[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the levels of understanding a work of literature? I'll

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

What are the levels of understanding a work of literature?

I'll start:
1. Superficial, pleb tier:
>this was a boring/simple read
>he uses a lot bad words

>>
caring most about 'quality of prose' is close to bottom tier.
i think understanding its relevance to your own life and its capacity to engage with you and alter your ways of thinking/acting/being/feeling are top tier.
>>
>>8364257
Why wouldn't you read Eckhart Tolle or cookbooks forever instead of tryna get something applicable to your life from Homer, you dumb pleb
>>
>>8364253
1. Plot
2. Conceptual aims
3. Place in the Conversation
>>
>>8364263
you are the true pleb, friend.
>>
>>8364270
no you
>>
>>8364263
Trying to get something applicable to our lives from people who lived 2000+ years before us is exactly the main reason why people are reading and studying them.
>>
As I said in another thread

pleb:
>reading for the plot

normal:
>reading for the characters

pseudo-patrician:
>reading for the prose

patrician:
>reading for the themes

genuinely insightful readers:
>realizing that all of the above have an important part working together to create a enjoyable, beautiful, and thought provoking work of literature
>>
>>8364305
How so
>>
>>8364321
I read for my love of the English language.
:^)
>>
>>8364321

This is true.
>>
>>8364321
Spot on
>>
>>8364350

This desu
>>
File: m-dawg.jpg (5KB, 237x213px) Image search: [Google]
m-dawg.jpg
5KB, 237x213px
>>8364253
Anyone else think Nabokov looks like Heidegger?
>>
>>8364253
1. Pleb:
The work as something to be consumed for some extrinsic purpose: enjoyment, distraction, desire to be conversant with some facet of culture

2. Normalshit:
The work as object of critique, as part of an art form with standards intended to produce something of quality, create an aesthetic experience, or convey an idea

3. Patrish:
The work as piece of the fabric of reality and a transformative extension of that reality
>>
>>8364257
found the pleb
>>
>>8364457
This but unironically
>>
>>8364321

Include me in the screencap
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.