[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>age >location >book you're currently reading and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 38

File: 1469933304600.jpg (93KB, 576x384px) Image search: [Google]
1469933304600.jpg
93KB, 576x384px
>age
>location
>book you're currently reading and how do you like it
>>
u first
>>
>>8349789
center of the universe, Toronto Ontario Canada
J R it's flipping loltasticore
>>
File: 1446294189625.jpg (185KB, 1276x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1446294189625.jpg
185KB, 1276x1600px
>18
>Viña del Mar, Chile (aka Hell)
>Dubliners by James 'le thesaurus man' Joyce
>mfw
>>
Sydney, Paradise
When God Was A Rabbit. It's nice, very comfy book.
>>
>age

>location
small town in Florida

Solzhenitsyn - Cancer Ward
It is wonderful. I'm not quite far enough to be into the main discussion of the major theme of the work yet, but the guy knows how to write/develop characters and I've enjoyed the development of the story so far. The cancer ward where the entire story takes place (excluding brief excursions to other parts of the hospital) is also an incredibly interesting and appropriate setting for what Solzhenitsyn is conveying, as well. I can see this being among my favorite works once I'm finished.
>>
>>8349825
can I come live at your house for a vacation. I will only be there to sleep.
>>
>21
>Chile, Calama (Arid hell).
>Devil's Bible by Richard Dübell.

Nice book, not that comfy to read but I'm ok with it.
>>
>>8349789
20. Argentina. Ernesto Sabato - el túnel
>>
21.NJ Fuck You. Melancholy of Resistance, fucking awesome.
>>
File: 1457152225196.png (227KB, 362x520px) Image search: [Google]
1457152225196.png
227KB, 362x520px
Brasília, Brazil
IJ. Pic related.
>>
File: 1469816761818.gif (443KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1469816761818.gif
443KB, 480x360px
>22
>DC
>Atlas Shrugged

I reached page 815 and then had to take a mental break. After three weeks of not reading, I finally decided to man up and finish it. Now I'm just forcing myself to read the last couple of hundred pages. This is the first book I've ever willingly read that was written by a woman. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I certainly wasn't expecting a love story. Reading this novel has showed me how fucking fickle and ditzy women can be. In fact, I noted a few parallels with my own experience with women, especially my most recent one. So, when Dagny fucking fell in love with Galt and dropped Rearden like a fly, I started screaming out loud and cursing Ayn Rand and Dagny because it reminded me how the women in my life are so similar. Long story short: This book isn't a meme and women are fucking evil.
>>
>31
>Windy City
>The Left Hand of Darkness

It's pretty OK. Interesting how it would probably be considered transphobic and shitlordist by leftists today.
>>
>>8349789
dc
organon
>>
>>8349789

23, USA, Mimesis: The Representation of Reality in Western Literature

It's a good read but there are so many references to books that I haven't read that I don't know if I should continue or not. I'm only about 40 pages in but I feel as if this might be a book only scholars can really grasp.
>>
Wisconsin
The Shock Doctrine. It's surprisingly accessible to someone with little or no former knowledge of economics. I'm sure there's another side I'm not seeing, but it answers a lot of questions and is meticulously researched.
>>
pennsylvania
storm of steel
bretty gud
>>
File: Jesus-Christ.jpg (152KB, 615x960px) Image search: [Google]
Jesus-Christ.jpg
152KB, 615x960px
vegas
mere christianity

s'good.
>>
Aruba
White Noise
Good so far, but I can definitely see that the way people speak in this book is not how actual people talk, doesn't take away from my enjoyment though
>>
>>8349867
I can't tell if this is bait or not. Regardless, if your view of women is so affected by a single novel by one (ill-regarded) author, your logic is not very good.
>>
Washington DC, USA
Salem's Lot by Stephen King
>>
Cedar Crest, New Mexico
Catch-22 just started and already find it so hilarious
>>
Portland, Oregon
Book of the New Sun (Shadow of the Torturer)

It's okay, requires a lot more focus than most of the fantasy I read though so I'm going to stop reading it at night before bed so I can concentrate on it better.
>>
>>8349867
>>8349964

What's with all the DC?

>23
>DC (Alexandria, VA to actually)
>The Hamlet
>Rereading; enjoying it a little less this time around, although it might just be that I prefer other Faulkner now.
>>
>>8349987

Oh shit son, I work in Alexandria
>>
>>8349987
>>8349992
DC meetup when?
>>
>>8349789
>18
>San Antonio
>History of Herodotus
Shits cool, I always liked history.
>>
>>8350024
Hot human lass contact is fine
>>
Argentina
Metro 2033

I'm white.
>>
File: Messages Image(1605363989).png (511KB, 660x398px) Image search: [Google]
Messages Image(1605363989).png
511KB, 660x398px
>>8350097
>I'm white.
>>
>>8349789
>18
>Connecticut
>1Q84
Its pretty good. I've recently just started getting into reading and literature again after I read Lolita and liked it. It's a solid novel, nothing amazing, nothing terrible.
>>
File: 1467842591613.png (307KB, 494x456px) Image search: [Google]
1467842591613.png
307KB, 494x456px
>>8350103
Seriously tho.

The book is good, it's hard to follow all the russian names and stations.
>>
>>8350097
nice false flag, anglo-kid
>>
>>8349929
>vegas
>mere christianity

Oooh. Interesting combo.
>>

Australia

The Meme of Ice and Fire - AGoT

You know what, I'm actually enjoying myself. It's basically a mystery novel.
>>
>23
>LA
>Infinite Jest... It's pretty good. Page 100 only.
>>
Orlando FL
Magician by Raymond Feist
I've already read most of the riftwar stuff but I've got nothing to read rn so I'm rereading this one, it's alright
>>
>>8349789
>26
>Dallas
>The Professor Is In: The Essential Guide To Turning Your Ph.D. Into a Job

Information-packed and useful. I used to use her blog for working on my CV, recently saw her new webinars on Vitae and so pirated this.
>>
>20
>San Francisco
>Bright Lights, Big City

Pretty good. It's all written in second-person perspective which I'm kind of enjoying.
>>
24, denver CO, infinite Jest and it is great
>>
>25
>SoCal
>Mrs. Dalloway
far better than I expected to be, Woolf's writing is incredible
>Crime and Punishment
easier than expected, feels far shorter than it is. all of the Dostoyevsky memes are coming to light and yet it loses none of its edge
>A Good Man is Hard to Find
Flannery O'Connor is fucking incredible. I'm well versed in the Bible and yet so much seems to go over my head. It reads like a collection of lightweight short stories but each one is so dense with themes.
>>
>29 as of tonight
>Massachusetts
>Read A Clockwork Orange this morning, and began Madame Bovary about an hour or two ago.

