[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any good books that feature solitude as central themes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1451814501806.png (80KB, 209x677px) Image search: [Google]
1451814501806.png
80KB, 209x677px
Are there any good books that feature solitude as central themes ? I've found it difficult to become interested in any literature lately due to all of the characters being in significantly less depressing situations than myself.
>>
>>8358610
100 years of solitude
>>
>>8358630
Is it actually about solitude, though ? Titles can be misleading.
>>
>>8358610
walden, but that shit is gay
zarathustra
>>
>>8358668
As far as I know, these are both books about voluntary solitude for the purpose of philosophical introspection. I want a book about social deprivation and depression. Preferably something alien and abstract.
>>
>>8358680
most people suggest notes from the underground when someone asks for r9k the book

my twisted world is another obvious pick
>>
notes from underground
fathers and sons
crime and punishment
probably more dostoyevsky fits, but i'm not too well-versed in his stuff
100 years of solitude talks about people holing themselves up in depression to toil over alchemy, craft, etc. very fuckin good book, very strange, tragicomic, etc.
ulysses to some extent. dedalus and bloom are both men isolated in some sense.
portrait as well.
hamlet.

this may apply to ALL protagonists. what are some that are NOT inclined to be alone? maybe a better question.
>>
>>8358687
I don't really want the supreme gentleman shit. I just want something about the reflection and vicarious experiences that isolation causes. I want it to be about the individual's mental processes and escapism rather than about the nature of solitude itself.

>>8358690
I read The Brothers Karamazov and it was a great book but it didn't really have anything to do with what I'm looking for. A couple of people I know recommended that I read Notes from Underground, so I guess I pretty much have to now, considering how often I get told to do so. I loved Hamlet and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, but as phenomenal as the writing is I'm just not that captured by Ulysses due to the variety in characters. I preferred how the Portrait focused on the single character without going into anything that didn't directly involve Dedalus. That's the kind of stuff I could really get into. Also, 100 Years of Solitude seems really interesting now.
>>
>>8358610
Try The Tartar Steppe senpai
>>
>>8358783
Holy shit, the plot description seems to be exactly what I've been feeling. Thank you for this, anon.
>>
>>8358610
Just read The Book of Disquiet and then shut the fuck up forever
>>
>>8358792
One of my favorite books, i couldn't find anything similar yet. Enjoy
>>
The Stranger is perfect for what you're looking for
>>
File: 1469226600546.jpg (316KB, 780x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1469226600546.jpg
316KB, 780x1600px
My twisted world is the defining peice of literature of the reddit tens (2010-2019)
>>
Tai Pei
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.