[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Get good feedback on critique threads >Get told I have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: hellodarknessmyoldfriend.jpg (8KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
hellodarknessmyoldfriend.jpg
8KB, 205x246px
>Get good feedback on critique threads
>Get told I have a talent for writing
>Always enjoyed writing since I was a young buck
>Only written one thing I actually like
>Its less than 1500 words long.
>Its genre fiction
>Its genre fan fiction
>Whenever I try to write I get stuck 200 words in with crippling self doubt that what I've written is shit.
>Struggle to write if I don't feel it will be great
>Even shit I feel is mediocre gets good feedback

This must just be a matter crippling self doubt with what I write.

I'm tempted to start writing drunk but I don't want that to be a crutch in my growth as a writer.

tl;dr How can I get past self doubt about my writing so that I can actually get better by writing more than 200 words in a day.
>>
>>8347615
Get off 4chan and work hard.

But we both know you'll keep posting 'le feel man' here instead of making something of yourself
>>
>>8347635
Okay so let's break this down.

>"work hard"

Hard? How do you mean hard? Just keep churning it out even if it feels like absolute, and sometimes unrelated, shit?

Honest question. I want to find a way through this and thinking alone hasn't helped.
>>
>>8347664
>Just keep churning it out even if it feels like absolute, and sometimes unrelated, shit?
Yeah, nigga. Practice. If you don't feel like putting it up on public view, you can just stash it somewhere and review/revise it after you've forgotten about it. Clearing your head of the ideas and emotional states that influenced the writing of a piece helps with author's blindness to a surprising degree.

Just remember that if you ever make the big break, your descendants or the holders of your estate are most definitely going to publish all that horseshit you never meant for anyone to see. So plan accordingly.
>>
>>8347615
link your fanfic
>>
>>Its genre fiction
only /lit/ meme fucks think this is bad, and even then they dont know how fucking stupid and limited the term is.

Anything from Homer to Shakespeare can be called genre fiction if you really play by the rules of the term instead of being of snobby fuck.
>>
>>8347721
http://pastebin.com/szZzds3d

Even this I feel is pretty flat, uninteresting and voiceless.

>>8347706
I suppose I should wait a little before I try to write lengthy stuff.
>>
File: disgust.jpg (23KB, 500x320px) Image search: [Google]
disgust.jpg
23KB, 500x320px
>>8347752
>Star Wars fanfiction
>>
File: 1469829008743.jpg (51KB, 519x412px) Image search: [Google]
1469829008743.jpg
51KB, 519x412px
Almost everything good you write will start as a first draft thats mediocre at best and often garbage.

Its not self doubt, its a kind of narcissism that stops you from allowing yourself to write something bad and improve it later. Writing multiple drafts of the same piece until it is good is how you practice and improve.

Im not shitting on you I was in the same place. The trick is, if youre serious about writing get over yourself and allow yourself to be bad and practice. Every single craft requires trial and error to improve. If you are a basketball player natural talent means you are tall and have good endurance and coordination, but you still need to practice applying those things to the sport. If youre a naturally talented writer you have good sense of language, storytelling, and insight into connections human or otherwise, but theres still a huge gulf between having those senses and effectively piecing together words and sentences to make them a into a good piece of art.
>>
>>8347783
Never thought of it this way.

I still think it'll take some time to crush my ego down to the right size but thank you, this helped put it into perspective.

>>8347774
>implying Star Wars hasn't been a franchise propped up on fan fiction for the last ten years

Still kek'd though.
>>
>>8347615
Don't feel shitty, anon. I've just finished my first novel, and I get endless shit for it. It's like, how dare I write fantasy, that must mean I'm a retarded autist.

Then someone reads it, and yeah, it's a first draft, yeah it needs work, but that is what beta readers do. I get my feedback, and I polish it. Don't let self doubt and asshat feedback stop you from writing. If I had, I'd be looking at 7500 words, instead of a 100k novel, with sequels in the future.

Don't let your dreams be dreams, motherfucker.
>>
If you keep getting good feedback why do you think it's shit? This has never made sense to me.
>>
>>8348216
I think I just don't trust the feedback enough to believe it over my own self doubt.

>>8347964
>100k
Right now that seems impossible, but I'll keep the faith.

This thread has helped.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.