[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>“You know, I don’t want to be offensive. But ‘Infinite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: download.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
>“You know, I don’t want to be offensive. But ‘Infinite Jest’ is just awful. It seems ridiculous to have to say it. He can’t think, he can’t write. There’s no discernible talent.”

>"But Stephen King is Cervantes compared with David Foster Wallace. We have no standards left. Wallace seems to have been a very sincere and troubled person, but that doesn’t mean I have to endure reading him. I even resented the use of the term from Shakespeare, when Hamlet calls the king’s jester Yorick, ‘a fellow of infinite jest."
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>8355440
Can we make these retarded 'what did he mean by this', 'wow really makes you think', 'wtf i hate [x] now', etc. a bannable offense?
>>
>>8355443
what the fuck I hate (you) now
>>
>>8355443
Here's a (You)
>>
>>8355443
Seconded
>>
>>8355448
what did u mean by this lol
>>8355445
really made me think hehe
>>
>>8355440

What the fuck? Does he really believe his writing to be that good? I've read works written by teenagers that has better prose than his writings. Compared to him, J.K. Rowling is Cervantes.
>>
File: harold-bloom (1).jpg (330KB, 1600x1050px) Image search: [Google]
harold-bloom (1).jpg
330KB, 1600x1050px
>>8355440

>HB: I spend a good part of my life in bookstores – I give readings there when a new book of mine has come out, I go there to read or simply to browse. But the question is what do these immense mountains of books consist of? You know, child, my electronic mailbox overflowing with daily mesages from Greenites who still cannot forgive me for the article I published in Wall Street Journal more than a year ago, entitled "Can 35 Million John Green Fans Be Wrong? – Yes!" These people claim that John Green does great things for their children. I think they are deceiving themselves. I read the first book in the Green series, the one that's supposed to be the best. I was shocked. Every sentence there is a string of cliches, there are no characters – any one of them could be anyone else, they speak in each other's voice, so one gets confused as to who is who.

>IL: Yet the defenders of John Green claim that these books get their children to read.

>HB: But they don't! Their eyes simply scan the page. Then they turn to the next page. Their minds are deadened by cliches. Nothing is required of them, absolutely nothing. Nothing happens to them. They are invited to avoid reality, to avoid the world and they are not invited to look inward, into themselves. But of course it is an exercise in futility to try to oppose John Green.

damn...
>>
>>8355460
>he believes """""""""quotes""""""""" he reads on 4chan

What did (You) mean by this?
>>
>>8355460
It's Bloom.

>inb4 i just trold u xDD

ok
>>
>>8355460
What books written by teenagers have you read?
>>
>>8355465
>>8355472

I AM referring to BLOOM. ;)
>>
>>8355475

Eragon, for starters. The Neon Bible and Sword Bird are pretty good too.
>>
>>8355462
>getting this mad about YA fiction
I will never understand.
>>
>>8355440
Wait a minute. John Green didn't say that.
>>
File: depend-guards-for-men.jpg (76KB, 800x722px) Image search: [Google]
depend-guards-for-men.jpg
76KB, 800x722px
>>8355440
Infinite Jest is pretentious (deconstructed, postpostmodern...) in a funny, ironical way.
Some people are sluts for this, and I'm proud to count myself among them.

I hate the parts about Steeply and Marathe (I read the editor already made him delete large chunks of this), what I like best are the thoughts on addiction, and things like the idea that in the future, Time became subsidized by large firms, so instead of being, say, in "2016" (no copyright), much of the novel happens in the Year of the Depend Adult Undergarment.
>>
File: capture_001_03082016_165824.jpg (95KB, 737x388px) Image search: [Google]
capture_001_03082016_165824.jpg
95KB, 737x388px
>>8355578
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.