[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2 015/aug/19/modern-versio

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 2be3222e-c8dd-11e4-_870361c.jpg (34KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
2be3222e-c8dd-11e4-_870361c.jpg
34KB, 620x413px
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/aug/19/modern-version-of-don-quixote-declared-against-literature
>A new edition of Miguel de Cervantes’ 17th-century novel Don Quixote, which sees the classic story of the would-be knight errant adapted into modern Spanish, might be making waves in Spain, but Don Quixote scholar Ilan Stavans has said that Andrés Trapiello’s new version is needed if Spaniards are to keep on reading one of their country’s most celebrated works of literature.
>“Was there a need for a modern translation, then? Of course there was. Shakespeare is updated, adapted, modernised, and otherwise rewritten all the time and nobody makes a fuss. Those approaches, in my eyes, are a tribute, a celebration, an acknowledgment of the enormous debt we owe him,” said the scholar, drawing parallels between the situation in Spain and the uproar that greeted an Alabama publisher’s excision of the word “nigger” from Mark Twain’s The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
>Trapiello’s edition is introduced by Nobel literature laureate Mario Vargas Llosa, who writes that the new version “rejuvenates” Cervantes’ novel, while allowing it to remain itself. Many readers, said Llosa, are discouraged from reading Don Quixote from beginning to end because of the “antique vocabulary” and the scholarly footnotes
Do you think they have a point here? Should we strive to keep classical literature up to date?
>>
Updating spelling and punctuation is ok. Changing words, phrases, etc. is not ok. Rewriting with only the plot intact is abominable.

I prefer reading the original spelling though, I find it interesting.
>>
>>8356066
As long as they aren't burning the older version, I don't give a shit

capitalism, not even once
>>
>>8356066
>Many readers, said Llosa, are discouraged from reading Don Quixote from beginning to end because of the “antique vocabulary” and the scholarly footnotes
>tfw swedish "abolished" the plural verb forms
>>
>>8356066
>using Vargas Llosa to push the new version
>puking_anime_girl.png
Vargas Llosa is a fucking hack.
>>
>>8356066
The only thing that can break this country is spaniards I swear to God I hate this country so much sometimes.
>>
>>8356066
No they don't have a point, but what they're doing is totally understandable because pointlessly capitalistic acts pretty much have to make an attempt at self-justification even if their argument is patently retarded. You can't really blame them for acting in their financial self-interest in an era where books are mostly seen as commodities rather than works of art.

tl;dr: don't hate the player, hate the game
>>
>>8356066
They've done it to the bible from the beginning. Strangely, no one complains about it there
>>
>>8356066
Sounds like they need to read Huxley.

this is about the dumbest shit i've read all day.
>>
>>8356892
>what's the diference between translation and adaptation

kys
>>
What a fucking retarded thing to do, the original isnt even that hard, people are such lazy fucks, one of the things that make Don Quixote so great is that it is a window to the past.
>>
Put in Zombies or Teen Werewolves and I'll read this boring shit.
>>
>>8356066
So the moral of the story is people are stupid fucking illiterates and can't read Don Quixote because of "muh words".
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.