Clockwork was alright, but getting used to all the slang was a pain in the ass at first. Madame Bovary is starting slow but is getting to the point now that Charles and Emma are together. Prose is pretty nice, but Flaubert is getting a lot of mileage out of the comma. Which I am jealous of because I tend to overuse commas in my own work as well but he can get away with it because he's actually good.
>>
Montevideo, Uruguay
Cleopatra: A Biography

Good book. The figure of Cleopatra has been heavily distorted to make of her a mythical figure with almost nothing but negative traits. There isn't much in her popular persona that corresponds to the historical Cleopatra, this has made created a myth of her persona, one that nobody takes seriously, and has forgotten the many things the real Cleopatra did, that should be impressive enough by themselves.
The author took care of being as accurate as history can be, with may references throughout the text and never going beyond of what is supported by evidence.
>>
File: 1446781162091.jpg (9KB, 288x268px) Image search: [Google]
1446781162091.jpg
9KB, 288x268px
>>8349789

>22
>Mexico City
>Lady Chatterley's Lover, by D.H. Lawrence

Apparently it is not Lawrence's best novel, but a friend gave it to me as a gift so I'm reading it. I have read only the first 4 pages, but I'm liking it. It flows well, and the metaphor, though a little too obvious, is well managed. Also the characterization so far is good, as fas as introductions for the main characters go.
>>
>18
>Valley City, Ohio
>The Crystal Shard. Is ok for a fantasy story, but not really my type of book.
>>
File: 3751429.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
3751429.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
25, Oregon, Notes From Underground and it's heartachingly beautiful
>>
>>8350027
Also 18 in SA, currently trying to finish Infinite Jest before I leave for UT this month. I feel like i'm getting meme'd
>>
>>8350147
>second person
I feel like that would drive me up the fucking wall
>>
Newfoundland
Assassin's Quest
I like to read a few comfy pulpy fantasy novels while I'm on holiday
>>
>>8350106
>tfw I bought IQ84 when it came out in that little box set 3 book thing
>forgot about it until now
I should read that
>>
boston
Portrait of the Artist-pretty damn good, almost finished with it and loving it
Brothers karamazov-its good but not as good as i thought it would be, have about 70 ages left
>>
>>8349789
bc
being and time

might be the hardest thing I've ever read. Interesting although it takes forever to digest the material for my small harambe brain
>>
>>8349789
Spain
Dead souls
Its interesting the way he writes. Like a mixture of his thoughts and universla objectivity. I jsut started it, not even 50 pages in but the characters are all so empty that hurts. I guess it's the way of the author to translate the decadence of Russia.
>>
Newcastle NSW (Australia)
Reasonable Faith by William Lane Craige
Literally started it 30 minutes ago.
>>
>>8349852
this looks amazing thx
>>
>>8350353
Honestly I didn't start to enjoy or "get" Dead Souls until about halfway through, at which point Gogol grabs your hand and you both kind of take a step back from the "action" (or lack thereof) and he finally shows you what the fuck he's been up to this whole time. You'll know it's happening because Gogol's writing will start being directed straight at you, and the "recap" with Gogol will help contextualize, digest, and understand the events that have passed by and the ones still coming.

The beginning is confusing because you don't know what's going on or why, but after that (approximately) halfway mark, the rest of the book is smooth sailing. Definitely recommend that you stick with it.
>>
>20
>New York City
> Many but focused on the Enneads- Plotinus and The Society of the Spectacle - Guy Debord
> The Enneads is really good except when Plotinus feels the need to speak literally about Science which is just annoying. The same problem with Lucretius. He'll annoyingly go on about the Stars Ignorantly in poetic form and then he'll drop a load of Rhetorical Sublimity that you would have missed if you skipped the mostly obnoxious ancient roman Cosmology lesson.
>The Society of the Spectical is also beautiful but it seems to be written specifically by Guy as a way to excuse his never working or engaging in useful pastimes/morals. Which would be fine if he ever gave a valid reason that ascetic morals should be abandoned other than their vague (now non-existent) relation to bourgeois morals. If you like Situationism I'd recommend The Revolution of Everyday Life by Raoul Vaneigem, it has the same problems but its more fun and interactive.

Anyway 7/10 and 6/10 respectively.
>>
Near a river in the heart of Texas
Just cracked Children of Dune

Haven't read enough to get a strong opinion yet, but I've enjoyed the series so far. Foundation was more fun, but Dune is p. cozy. Deciding whether to go back to Asimov with his robots or break into a fresh author or genre. (After God Emperor)
>>
>>8350378
It's too bad he lost his fucking marbles and destroyed the ending to it
>>
>18
>failed colony of england
>De Paris à Java
>>
>>8350425
Yeah nobody told me the ending was lost, so as I approached the last pages I kept wondering how he was going to wrap up with so little text left...turns out he wasn't going to. Definitely bummed me out, but I still enjoyed the ride, and given his aim I think he accomplished most of what he sought to do.
>>
>27
>Toronto
>Huysmans, A rebours

I like it but I'm mostly reading it to get to La-Bas
>>
chicago
Young Once/Hard Rain Falling
my gf cheated on me yesterday, so i'm having a hard time making sense of these
>>
>>8350436
Yea I still really enjoyed it, his short stories are pretty good too
And as much as I'm bummed about the lost ending to DS I can't help but think it's hilarious that he starved himself and burned his final works before dying
What a loon
>>
>25
>NZ
>The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window And Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.

It's for book club.
>>
>>8349789
Arkansas
Just finished The Castle. I thought it was great. It kind of snuck up on me. The obvious theme of "what is the self even when the state/transcendental authority determines and orders so much in a society?" gets hammered pretty hard, I mean the book is essentially a long rambling dialog about the particulars of being a person in that world. It unsettles and worms its way under your conception of self. I feel a bit adrift and left to the enigmatic destitution of K. Not a Land-Surveyor, not really anything, stuck between being a chambermaid's fucktoy and a landlady's fucktoy and Gerstacker's horse boy he isn't even what people say he is anymore, he's this muddle with disintegrating faculties and an ecstatic acceptance of his ability to be something in a world opposing every aspect of his existence.
>>
>>8350493
Who's the author? Sounds interesting, I might pick it up
>>
>>8350502
Ignore me I'm a complete idiot
>>
>>8349789
27 LA,
I'm reading three right now, 1) Ralph Waldo Emerson: Selected Essays, Lectures, and Poems. 2) War and Peace. 3) J.R.R. Tolkien Unfinished Tales. I am fond of Emersonian Transcendentalism and I've been considering his ideas on applying confidence to ones convictions without fearing rejection. I just started War and Peace, I don't really have any thoughts on it. Tolkein I'm reading for fun, though the book is more of a description of what Cristopher R. Tolkien thought his father meant, from collecting various notes scattered through out the estate, on the history of Middle Earth.
>>
>>8350521
I'd probably recommend reading war and peace by itself instead of at the same time as two other books, there's so many characters and shit to keep track of that you might mix yourself up by reading something else too
Or not
>>
>23
>Swabia
>Thought and language by Vygotskij
It's very good, but sometimes the way the author jumps to conclusions is very irritating.
>>
File: AWorldOutofTime_Niven.jpg (91KB, 480x792px) Image search: [Google]
AWorldOutofTime_Niven.jpg
91KB, 480x792px
>>8349789
>25
>portland or
>A World Out of Time

It's alright
>>
>>8350538
>reading Vygotsky

I see u fellow education geek
>>
>Age 18
>Illinois 15 minutes away from the border to Wisconsin
>James Luceno's Tarkin: Finally a story where I don't have to be concerned with rebel mary sues or dark side edgelords and can get some good Imperial perspective. I'm enjoying it and would heartily recommend.
>>
>>8350538
>>8350567
Who'd have thought Vygotksij was a Common experience. I thought I was the only one? I really liked it a lot. I bought it when I was in a linguistic phase and discovered the actual importance of developmental psychology.
>>
>>8349789
>23
>Turkey
>The Recognitions and it's fucking 10/10 lit shit
>>
>18
>Burger
>Inherent Vice, started reading because Pynchon is a meme here, kept reading because I love this kinda shit
>>
>21
>Tijuana
>Plato's complete works
>>
Auburn, AL
The Odyssey

It's terrific of course. I'm on book 19, Odysseus just won his bum fight with Irus. I'd read excerpts in 9th grade but I would never have known how much humor and how many important scenes take place during his return to Ithaca had I not picked it up and read it start to finish. The encounters with Polyphemus, Circe, Scylla & Charybdis, etc. were what was emphasized in my high school lectures and excerpts.

