[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lit/, which author/philosopher was it who said something in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: img145.jpg (217KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
img145.jpg
217KB, 750x750px
/lit/, which author/philosopher was it who said something in the lines of "who we are is formed in the eyes of others"/"our persona exists through our observers" or something like that.

I'm pretty sure it was Camus but I can't find it through google. Anyone here knows?
>>
>>8348349
Oh I know that: start with the greeks.
>>
>>8348349
He didn't make that quote, but Lacan's general psychoanalytic theory echoes that statement.
>>
>>8348380
Great memeing, friend, but that meme doesn't even make sense as a reply in relation to this thread.

>>8348383
Well is there a certain quote by Lacan who reflects it? It is a certain singular quote I'm looking for.
>>
>>8348389
Read his seminar 'Identification'.

Start with the Greeks, though
>>
>>8348408
Cheers, I always appreciate a good recommendation, but just to be clear though: I'm not searching for some generic good quote, I'm looking for a specific one I've read before. I'm guessing it must be a pretty well-known one.
>>
>>8348349

It's Sartre. I don't know the quote, but I know it's Sartre.
>>
>>8348424
Who gives a shit about a stupid quote, friend?

Read the idea behind the quote.
>>
>>8348441
Thanks, that helps narrow it down at least! Any idea in what context? Is it from a book likely?
>>
>>8348449
The Lacan faggot here. It's probably The Psychology of the Imagination.

There, the Other is not a positive datum, a self-identical being, but a process of choosing itself; as such, it is an identity that requires its own social constitution in order to be. The self only comes to be through the look of the Other that afiirms and creates this self. Clearly, the self is not wholly created by the Other; before the look of the Other, the self is a body and sustains instrumental relations with the world, but remains at a distance from its own flesh and from the sensible presence of Others and the world. Before the constitutive exchange of desire, the self is mute and, perhaps, functional, closed in on itself, bearing within itself an implicit history and a thwarted set of possibilities. The desire of the Other brings that self into being; it does not cause that self to exist, but rather, to assume its being, that is, to begin its process of creating itself through determinate acts which are affirmed through the recognition of the Other.
>>
Pretty sure that was Peter Gabriel
>>
>>8348469
Thanks anon, I appreciated that read. But again: I really want dat quote.
>>
Gombrowicz
>>
>>8348449
>>8348469
Disregard that, it's probably Being and Nothingness:

>I want to assimilate the Other as the Other-looking-at-me, and this project of assimilation includes an augmented recognition of my being-looked-at. In short, in order to maintain before me the Other's freedom which is looking at me, I identify myself totally with my being-looked-at. (BN 365)
>my being-an-object is the only possible relation between me and the Other, it is this being-as-object which alone can serve me as an instrument to effect my assimilation of the Other's freedom (BN 365)
>>
Sartre, being and nothingness or however it is translated. All the subchapters are titled, look for the ones that talk about looking, being looked at and being shy.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.