[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm 21. I read The Castle, The Stranger, Cain (by Saramago),

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1445898855368.jpg (141KB, 750x991px) Image search: [Google]
1445898855368.jpg
141KB, 750x991px
I'm 21.

I read The Castle, The Stranger, Cain (by Saramago), and Siddharta these last weeks. I enjoyed all of them very much (And didn't find them challenging). Then I tried reading Steppenwolf and found it very fucking hard, I have to slow down way too much to try and understand something and it frustrates me and doesn't seem worth it. I read a paragraph and say to myself "there is no way I'm going to decipher the meaning behind this."

I got interested in reading later in life, and I'm scared my brain has developed in such a way that it may never understand more difficult text and literary ideas.

I imagine Steppenwolf isn't even supposed to be hard.

Anyone relate? Anyone got anything to say that may clear my mind? I'm leaving Steppenwolf for now and reading simpler stuff to develop my skill before trying again.
>>
>>8347889
How was The Castle?
>>
>>8347916
I liked it a lot, loved the atmosphere. Also read Amerika and found them similar and enjoyed it for similar reasons. Amerika was more tense and that made it fun. I feel like seeing Kafka's characters react to the situations they're put in (not necessarily with their actions but also their emotions) in a way makes my life experience grow and makes me better suited to face life's emotional challenges. Also for this reason I liked the books.
>>
>>8347889

Steppenwolf is entry-lvl literature, but it's still literature. The themes are mostly deeper than that of those other books, so it's natural you feel blocked.

Your brain can develop to understand difficult texts and ideas, it will only take some time. You gotta read more books and become more fluent in their literary themes before tackling more difficult works. And this proccess is repeated each time you find a harder book.
>>
>>8347889
I've hit odd speed bumps. I couldn't read Mrs. Dalloway or Nausea the first few times I tried, don't know why.

Try switching gears and read something else to give your mind something else to chew on, then go back to Steppenwolf.
Based on your taste I'd recc
>The Trial
>Demian
>Stoner
>Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man
>>
If you're a new reader don't sweat it. You'll get better, but stick with it. I was the same way starting out and I haven't improved much since, but fuck it. Also, you might be dumb. I think I am. You shouldn't let this discourage your choices though.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.