[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you want to believe in magic, /lit/? Couldn't this world

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: tumblr_o7x2b4vgrR1ued5n9o2_540.gif (989KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o7x2b4vgrR1ued5n9o2_540.gif
989KB, 540x304px
Do you want to believe in magic, /lit/? Couldn't this world be so much more lovely if it were so?

I know a lot of you object to magic in literature, but why? Do you see it as a shortcut? As something not reflective of the true human experience? Could you envision a magic that was?

I've read my share of occult philosophy, and though it's not the most thought provoking, something about it tugs at my heart and fills me with a somber hope that there is some kernel of truth there. When you get into it, the lines between the mystic and the psychological begin the blur and you really can envision a way for these notions of magic and demons and ritual that can coexist with a world of relative order.

Don't you ever wish there was a little more chaos at the heart of things?
>>
File: Miles.jpg (40KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
Miles.jpg
40KB, 460x460px
he Art of Magick and the Magick of Art - Miles Hingston

As mentioned previously, our brains are all about finding and decoding patterns, we are designed to think symbolically. Consider then that as children we have been taught what symbols to use to construct our model of the World. We are taught how to “spell”, or rather be put under the spell of language

Words are also symbols, when we think about things we are really thinking about the construction and interaction of various symbols, it is a code. This is the foundation of magical practice, language is an esoteric science first and foremost

Reality is at a very deep level a set of interrelated and self-referential symbols. We interpret these symbols and therefore explore reality linked to a set of codes, not all of them are conscious. Some codes have a stronger claim than other..

...Changing those codes makes us see things in a different way because we bring new symbols in contact with us. The semiotic theory of magic states that a person is able to effect communication in their universe by changing the symbols they interact with. The magickian seeks either a psychological change within themselves or an environmental change by changing their cultural coded symbols. As Philip K. Dick reminds us, “the linking and unlinking of objects is actually a language”.
>>
>>8356298

I don't believe in a singular or unified magic, not in the "chaos magick" sense where you can will anything you desire into manifestation, but rather that the beating heart of magic is the personal and the ritualistic.
>>
>>8356306

I agree with this analysis overall. I have considered magic in a semiotic/deconstruction framework and it meshes well with my critical theory education.
>>
>>8356306

This is close to my thinking as well. Whether magick has any supernatural properties at its higher levels is, at the moment, irrelevant to me, since I do not have access to such levels, and at any rate it would merely be an extreme continuation of the same principles and not at all something new.
>>
>>8356475

For me it's about the ritual practice of it, clearing my mind and focusing on the things I want for my future, discussing it with others especially is part of it for me.
>>
>Do you want to believe in magic, /lit/?
Not if it's not real because that would be delusional.
>I know a lot of you object to magic in literature, but why?
Nobody objects to magic in proper literature. I don't know what the fantasy/historical fiction people feel but that's not really literature.

>Don't you ever wish there was a little more chaos at the heart of things?
You don't make any sense. Magic is a system of order and control. We already live in a chaotic universe, having magic would be a step in the opposite direction.
>>
>>8356278
OP ur cute will you be my gf?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.