[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For my philosophy course on Plato we will be reading the Meno,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (27KB, 306x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 306x450px
For my philosophy course on Plato we will be reading the Meno, the Republic, the Timaueus, and the Theaetetus. My professor didn't request a specific edition, just something with line numbers. What should I get??
>>
>>8355093
start with the greeks
>>
>>8355101
Fuck off dumb memeposter
>>
>>8355093
Begin with the phoenecians
>>
Commence with the macedonians
>>
>>8355093
Resume with the Romans
>>
>>8355093
Initiate with the Ionians.
>>
>>8355093
mcdowell
>>
The Hackett Complete Plato of course.

You're obviously not going to just read the stuff they assign, right?
>>
>>8355194
What do you mean?
>>
>>8355111
>>8355124
>>8355128
>>8355143
>>8355150
These guys realize this meme is more immediate fun that talking about philosophy. Once you teach them they can have fun talking and laughing with you about something more complicated, then we can come to some interesting understanding.
>>
>>8355282
I started really enjoying Philosophy when I got going with the Germans
>>
>>8355291
was it because of the holocaust :D
>>
>>8355291
WHATS FUNNY OR INTERESTING ABOUT THE GERMANS MAN? WAS IT THAT THEY HATED JEWS? I don't fucking know what this guy is thinking and its driving me nuts.
>>
File: tumblr_neieyxx30l1scdi03o1_1280.png (227KB, 997x843px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_neieyxx30l1scdi03o1_1280.png
227KB, 997x843px
>>8355430
Autism.
>>
>>8355291
That doesn't alliterate.
>>
>>8355469
neither does "start with the greek" you dip
>>
>>8355194
Thank you. I didn't go with the complete text because some of the reviews claim the translation are just plain wrong, and any supplementary material I'm sure my uni can provide via JSTOR or some other collection of Plato. But I did buy the individual Hackett classic of each (which have variable translators). Thanks for reminding me that, when it comes to academic philosophy, Hackett is the best. They were the only way I could get into the political meat of Augustine and Aquinas, they made Hobbes shine, and illuminated Hume with clarity for me.
>>
Your professor didn't tell you which specific text to get? You aren't reading it in Ancient Greek right?

Translations differ, so either your professor doesn't know that, which makes him a shit professor, or he doesn't care, which makes him a shit professor.
>>
>>8355504
individual hacketts = translations in complete barring like 2 dialogues...
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.