Basically I'm getting all lubed up for Ulysses. Before this I'd read Dubliners and Portait of the Artist as a Young Man, after I finish the Odyssey I plan on getting a fresh reading of Hamlet. After that I plan on going through English literature in a somewhat chronological manner starting with Chaucer, moving onto Spenser or Milton, reading and rereading Shakespeare, then Robert Burton's Anatomy of Melancholy, then Tristram Shandy, then William Blake, and so on.

I'm not looking forward to the fall semester because it's going to cut into my reading time.
>>
>>8350609
Vygotsky and Piaget are taught hand in hand for any education majors at most colleges with teaching schools

Gotta learn bout them zones of proximal development and cultural tools mang
>>
>>8350642
>starting with Chaucer
>not starting with Sir Thomas Wyatt the Elder

step up
>>
>>8349789
>25
>Dublin
>A Little Life
> actually not bad, although the fact that alle the main characters are very successful in their respective fields annoyed me
>>
>>8349789

36 (oldest in thread again, yass)

Gyplandia, a.k.a. Romanistan

On the Heights of Despair -- Chow-rahn

Teenedgy as hell, although I can see myself into it sometimes--uncomfortably so, à la Confederacy of Dunces. The bit on women was hilariously un-PC and Schopenhauer-like. Most of it is recomforting if one shares such philosophical beliefs, but it crosses over quickly into repetitiveness, cringiness and dear-diary-I-wish-my-parents-would-just-fuckin-die-and-leave-me-alone-already-style pathos.
>>
>>8349867
>reads novel by woman who believes helping the weak makes you weak
>believes that woman's view is all women's view

babe. read yourself some Margaret Atwood or plays by Annie Baker then rethink your life
>>

Southern California

The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro
What is love without memories oh god help
>>
Brooksville, FL
Borges Selected Nonfiction
I feel like he could say what he wants to in a more comprehensible and straightforward way but the gnostic inside him won't allow it, which is a real shame because the topics of the essays, like his fiction, jump between a wide range of subjects. Still not a bad read though.
>>
>>8350465
Are book clubs any good?
>>
>>8350646

I wasn't aware of this person but from giving it the ol' google I've gathered he didn't appear until 1500 and Chaucer is firmly in the 1300s.

Is he like unskippably good? Everything I'm planning to read seems to get related to and alluded to in the more erudite modernist and postmodern works of English literature. Like they're building off each other.
>>
File: 1448930873902.jpg (42KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1448930873902.jpg
42KB, 640x640px
>26
>dallas, tx
>24/7 by jonathan crary
>>
Vilnius, Lithuania
La Nausée, Sartre

Any opinions about the book?
>>
>18

>Sarawak, Malaysia

>The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith
It's ok but can get pretty boring at times.
>>
>>8349789
Istanbul
Saatleri Ayarlama Enstitüsü (it was translated as The Time Regulation Institute)
Tanpınar is imo the best Turkish writer, and this book is the pinnacle of his writings. It's like the Clockwork Orange but 20 years earlier and the language is insanely well if read in Turkish.
>>
>>8350897
insanely good*
>>
File: 1443053736028.gif (890KB, 197x150px) Image search: [Google]
1443053736028.gif
890KB, 197x150px
>26

>Pennsylvanio

>The Republic and Moby Dick

I've read Moby Dick and enjoy re-reading it. The Republic is the first actual philosophy book I've read but I'm digging it and getting a decent grasp of it.
>>
>>8349789
Bratislava, Slovakia
Zuska Kepplová - Reflux, so far so good
>>
Palestine
The Castle, Kafka
i like it but probably shouldn't have started another Kafka book after reading his short stories and The Trial.
>>
Spain
Ulysses: fucking great. I started Circe yesterday night and o boy, shit is hilarious. My favourite chapters by now are the whole Telemachiad, Calypso, Cyclops, Sirens and Nausicaa.
Odyssey: Rereading it for Ulysses. Getting better with each reading. It's like that old adventures movie you never get tired of.
Also some essays about semiotics by Umberto Eco. I didn't knew shit about the thing before I started reading this and now I'm into stuff and concepts that I had never figured out before, which I guess is good.
>>8350353
Where u at mane?
>>
>20.
>Australia.
>Infinite Jest.

Tremendous.

>>8350920

Palestine isn't a country.
>>
Germany/munich
Lolita
I do like the book
>>
>>8349789
>18
>Los Angeles, California
>Franny and Zooey
It's ok; I think I'll finish it all today.
>>
>>8350981
>recognized by 136 countries
>not a country

K
>>
>27
>Brussels, Belgium
>Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

The book is enjoyable.
>>
>>8349866
Oh my God saved.
>>
>>8350981
Thanks for taking the bait.
>>>>>>>>/pol/
Off you go now.
>>
>>8351005
>27
>Flowers for Algernon
Are you reading this as an introduction to English for non-English speakers? In the US, we usually read that book around age 8-9; if you're just reading it for pleasure - I understand.
>>
>>8351037
Why would you assume anyone's reading a book not for pleasure? Is the only time you read when you're forced to?
>>
File: image.jpg (77KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77KB, 333x500px
>19
>Germany
>The Name of the Rose

I enjoy it, though the Latin is a bit confusing at times
>>
File: IMG_3607.png (2MB, 1440x1470px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3607.png
2MB, 1440x1470px
Victoria, BC
Cibola Burn...love it so far.
>>
File: cover.jpg.rendition.460.707[1].png (321KB, 456x707px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg.rendition.460.707[1].png
321KB, 456x707px
England
Pic related

I quite like it. Reading really old books is my fetish. It just feels magical to read the words of someone who lived over 2 millenia ago.
>>
>>8349789
Roanoke, VA (at work at a hospital)
Geisha, A Life
It's GOAT
>>
>>8351043
Maybe pleasure wasn't the right word - I was asking if they were perhaps reading the book because they felt they "missed" something that the book had to offer. In the US it's read early in schools as a sort of formative, life-lesson type of book.
>>
>>8350443

I loved là bas, hope you enjoy it.

31 France, a bunch of short stories by Kafka. It's great, I love his writing and his humour.
>>
File: the-girl-on-the-train.jpg (213KB, 1280x2048px) Image search: [Google]
the-girl-on-the-train.jpg
213KB, 1280x2048px
England
The Girl on The Train

It is pretty good 7/10. Can't wait to see how badly the film compares to the book as all films based on books do.
>>
>20
>Zagreb, Croatia
>Dubliners
very comfy, I like it
>>
>>8349789
Connecticut
Lolita
I love it, the prose are beautiful and I find it easy to identify with the narrator

>>8349923
I was recommended that by someone on /k/ a while ago, it sounded very interesting

>>8350106
county?
>>
>>8349789
>25
>United Kingdom
>Pagan Britain by Ronald Hutton

Not long started it really but it's fascinating looking at drawings made on cave walls and on bone by people up to 30,000 years ago. The subject is treated quite fairly and discusses the various interpretations made by scholars over the last century of prehistoric findings. The book covers the history of pagan Britain from the palaeolithic up to the time Christianity arrived in Britain.
>>
>24
>Indiana
>Henry and June, and Pride and Prejudice.
Like them both.
>>
>>8351098
So true about the appeal of reading the ancients. Didn't really read much pre-modern stuff before I started ancient studies at uni, now that I've almost finished Iliad so keen to get into other ancient works.

