[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"I was a semiconscious writer in the beginning. Just sat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 04delillo_CA0-articleLarge.jpg (35KB, 600x350px) Image search: [Google]
04delillo_CA0-articleLarge.jpg
35KB, 600x350px
"I was a semiconscious writer in the beginning. Just sat and wrote something, or read the newspaper, or went to the movies. Over time I began to understand, one, that I was lucky to be doing this work, and, two, that the only way I'd get better at it was to be more serious, to understand the rigors of novel-writing and to make it central to my life, not a variation on some related career choice, like sportswriting or playwriting."
>>
>>8353587
Is this even possible today? Or do I have to live in a holiday inn and wear a denim jacket?
>>
Get off 4chan and get cracking, /lit/.
>>
>>8353587
Look at this dude. LOOK AT THE TOP OF HIS HEAD
>>
All right there Emperor Palpatine, go write another book about how America is just a reflection of how much your dad was never proud of you.
>>
He's right, though. You have to go all in and beyond to be a great writer.

This is why Joyce and Faulkner never bothered getting real jobs.
>>
>>8353613
Start a blog
Cultivate an online celebrity
Occasionally post trivial and banal (and plenum) works that so publishers "how much smarter you are than everyone else"

this is how it's done these days
>>
>>8353623
Reminder: wanting to be a writer will not make you a writer. writing is the profession of those who must write to live.

even then you could suck.
chances are you suck.
>>
>>8354317
you're confusing Delillo with Kafka
>>
Many people seem to think that one starts to be a writer through inspiration, that it's the special spark that then gets you going, the spark that sets things of.

It isn't. Talent is a big factor, but it's worth nothing if you don't realize that writing is a craftmanship that requires greatest dedication and discipline. Once you've reached a level where this is normal, a routine, then the room for inspiration opens. It is because people no longer are willing or able, due to their flattened attention capability, to truly work on getting it right, that most people here fail.

Don't get me wrong though, there are people who are driven entirely or mostly by inspiration, for whom the discipline is secondary, emerges automatically. Of course what i write is not directed at them.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.