[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

William Golding wrote an essay titled 'Thinking as a Hobby'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: ilikegrannysbest.jpg (114KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
ilikegrannysbest.jpg
114KB, 960x640px
William Golding wrote an essay titled 'Thinking as a Hobby' in which he delineates what he believes are the three categories of thinkers, which can be crudely summarized with a da Vinci quote: "Those who see. Those who see when the are shown. Those who do not see." Or in other words: Intelligent free-thinkers, open-minded folk, fucking idiots.

My question to you all is, regarding stupid people: Do you think the world would be better off letting them 'think' on their own, or be directed—spoon-fed if you will—to think a certain way?

Schopenhauer's essay 'On Intelligence' is also highly relevant.
>>
File: IMG_20160803_185429.jpg (8KB, 134x137px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160803_185429.jpg
8KB, 134x137px
>>
>>8357843
>Those who do not see
>>
>>8357818
Part of me thinks its intensely immoral to coerce groups of people to do anything at all, yet another part of me thinks that the human tendency towards mob-mentality borne thoughtless actions (and even entire political movements) is one to be curbed if not wholly eliminated. So I guess my answer to your question would be similarly structured to most of my answers to either/or questions: a happy medium of both.
>>
>>8357818

We're not going to do the legwork for you to justify your genocidal ideas.
>>
>>8357858
yeah, i picked up the allusion. just fucking with you.

this
>regarding stupid people: Do you think the world would be better off letting them 'think' on their own, or be directed—spoon-fed if you will—to think a certain way
is why your thread is dead. if we, right now, implemented the course of action that is the logical follow up of an answering "no" to your question, your (presumed)education would come to a halt.

everyone is "stupid" in some way or another. that doesn't forfeit their effort at trying to be the best they can be.
>>
>>8357889
Not where my mind was going with this. The question's meant to find a way to determine the ideal approach of living in a world where the majority of people quite frankly cannot conclude their own thoughts.

>>8357905
But it isn't a yes or no question? Though I think I understand the essence of your reply. The truth is, I agree that intelligence is incredibly multifarious and that we as a species have no right to mandate something as important as a way of thinking, but I think you're assuming a bit too much when you imply that I'm in any way promoting fascism. In fact, that's the exact idea I tried to temper (poorly, I guess) with my question. Basically we can live in a world where people are, in whatever way, told how to think by governing bodies; or in one where a free-market of ideas reigns. However neither is entirely possible, so what I'm getting at is that we need to address the fact that yes, some people are as good at thinking as others are at basketball and that, despite conventional beliefs, that's okay. The whole idea that every person believes what they do because they choose to do so is cockamamie; it's as absurd (and illusory I might add) an expectation as encouraging people to perform surgery on themselves. Thinking, like medical operations, must be done, yet most democratic societies around the world operate as if it is done equally—in practical terms—by its citizens. I think this leaves much more room for mass manipulation than would be the case in a Platon Republic style society, and so on.

idk though, tell me if I sound stupid, crazy, evil, whatever. Just trying to start a dialogue on an iffy, if not slightly vague subject.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.