>Melbourne
>18
>Paradise Lost, the Iliad, Samuel Beckett Short Prose, also very slowly reading Petersburg by Bely in Russian with an englih translation nearby.
>>
>>8349789

subway wagon, line A. Buenos Aires

Little Man, What Now? by Hans Fallada. Halfway through, I'm enjoying it very much.
>>
>>8349789
>24
>Utrecht, Holland
>Thucydides Peleponnesian War

Though bland at times, it is an astonishing work.
>>
>18
>England
>Spook by Stirner. Literally just started it
>>
Detroit suburbs
Moby Dick
Good read so far. Enjoy the prose.
>>
>>8351128
Don't you think that in Belgium they might be reading French or German literature at age 8-9? It's not as though there's any lack of great books in those languages. Why would they read a B-list classic translated from English?
>>
>>8350538
Nice to see another swabian.
>23
>Stuttgart, Germany
>Infinite Jest
>>
>>8349789

>20
>Frankfurt a.M., Germany
>The man in the high castle
It's ok unti now but i am only on page 23 so my opinion can still change.
>>
NE
Red Rising for a book club

This book is making me question reality. It's so fucking bad how can it possibly be this popular. It's not that I think popularity is proportional to quality it's just that I expect a certain level to be attained with something this successful. I guess I overestimated the lowest common denominator. At first I dismissed YA as something easily ignorable but now...now I am afraid.

I'm also reading Amazons. I like DeLillo, Hockey, and silly sex scenes so this is right up my alley.
>>
Dearborn
IJ
I haven't had a lot of time to read but I'm hoping to finish it soon (started in February).

>>8351350
Ayyo
>>
Edinburgh, Scotland

>Free Capital by Guy Thomas
Too much financial jargon for me but insightful nonetheless. I haven't picked it up in ~two weeks but only have the last chapter to finish off.

>Euthyphro by Plato
Just finished Charmides and have scarcely begun.

>The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
Supplementary fiction reading to offset the strain of the heavier stuff. Also feel bad for not having read enough Stevenson seeing as he is an Edinburgher and a Scottish literary icon. Don't imagine I'll be anything other than satisfied.
>>
Port huron mi
Lolita

Finally started reading it. I don't know why I waited so long
>>
Hoboken
Blood Meridian
Too much descriptions of the same setting, lots of spitting, repetitive violent acts. Love whenever the judge has anything to say though.

*spits*
>>
File: image.jpg (155KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
155KB, 633x758px
>22

>DC

>Nausea
>>
19, pittsburgh, Infinite goddamn Jest again. I don't think anyone even thinks this is good, everyone just reads it because everyone else tells them to. After reading his biography, it seems more and more like a self-obsessed memoir about wanting to be The Best Writer Ever. He was stuck in his own head and couldn't write about anything except his own writing and neuroses and bad relationship with his mother. But I enjoy the experience of reading it, for some reason, I guess.

Also Emile, which is sort of boring and 18th century-ish and optimistic in a way that seems really naive now.

And Kafka by the Shore, because my girlfriend lent it to me because she thought I would like it, since I read 1Q84. But I didn't really like either of them that much: they have this weird Asian tone, where events just sort of happen in order. And I don't know if it's the translation or Murakami's actual writing, but all the sex feels sort of medical or sterile or whatever. "She touched Kafka's penis. Kafka thought about what was happening, and figured it was a good thing. That he was getting his penis all touched on. With the smooth phalanges of a mysterious female character without any real ambitions or motivations, besides acting mysterious and making the male protagonist think of her as mysterious and dangerous. Kafka's penis exuded its juice."
>>
18/f
cali
M: The Man who Became Caravaggio. It's neat, makes me want to masturbate someimtes.
>>
>>8351467
never been, but why does michigan feel like the most literary state?
>>
WA
Platform. It's good but I've had to take several masturbation breaks while reading it.
>>
late 20s
japan
the kreutzer sonata

i really want to slap pozdnyshev a few times around.
>>
>>8349823
>>8349866
>>8350192
>>8350617
>>8350882
>>8350971
>>8350989
>>8351005
>>8351177
>>8351365
>>8351403
>tfw everybody reads anglo lit
>>
>>8349789
Been travelling around europe on vacation but currently in Ireland
The World as Will and Representation
>>
>>8351780
Dumb frogposter
>>
>>8350443
What do you mean when you say you're reading it to get to Là-Bas ? They have very little in common.
>>
>>8349789
>19
>Central New Jersey
>Gravity's Rainbow, enjoying it so far. Reminds me quite a bit of Naked Lunch and Catch 22 in many ways, also reminds me of Vonneguit in certain aspects. Never read Pynchon before but enthusiastic to delving into his work.
>>
>>8351785
Forgot to say I like it a lot. Metaphysics is on point but i'm only at the beginning.
>>
>18
>England
> The Sublime Object of Ideology (Zizek).

Zizek's best work probably (perhaps his only), contains a number of interesting insights into Lacan/Marx/Hegel and helps re-formulate some of the flaws in other interpretations of Marx, and in his own original concepts.

Not a leftist by any means, but Zizek provides some interesting analysis and I love Lacan's work so anyone adapting his ideas in an interesting way is probably worth a read.
>>
>>8351803
How does it feel to be complicit in the ways of thinking that led directly to the Nazis? German philosophy came to a sharp orgasmic peak in the 1940s and now we have to slowly undo all of it.
>>
>>8349789
La Plata, Argentina
Ulysses - Joyce, I'm starting and struggling.
Cuentos Completos Vol.2 - Cortázar, enjoying a re-read.
The Tin Drum - Günter Grass, worth reading.
A Confederacy of Dunces - JK Toole, fucking great, re-reading.
>>
File: Camargo.png (1MB, 769x768px) Image search: [Google]
Camargo.png
1MB, 769x768px
>>8349789
>23
>Copenhagen
>A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
Brings great mirth.
>>
>>8351727
Well, Anon, your attempt to draw attention to your «f», doesn't go unnoticed, but neither cared for.
>>
Holland
Kafka on the shore - Murakami

Interesting, I dislike all the retarded incest shit though. I don't think it adds anything.
>>
>>8351844
Says the autist that couldn't help but draw attention to it.

Not that poster by the way but your autism is showing.
>>
>>8351844
I just think these threads are fucking stupid. 18/f/cali is an old internet joke.
>>
>>8351404
Life's too short to finish shitty books.
>>
>>8351727
It's OK that you're female, but we're all actually sexless here, because we're on the internet and can't touch each other.

Also, every good book should make you want to masturbate sometimes. Otherwise the sex scenes are badly written or missing.
>>
>23
>Northern Ireland
>Kaufmann's Portable Nietzsche

Liking it so far, but Nietzsche could be dry at times - although maybe not in German so much as the translations.

