nu-male cuck
>>
>>8365960
>>8365976
Delicious, delicious irony
>>
File: 1463092593102.jpg (132KB, 728x491px) Image search: [Google]
1463092593102.jpg
132KB, 728x491px
>>8365976
>>
>>8365950
kill yourself
>>
>>8365909
George Eliot is better than your favorite writer you dumbmy
>>
>>8365950
>getting trolled this easily
>>
>>8365929
>>8366024

took the bait you fucking clowns
>>
At her best her prose is absolutely gorgeous. Some of the water/ghost/rememory scenes in Beloved stand out as particularly astounding, and the opening of The Bluest Eye is beautiful. But let's be real: she is the female, black version of Faulkner. She is completely, and I mean conpletely, derivative of the progress made by bigger and better writers from the Modernist period. Her insights are far and few, the greatest of them literally being that "Hey, a bunch of black people were killed and systematically damaged deeply in subsequent generations post-slavery." Not particularly insightful or original right? Conjures in my mind images of just another old, "wiser than art thou" black grandma-type sitting in her front-porch rocker and pointing to some injustice in the world, nodding her head, muttering a few disgruntlements, and falling back asleep. Alot of puff. And she doesn't even give us a resolve or a risky stance; she doesn't even engage in the Booker T. vs. W.E.B. DuBois schism which is the easiest think a black writer can do as concerns writing race fiction. She means absolutely nothing to the canon, and I have a strange suspicion that we only remotely consider her as apart of it because she's an easy token figure with enough talent to pass as a good writer while also appeasing folks who want to call the greater literary establishment racist. I do think, like most writers who haven't died off yet, she has become a poor imitation of herself, and proven she has nothing else to offer the world through her writing. But, while it seems ironic for me to say this now, I do think she is a decent writer who has some good stories to tell. I just don't think she's nearly as potent or important as people make her out to be.
>>
>>8366033
This, though personally I don't like her. She sits on the shoulders of other writers, calls herself tall, and reminds us of her race at every stop to get more cookie points.
>>
>>8366033
alright, that's pretty fair. there were times that I did enjoy what she was writing, I don't think my OP reflected that.
but for every good line or paragraph there were like two shit ones that were so bad/contrived that I had to put down the book.
derivatttive derivativeeee shit.
>>
>>8366033
This is pretty much how I feel, but even in her good parts I really couldn't say they were amazing, good, but nothing that made up for the rest of that drawl of a novel.
>>
>>8365929
>getting baited this easily
>2016
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.