[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright I bet if you went to a public school you might have a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1465095035946.jpg (63KB, 400x511px) Image search: [Google]
1465095035946.jpg
63KB, 400x511px
Alright I bet if you went to a public school you might have a similar problem to mine.

In high school a teacher forbade us from ever and I mean EVER using "dead verbs":
>am
>are
>be
>had
>has
>becomes
>have
>is
>was
>were
so much so that she would take something like 10 points off a paper for each use. For a while I could manage, but it's affected my ability to write papers in a college environment. I can't even write personally without checking over a sentence for them. This practice has damaged my ability to write and I'm gonna need you guys to reaffirm to me that I can use these words (even occasionally) in my writing. Or if this is a legitimate thing, explain how I can write more freely around them.
>>
>>8350399
>if this is a legitimate thing
it isn't
hope your sophomore year works out better for you, bud
>>
>>8350399
When and where did you go to high school? I went to a public high school 7 years ago and I never even heard of any teacher doing something that retarded.
>>
>>8350479
Class of 2015 Colorado. I was first taught not to use them in middle school, and was then pressured even further as a hs senior
>>
>>8350479
Good writing captures the attention of the reader. The listed verbs are often heavily discouraged in school because they are uninteresting or too passive. They want to teach kids to write in an active and persuasive voice, as it becomes necessary to write actively in a several situations, like Resumes and Cover letters. Things like being able to write good essays or proposals in a professional environment. At least that's what came across as the goal in my school.

The problem is many teachers try to just pound in concepts instead of really going through them. They have these no tolerance rules instead of really teaching the importance of whatever it is they're trying to get across. And it may be because of them or stifling administrative policies, who knows.

Those words are just suggestions of what to avoid overusing. But if there's not a better what to say it or if it sounds right to you, then just use it.
>>
>>8350496
They do it because at least half of the kids they teach are too fucking stupid to figure out how to write for a given context or even recognize the context they're writing in.
>>
>>8350399

>American """"education""""

That's a stupid thing to do to students precisely because of the problems you're having now OP. I've heard about people enrolled in community college and making up these absurd sentences simply to avoid linking verbs.

>>8350496

>Resumes and Cover letters. Things like being able to write good essays or proposals in a professional environment.

That's what's nasty about it, it's not even about English anymore, it's about preparing kids for a life of corporate jargon, marketing, and buzzwords. I can't imagine the kind of intellectual indigence and cultural emptiness that led to these kind of educational "standards."
>>
You teacher should not have his job, to be completely honest.
>>
>>8350558
>the kind of intellectual indigence and cultural emptiness
It's called capitalism.
>>
>>8350399
>For a while I could manage, but it's affected my ability to write papers in a college environment. I can't even write personally without checking over a sentence for them. This practice has damaged my ability to write and I'm gonna need you guys to reaffirm to me that I can use these words (even occasionally) in my writing. Or if this is a legitimate thing, explain how I can write more freely around them.
Your teach drank the e-prime koolaid. It's useful on a resume or CV or whatever because it gets you to use case based examples rather than just stating qualities (so no "I am hardworking and competitive", more "I sought out challenges such as debate team and blah blah". The idea why the alternative to to be is more alive is that something is always being done, the action becomes part of description). It's not terrible advice exactly, but you're better off going with show don't tell as your overarching paradigm in these sorts of things. Experiment with using it and not using it and see how it changes the feeling and writing so it becomes another tool rather than a ball and chain.

>>8350496
>too passive
Is this Stank and Wank anon again? You don't understand good writing bruh stop giving advice. One of the nice things about the e-prime philosophy of writing is it doesn't throw out passive constructions as un dynamic or whatever other shit people throw at it.

>>8350558
>That's what's nasty about it, it's not even about English anymore, it's about preparing kids for a life of corporate jargon, marketing, and buzzwords.
Ideally you should come out of the OP shit not using those things, but in the age of idiots making the algo CV selection rules it's hard to work out a lot of the time whether to use buzzwords and so on
>>
>>8350558
This. It's simply deplorable that the only use in teaching "writing" is so that people can write what amounts to their own advertisements later on.
Resumés and cover letters should be banned.

>>8350399
All good writers make use of these verbs, so go ahead and use them my man.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.