Getting closer to the end. His summary/understanding of Socrates and his 'becoming>being' argument are thus far quite compelling.
>>
>>8351037
I'm french speaking and I'm reading it because a girl i hooked with recommended it to me. Never heard of Daniel Keyes before. No wonder.
>>
>>8351849
Pick up South of the Border.
>>
Calabasas, California (very near LA)
Ovid's Metamorphoses (in Latin), quickly becoming one of my favourite works.
>>
>21
>Chengdu, China
>Grav's 'Bow

Just started it this morning, and my god it's taken me an hour and a half to read 45 pages. I like to think he wrote each section in one self-indulgent and masturbatory bender. Have already read V. and TCOL49 in that order and plan on reading all Pynchon in chronological order as he wrote them, but not uninterrupted by other books.
>>
New Jersey
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle mainly. It's ok, but I hope there ends up being a bit more to it than what's been so far. I'm about 80% through it.
>>
>>8351916
There won't. Murakami is dry and his plot are like interesting events hastily glued together.
>>
>>8351890
>One self-indulgent and masturbatory bender
Yep. He says he can't remember a lot of the time he spent writing it, from all the booze and acid and whatever else.
>>
Pooland
Just finished Dubliners, but let's count it as currently reading.
I guess I wanted read the meme author and it turned I liked most of the stories. Generally it was a comfy read, and the ending of The Dead was absolutely magical.
>>
File: fug.jpg (191KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
fug.jpg
191KB, 1920x1080px
Cumbria, England
The Royal Assassin, Robin Hobb

Lovin' these books so far, but fuck me when is this poor cunt going to get a break.
>>
File: download.png (56KB, 163x177px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
56KB, 163x177px
Belgium
Currently reading Crime and Punishment, Wise Man's Fear (which is trash), planning on starting Invisible Cities and Titus Groan when I'm done with these.
>>
>>8352069
>Wise Man's Fear (which is trash)
I honestly don't mind his prose, but the whole Mary Sue accusation is not a meme.
>>
>>8352086
What bothers me is how ridiculous it often gets. The whole Ademre part is the most uninteresting thing I've read in a while, plus the way he fucks everyone he meets after a certain point in the book is just retarded.
>>
>>8352090

I can see how he tries to temper it, with Kvothe being rather self deprecating, but still, it doesn't really detract from the fact that he learnt sex magic from some primal lust goddess from the Fae realm (and convinced he to let him leave) and then almost immediately proceeds to go on and learn how to fight with an isolationist culture who purposefully do not teach anyone else how to fight because it's their biggest advantage.

Oh and the culture thinks sex is just chill and everyone gets laid all the time.
>>
>>8349789
>23
>Small town in South Africa
>The Odyssey - Homer

Good book, I can see how it influenced the narrative of the Hero's Journey. It focuses on the scenes where it needs to, and the little details and flowery language make for a pleasant read.

The story telling can get a bit jarring, as it jumps around a lot to different time frames. That, and one has to suspend your disbelief over Odysseus's fame and fortune. But it's explained to be the gods favoring him and toying with him at the same time.
>>
>>8350869
>Vilnius
Where in Vilnius?
>>
>>8349789

>18
>Leeds
>White Noise

It's lost on me
>>
>>8349789
>>age
>>location
West of Ireland
>>book you're currently reading and how do you like it
Aristotle, metaphysics. It's alright.
>>
>>8352144
I'm reading The Odyssey, too. Are you reading the Fitzgerald translation as well?
>>
>>8351780
>Joyce
>Anglo
>>
>>8349789
US of A
>>
>>8352253
Indeed I am, the 1961 edition
>>
>>8351965
God bless him
>>
>>8351954
yeah...it feels like everything is so loose and tangentially connected, but to the point where its mostly failing to be interesting, mysterious, and provoking

>>8351873
thing is South of the Border is my favorite by him, the first one I read. (i've read NW and Colorless otherwise)

I didn't think NW was that great, but I liked Colorless more, though none of them hit me like SBWS. I keep reading his books to figure out if i even like him
>>
>>8352311
read Kafka in the Shore
>>
>>8349789
18, Illinois, Status Anxiety by Alain de Botton. I like it, it's quite clever.
>>
>>8352311
I don't know, there's something weird about him. I get all the criticism he gets and I think his main character is almost always the same. But, I still enjoy him quite a lot. I think I just like his word's choices and his similes. I understand why he is not as great as some people try to make him seem; but as far as joy goes, I get a lot.
>>
>>8349789
>23
>Swedistan
>Suecia Antique et Hodierna, commentated
>>
>>8352490
Forgot to comment if I like it. I do. It's originally a propaganda piece with beautiful sketches of Swedish buildings during the time of the Swedish Empire.
>>
>18
>Belfast, N.Ireland
>The Hobbit and The End by Ian Kershaw.

The Hobbit is quite disappointing. It's easy to read but I find it a little underwhelming but it is charming. The End is far more intriguing. It examines the reasons that Nazi Germany did not surrender when in an unwinnable position.
>>
>>8351885
>in Latin
Wish I could do that. Had you read it in translation already before starting the original?
>>
>>8352480
i kind of agree actually, he is sort of easy to read and despite the almost formulaic nature of his books(that ive read) theyre still pretty enjoyable. I think i'm going to try After Dark and Kafka on the Shore next. Do you have a favorite?
>>
>>8352590
I usually have a extremely hard time trying to decide on favorites; but maybe the short story Landscape with Flatiron and South of the Border for novels, but this is subject to change quite easily. There's something I really like about Dance, Dance, Dance, but it's definitely not my favorite, there's just something about it.

This level of «mysterious» not-knowing is just me not being analytical, I don't know.

I thought Colorless was particularly flat, besides some parts. I enjoyed NW a lot, mostly because I know what is to be close to a mentally ill person and not knowing what to do, clinging to false hopes (and also being in the other side of that).
>>
File: sbooby.png (52KB, 700x419px) Image search: [Google]
sbooby.png
52KB, 700x419px
>>8351865
>>8352559

Wanna fug? :^)
>>
>18
>Rhode Island, USA
>The Seychelles Affair: fuck commies and fuck marxism while were at it

It's the first book I've decided to actually read in a while. A lot of other books just bored me or I didn't understand. This one I truly want to read.
>>
>>8352712
Depends, are you a taig or a prod?
>>
File: Northern Ireland intensifies.jpg (138KB, 1002x496px) Image search: [Google]
Northern Ireland intensifies.jpg
138KB, 1002x496px
>>8352735

Pic related.
>>
>24
>Dinwiddie, Virginia
>Edmund White's biography of Proust

It's okay, I guess.
>>
File: Bobby Sands.jpg (146KB, 1231x841px) Image search: [Google]
Bobby Sands.jpg
146KB, 1231x841px
>>8352754
Triggered me a little.
>>
File: Brits Out Blacks In.jpg (95KB, 269x443px) Image search: [Google]
Brits Out Blacks In.jpg
95KB, 269x443px
>>8352774

Shame, I'd have liked to occupy your orifices.

