[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

you guys are smart and shit right? this is /lit related because

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1459386684132.jpg (93KB, 499x700px) Image search: [Google]
1459386684132.jpg
93KB, 499x700px
you guys are smart and shit right? this is /lit related because it's like writing and shit and how to do writing gooder. can someone explain this to me. I just finish watching butthead and beavis in america.

Agent Bork: Chief, you know that guy whose camper they were whacking off in?
Agent Fleming: Bork, you're a Federal Agent. You represent the United States government. Never end a sentence with a preposition.
Agent Bork: Oh, uh... You know that guy in whose camper they... I mean, that guy off in whose camper they were whacking?
>>
bump English is seccond language. film was very funny. are American teens really like this?
>>
"In" is a preposition.

There is a grammatical "rule" that states "the final word in a sentence or question should not be a preposition".

It's an outdated rule and is not observed very often anymore.

Bork's second line is him trying to figure out how to rephrase the sentence so that it doesn't end in a preposition.
>>
It's a variation on the Churchillism “This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put.”

It's also never been a rule, it's just dumbasses confusing Latin grammar rules with English.
>>
>>8347816
wow English is confusing. I thought what Bork first said was good?
>>
>>8347705

>are American teens really like this?

Yes.
>>
>butthead and beavis in america.
>butthead and beavis
>>
>>8347854
It is. We have phrasal verbs that can have a preposition as a particle (put in, bring up etc) and don't need a direct object (in this case whacking off).

There are also prepositional verbs that must have a direct object, the particles stay together but through inversion can have the prepositional particle at the end of a sentence (this is what is happening here, the were in that guy's camper). Another example: that's something I can get behind.
>>
>>8347712
It's never been a rule. Just something that some dudes back in the day tried to make a rule because you can't end with a preposition in Latin.
>>
another question. why then is this joke funny? because Fleming is old?
>>
>>8347915
It's supposed to be humorous because Fleming responds to Bork's question regarding an obscene happening with an unexpected statement asking him to please correct his grammar because of his official position
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.