[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This might be a bit of a strange thread, so bear with me. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: le-corb-950x634.jpg (88KB, 950x634px) Image search: [Google]
le-corb-950x634.jpg
88KB, 950x634px
This might be a bit of a strange thread, so bear with me.

I'm looking for some modernist books, not in the sense of modernist literature, but in the sense of aesthetics, if that makes sense.

I read part one of the New York Trilogy by Paul Auster but this was more conceptually modernist, which is appreciable, but I can easily find without making a thread here. I'm looking for fiction that represents the modernist aesthetic in it's image rather than it's concept.

Do you know of any books that fill this criteria?

Also, if you know some good non fiction about modernism then by all means post that here.
>>
Read Raymond Chandler.
>>
>>8353066
My diary desu
>>
>>8353074

Thanks, just bought The Long Goodbye and The Big Sleep
>>
>>8353150
Make sure to get all books with Philip Marlowe. They are all great, the only exception might be Poodle Springs, Robert Parker fucked that one up. And read them in chronological order, that way you'll enjoy Chandlers style and how it developed more.
>>
>>8353066
>I'm looking for fiction that represents the modernist aesthetic in it's image rather than it's concept.
you have to explain this nonsense.

also, what's 'modernist' about Auster and City of Glass? It's postmodern wankery
>>
>>8353066
>but in the sense of aesthetics, if that makes sense.
thats post modernism
>>
>>8353190

>you have to explain this nonsense.

The imagery, style, visual narrative and contents of the book is in line with the mid century-1980 idea of modernism, and the look surrounding.

What I'm not looking for is modernism in the literary sense (unless a specific book overlaps with the above)

Modernism is defined by the departure from traditionalism and classical schools of thought, modernist literature, in a different way from modernist design and architecture, does this through the use of experimental narrative, form and expression. Physical modernist objects follow this departure through radical difference that creates a signature look. I'm looking for a book that is modernist in the way objects are modernist, rather than a book that is modernist in a way books are modernist.

>also, what's 'modernist' about Auster and City of Glass? It's postmodern wankery

A lot of things about City of Glass could be considered modernist, the prose itself is probably the most striking, with it's strange layout that rigidly outlines actions and events, yet ornately describes them. The narrative's strange and very nontraditional layout.

Only the confusing and self referential ending and the avoidance of any point or real understanding of the story really pushes this book to the category of postmodernism.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.