:(
>>
File: one_ireland_one_island.jpg (51KB, 138x161px) Image search: [Google]
one_ireland_one_island.jpg
51KB, 138x161px
>>8352774
>>8352784

<3
>>
File: stephen-king-it.jpg (25KB, 401x600px) Image search: [Google]
stephen-king-it.jpg
25KB, 401x600px
>age

>location

Mexico City

It-Stephen King

It's fucking amazing. It's interesting where Pennywise is from and how he (she) came to earth.
I just want to fuck Beverly Marsh in the asshole.
By the way, Pennywise reminds me of Lovecraft's Nyarlathotep.
>>
File: CormacMcCarthy_BloodMeridian.jpg (30KB, 229x350px) Image search: [Google]
CormacMcCarthy_BloodMeridian.jpg
30KB, 229x350px
>18
>Scotland
>Mood Bleridian
It's pretty neato. Only about 100 pages in, but the Judge is pretty interesting. Only thing is, I've never read a writer with such inconsistent prose. I mean, he runs the gamut from almost Joyce-tier to try-hard adolescent shit. Anyone else get this?
>>
>>8349946
What part are you on?
>>
>>8352702
Ah, I also wanted to read Dance, Dance, Dance, but I'll probably read the whole Rat "trilogy" first

And yeah, now that i think about it Colorless was definitely flat in a way. I mostly liked it because I thought it was more cohesive than NW. NW actually made me cry; I was feeling very down when I read it. I haven't thought of it from the perspective that you enjoyed it from...for me it was more the relationship between the two(three?) that I enjoyed. That and the concepts of inexpressible feelings and desiring someone but having a situation entirely out of your hands. I just disliked the rest of it I guess lol.

>This level of «mysterious» not-knowing is just me not being analytical, I don't know.

I feel the same way about a lot of books...I think its part being not-analytical or not taking to time to think it through enough(which is where blogging about/reviewing books comes in handy for me), but also just part of the nature of art. With Murakami, he leaves so much space for mystery in his writing its probably intended for readers to feel that way :)

Good talk.
>>
TN Memphis
A Brief History of Seven Killings

Pretty cool. Just meeting all of the characters.
Is this going to be like "the wire: cold war Jamaica"? If so thats fine by me.
>>
>21
>Connecticut(will be at UCONN Storrs in the fall)
Gravity's Rainbow. Loving it, but really slogging through it, like a couple pages a day. My attention span and energy is fucked from too many drugs but it's a great book and I feel I'm getting a lot out of it.
>>
>>8349789
>22
>Pittsburgh
>Just finished The Corrections; while Franzen isn't as smart as he thinks he is the novel is damn good nonetheless. The language is simultaneously clumsy and erudite but my interest never flagged. Franzen has some compelling insight up his sleeve but Cornfather wouldn't approve.
>>
>23
>ohio
>Adieux: A Farewell to Sartre

Just started it and its okay
>>
>>8353204
mfw when got GR this morning and read 75 pages already today, planning to break 110 before going to sleep in a few hours.
>>
St. Louis, MO
Running With Scissors - Augusten Burroughs

It's a quick read and scarily it almost accurately describes my life up until now...
>>
File: bella.jpg (25KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
bella.jpg
25KB, 350x350px
>Age
>Location
Celebration, Florida
>Book
The Postmodern Scene by Arthur Kroker and David Cook
>How do you like it?
>>
>>8353329
>mfw when
>read 75 pages already today
You know where to go.
>>
>>8353405
my home, /lit/, where I rule benevolently.
>>
>>8352580
Yes. I am quite lucky in that my school taught Latin from an early age (a very old fashioned Catholic private school).
>>
Newfoundland, Canada
On The Road by Kerouac. I've read it before but I'm re-reading to hopefully get more out of it. I enjoyed it before and I am enjoying it alot more now to be honest. Maybe it's because Im older.
>>
Rio de Janeiro
The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway for the fourth or fifth time now

Still pretty good. Still my favorite author.
The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber should be read by every single male before age 18.
>>
>>8353329
Do you feel you're getting enough out of it? If so I'm jealous of your abilities. I'm taking tons of margin notes and trying to follow the logic of it closely. It hasn't been too hard to follow honestly, I just need a lot of coffee or Adderall to be focused for long enough
>>

Missoula, Montana

Saramago - The Gospel According to Jesus Christ
It's not what I expected. It concerns itself with the Joseph/Mary nativity aspect much more than I wanted. I'm about 2/3 of the way through and it hasn't even gotten to the "meat" of the other gospels and how they portray Jesus' life. I'm not as interested in the parts he focuses on.

Plus his depiction of yahweh is perplexing. He makes God seem like an impatient mid-20th century businessman. Not what I anticipated and not really that good of a depiction in my eyes.
>>
>20
>Chile
>Love in the time of cholera
>>
>>8353601
Something I took out of reading Ulysses for a class a few years ago and learning a foreign language through reading (German), you just have to read through it. Don't get caught up on little things. Get the basics, then consider coming back to the work in a year or so to really slosh through it.

If you're a decent reader at all, you'll probably get most of the plot and one-layer-deep references the first time through, and you'll actually enjoy it because it'll seem like an actual story instead of highbrow abstraction.
>>
Litoral Norte, Santa Catarina, Brazil
Selected parts from Schoppy's "Parerga und Paralipomena"

Great commentary on literary style and decline of language, general rambling about German grammar and the usual Fichte, Shelling an Hegel hate. I like it, 9/10.
>>
>>8353601
>>8353643
I do feel like I've gotten more than enough out of it, and also, while I've read about 90 pages by now, it's still taken me about 2.5-3 hours to do so. I just have a good attention span for it, and I try to only take breaks to eat or write. I dedicated the day to it.
>>
>>8353618

Have you read Blindness?

It's excellent
>>
>>8349789
>age
>location
Sweden
Color of Magic
Terry Pratchett is my "guilty pleasure" except I don't feel guilty since his writing is actually pretty good. When I finish it I'm doing Philosophical Investigations.
>>
>>8353668
Nope, this is my first Saramago. I've been interested in biblical themes and it seemed like a necessary novel for that. I'm willing to keep trying. I guess I should've had a different approach to a book about Jesus that's written by a self-proclaimed "atheist".
>>
>>8349971
>Living literally in the middle of nowhere in a state people forget exists
>>
>>8353690

If you don't like this work then don't discredit him as an author, try Blindness, it's an incredible book.
>>
>>8353712
>criticizing a 19 year old for where he/she lives
Yeah, people who don't control where they were born or where their parents/guardians relocate to are total schmucks
>>
>>8353757
I'm criticizing him because I too live in New Mexico

No Longer Human

A lot of the shit hits home
>>
>26

>Mid Ohio

>The Fountainhead

I found it to be pretty interesting, dealing with several philosophical concepts at once.
>>
>>8353777
YA BOY KOMMT AUS EINEM KLEINEN DORF IN OHIO - KIDRON, MORE COWS THAN PEOPLE, BETWEEN CANTON AND WOOSTER. HE HASN'T BEEN BACK THERE IN YEARS. #BLESSED
>>
>20
>Arizona
>The World as Will and Representation, Heart of a Dog, and Chimera
TWaWaR is pretty good, the first bit is pretty boring, but I think epistemology is boring in general. Heart of a Dog is great, nearly finished. I've only read the first novella in Chimera, but it was really good, highly recommend
>>
>>8353643
>>8353665
So my fear is essentially that I am not a decent reader. I actually also read through Ulysses recently and my realization was that I don't read closely enough, hence my slow careful close reading. How does one realize they are a decent reader?
>>
nyc
minima moralia

is GOOD
>>
>>8349789
>19
>North Carolina
>Sorta alternating between Infinite Jest and Blood Meridian
I think they're both alright so far.
And, uh, that's about it.
>>
File: 113.jpg (9KB, 210x254px) Image search: [Google]
113.jpg
9KB, 210x254px
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Reading The Brothers Karamazov.
About page 160, give or take. It's been quite a bit of fun so far.
>>
NZ
Sabbath's Theater
Its good. I very much like it
>>
>18
>Penang, Malaysia
>Rashomon and Seventeen Other Stories

Akutagawa's works are a charm - beautifully prosed and brilliantly influenced by Western and Eastern cultures. The themes in each of his stories are profound and send me into deep rumination every time I complete one them. I personally enjoyed Hell Screen and Chuugi (Loyalty) the most. I will pick up Kappa as soon as I finish this.

>Lolita
Reading it in short pauses. Nabokov's grandiloquent style is overwhelms me at times, but I love it so far.
>>
>45
>Ann Arbor, MI
>Finnegan's Wake for the 8th time. Still clueless.
>>
>>8354781
Just read Akutagawa's stories. Hell screen was fantastic, I thought in a grove was good as well
>>
>28
>Hungary
>Don Quixote
>>
>>8349843
Richard is that you?
>>
>>8354954
oh, and it's pretty good
>>
30. 31 in a couple of months
Guatemala
2666, Once and Future King and the Poetic Edda.

I'm enjoying 2666's easy-to-approach prose, but the subject feels like pure cuckery. But it apparently turns into an apocalyptic detective story later on, so I'll keep on reading.

As for Once and Future King and the Poetic Edda, I'm enjoying it. But I think Paradise Lost was so good, it ruined epic poetry for me, so I'm not enjoying the Poetic Edda that much, which is a shame, because I would've adored it if I'd read it before I read Paradise Lost.
>>
>>8350971
Valencia
I was thinking of reading Ulysses eventually, but I'm getting prepared first, is too big of a meme to dive right in without preparation. Also are you reading it in English or Spanish? If in English where did you get it?
>>
Zurich
Nachts unter der steinernen Brücke. It's an interesting approach in storytelling. Also the location of Bohemia and the Jewish influence make it worthwhile. Other than that not too much is happening.

>>8350493
I love pronouncing Arkansas. Arkensaw Arkensaw Arkensaw. Your state is really beautiful from what I've seen.
>>
>20
>Miami
>Blood Meridian

This shit's cash as fuck
>>
>>8355040
I'm reading la traducción de Valverde. It's my first time with Ulysses so I can't really say how is the translation.
Don't let the memes confuse you. It is perfectly comprehensible as long as you're used to read stuff with stream of consciousness n shit. All the erudite references shit is pretty secondary desu, I feel like I would enjoy it even if I didn't read any of the works alluded. Have a surface-level knowledge on Christianism, read Homer, Hamlet, Joyce's previous works and maybe the Divine Comedy and you're fine. Soltará más referencias, pero las que yo he pillado no son realmente relevantes para el desarrollo de la historia. La Anábasis de Jenofonte, por ejemplo, es referenciada dos o tres veces pero no es en absoluto importante.
>>
>18
>Suburb of Detroit
>Banner under heaven
Mormon fundamentalists are creepy as hell my dudes
>>
>>8355130
Should I read?? I'm an 8/10 thick white male.
>>
Melbourne Australia
The Brothers Karamazov - Pevear & Volokhonsky translation.
I have previously read Garnett's version and am enjoying this one a little more. I still have trouble believing the silly way a lot of the characters talk, but they behave similar to characters in Gogol and Chekov so maybe Russians really do talk like that.
>>
>23
>Portugal

Currently reading Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa, it's pretty good for a light read with some cool self-improvement themes throughout. It's like a really well written Anime, with all of its tropes but all of them well developed.
>>
>>8355072
>Nachts unter der steinernen Brücke

Does this mean "starry nights under the bridge"?
>>
>>8349789
NC
White Boy Shuffle
It's pretty funny.
>>
>>8350126
Stop with that one, all the novels are downhill from there. I couldn't even finish Drangon Dance or whatever.
>>
>>8350181
>Mrs. Dalloway
My nigger
>>
>>8349789

>20
>Florida
>Just finished reading The Great Gatsby

Interesting book. Now I gotta find a new one.

Or maybe just start writing one.
>>
>>8349789
> 18
> South Carolina
> The Bible and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
>>
>>8355344
Gracias por el tip. Lo tengo pendiente por culpa de los autistas de aquí. Despues de Almas Muertas tengo que leer Cumbres Borrascosas, La rebelión de Atlas y T.S.Elliot.
I got memed. De donde eres? Tambien se derrite la tinta de los libros con este calor donde vives tu?
>>
>>8349789
>21

>NH, USA

>The Selfish Gene, The Soul of a Man Under Socialism, Communist Manifesto
>>
>23
>Southern Ontario
>The Magic Mountain, Thomas Mann
It's incredible. I just hope I can finish it before I have to leave.
>>
>>8355827
>La rebelión de Atlas

No te recomiendo en lo absoluto ese despije de libro.
>>
>>8349789
>24
>N. Ireland
>Wise Blood

It's nice. It's also the second consecutive book I've read with a male character called Hazel.
>>
Ohio
Read all of Fight Club last night
I'll probably read American Psycho tonight
>>
>18
>Portland, OR
>Galactic Pot-Healer
I'm enjoying it. I've been on a Phillip K Dick bender.
>>
Serbia
Dubliners by James Joyce
Boring af
>>
>>8356132
Well, you gonna tell the class what you fucking thought of Edge Club?
>>
>>8349789
>age
>location
NY
Hypersphere. I really like it but I can never find the time to read, these days.
>>
>>8349789
>age

>location
Portugal

>book
Tolstoi's War and Peace. I'm currently in a Tolstoi/russian writter binge, finished Dostoyevsky (who i've now taken as one of my favourites) and started Tolstoi.

Loving it so far, i feel like trying to say why would only lead to my words failing me.
>>
>>8349929
go do some crack, lol
>>
>>8350097
Metro is great. the only book who actually made me shiver.

>That pitch black tunnel
>that bourbon death

just fuck my shit up senpai
>>
>>8350126
it's the best one, and it goes downhill from there, faster than dagumi in initial D
>>
>>8349789
>33
>Peru
>The Karamasov Bros and Infinite Jest

I like both.
>>
>>8350914
>that sperm whale jerking of scene

how come no one ever mentions that?
>>
File: chris-hansen.jpg (26KB, 352x707px) Image search: [Google]
chris-hansen.jpg
26KB, 352x707px
>>8351210
>Lolita
>find it easy to identify with the narrator

Why don't you take a seat?
>>
>>8351210
I'm actually gay and attracted to adults, but I found it easy to identify with the narrator as well. The way he ponders things, the way he sentimentally attaches himself to each excruciatingly passing moment.
>>
>>8352834
>Pennywise reminds me of Lovecraft's Nyarlathotep.

Could very well be. i just finished reading lovecrafts entire works (which were great) and some stories by other writers in the same universe.

Nyarlathotep is the one deity who seems to enjoy fucking around with the humans. He can "invoke" a "human" avatar, which appears a joyous old man, and delights in cruelty and misery.

could very well be. but the most lovecraftian work of King is, without a doubt, The Mist. The book pretty much has a lovecraftian tale apening in the background of the main story
>>
>>8353618
as a Portuguese avid reader, i hate saramago. you cannot imagine the pure dryness and ill written shit he's put out later in life.

i've read it all (almost under obligation). the blindness, caim, Baltasar and Blimunda, the death of Ricardo Reis, etc....

and i just cannot bring myself to like it. he has interesting literary and phylosophical ideas, if you look hard enough. but it's not an interesting read. i had to force myself to read it and even then i read at an extremely slow rate. i read shakespear (which is in my second language) 5x faster.

The portuguese doesn't respect the rules, and it's incredibly boring, and at times, it's just unpleasent.

it's like reading the bible as an atheist.
>>
>21
>austria
>tišma - kapo
after "schule der gottlosigkeit" [german title] my second book by this author and i think i might have found my new favorite writer
>>
>>8356294
It's worst to read the Bible as a theist.
>>
>>8355827
Yo también quiero tantear a Elliot, pero nunca me resuelvo a pedir algo suyo por Amazon.
Soy de Asturias, por cierto.
>>
>>8356049
Aorende a formar oraciones antes de lurkear y recomendar panchi
>>
>>8356452
Soy yo o para pedir libros que leen por aqui y literatura decente te tienes que ir a Internet? En lugares como Fnac o Casa del Libro tienen muy poca cosa fuera de los clasicos.
Tiene que estar bien Asturias ahora mismo. Una vez fui a un pueblo en Leon, Riaño. Eso era el puto paraiso en la tierra.
>>
>>8356829
¿En qué forma está mal formulada mi oración anterior?
>>
Germany
Dune
Just started reading the book
>>
>18
>Burgerland
>Gorin No Sho
>p gud
>>
>>8349789
>24
>ATM Germany, I live in Austria tho
>Anna Karenina

I´m about 30-35% through it and I´m actually suprised how much I like it so far.
>>
>>8349789
New Jersey
A Game of Thrones (Yes, the first one) It's not awful tbqh.
>sue me
>>
>>8350126
If you pay attention, you'll solve that mystery. :3
>>
Florida
To The Lighthouse, it's fucking great
>>
Kent, England
Infinite Jest

Haven't read enough to say an opinion that won't change but so far it's been worth the hype.
>>
Brazil
Bruno Leoni - Freedom and the Law, pretty good
>>
>>8355377
Yes fucking read it. Every man should.
>>
>tfw you just skimmed the thread quick
>tfw you just wanted to know if you´re already too old to be here

I still have some time left but my 4chan/meme era seems to find it´s final stage....so be it
>>
>>8349789
25, Murrica, reflections on language by chomsky.
It's like you'd expect if you'd read as much of the social sciences as I have. Ambiguous and interchangeable terminology thrown at unquantifiable subjects like the line between nature and nurture. Noam chomsky is the winner of the bullshitting contest that is the social sciences.
>>
Catania, Italy.
I just finished The restaurant at the end of the universe.
I'm loving the series
>>
>>8357093
same

>tfw no longer underageb& on /v/
>>
>>8357131
The radio series is better.
And Dirk Gently.
>>
>>8357093
We're all ageing at the same rate. The number of physically oldfags and how old they are will increase over time.
>>
>>8357132
interesting did your boards also change with time?
>>
>>8357152
yep

/v/ (15-17) -> /mu/ (17-19) -> /lit/ (19-22)
>>
>>8355377
Yeah, absolutely. If you can pull off the pudgy outlaw aesthetic it's a real necessity.
>>
Zagreb, Croatia
Fahrenheit 451
It suxx
>>
>>8357131
>>8357078
>>8357069
>>8357059
>>8357039
>>8357295
>>8356996
>>8357009

I always half jokingly accused everyone on this board of being a dipshit twenty year old. Who knew I was right?
>>

Goochland, Virginia

Schoolgirl - Osamu Dazai
Actually just finished and I quite enjoyed it, felt like I could relate
>>
>>8349789
us
moby dick, pretty good stuff
>>
Guayaquil, Ecuador
For whom the bell tolls
It's ok i guess
>>
back again
20 :^)
NJ
Prometheus Bound (from Grene & Lattimore's Greek Tragedies v. 1)
>>
19 M
Pennsylvania
Just starting The Portable Nietzsche by Kaufmann, I've been familiar with some of his ideas tangentially for a long time and wanted to get to actually reading him. Also working my way through the Bible about 6 chapters a day.
>>
>>8357989
bible for academic or spiritual purposes?
>>
>>8358020
In reality for academic purposes. Most of my life I've been agnostic and although I don't know how I'd find the will to faith personally, I do value Christianity. I think it's a force for good in society and I would never consider getting involved with a nonreligious woman. And that's the other reason I'm reading it, so that once I'm more educated about Christianity I'll be better prepared for the Christian girl I'm (currently) chasing..

I'd start attending church if I could find the will alone. I come from a secular home and I'm going to college though so.. I just don't have enough strength to draw from to take that leap by myself.

inb4 you go full fedora on my ass
>>
I read No longer human past sunday
It broke me
>>
Georgia
Genealogy of Morals
>>
>>8358051
no fedora-ing here, was just curious. interesting perspective, especially the part about not getting involved with a nonreligious woman. i don't think i've ever heard that from a nonreligious person lol. i myself was christian til just a few months ago, went to full christian schooling and everything. i'm atheist but haven't bought a fedora yet :^)
>>
>>8352869
i can sort of see why you think that but could you provide examples of both?
>>
>>8349789
London
Ready Player One

It's good.
>>
>>8358112
Hehe. Well, I was raised completely secular though in a very religious area and some of my earliest thought that I can remember was critical of religion. I'd say probably around the age of 14 though my view of Christianity turned from negative to neutral, and the more I think about it the more I believe it's a good thing. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be back to my edgy-adolescent self and you'll be as faithful as ever?
>>
>>8349789
>22
>London
>cuckolding and you
>>
File: ned kelly.jpg (38KB, 262x394px) Image search: [Google]
ned kelly.jpg
38KB, 262x394px
U S A
Butcher's Crossing

I'm half way through and absolutely love it, everything this guy wrote is amazing. Reminds me a lot of Moby Dick somehow.
>>
>>8350337
bc
Truth and Method

dude yes German Hermeneutics philosophy
>>
>>8358141
hahaha oh god i hope not.
>>
Orlando
I just started reading The Brothers Karamazov so I don't have much of an opinion yet
Read Notes from Underground yesterday though and thought it was incredible
>>
>>8357344
do you really expect 30+ year olds on the site? are you retarded?
>>
>>8356839
Para pedir cosas en inglés sí que te tienes que ir a Internet. En los casadelibros, fnacs y demás tienen muy poco, y la mayoría son cosas como Juego de Tronos. Para encontrar traducciones no he tenido ningún problema, la verdad. Me sorprendió encontrar todas las novelas de Pynchon en bastantes tiendas rollo cadenas de esas cuando empecé a leerlo. Así a ojo, te diría que casi todos los libros del (tristemente) célebre top 100 de /lit/ los he visto por la FNAC (traducidos, claro) en algún momento u otro.
Bueno, lo jodido que tiene Asturias en verano es que llueve. Pero una vez te acostumbras no se está mal.
>>
Midwest
No longer human
Hits close home desu
>>
>>8349789
Music for Chameleons from Capote.
Although the book isnt bad per se, the libshit mentality and general faggotry of the writer is always showing and it makes me hate it.
>>
>>8356992
En "LO" absoluto
"Despije" de libro
>>
>>8357344
If I will be still here by the time I'm over 30 remind me to kill myself
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.