[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Real talk, /lit/. Should I get an agent and try to go the standard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: Gen 13.jpg (333KB, 518x800px) Image search: [Google]
Gen 13.jpg
333KB, 518x800px
Real talk, /lit/. Should I get an agent and try to go the standard publishing route or should I just put it up on KDP and lobby for reviews myself? Genre is young adult although it's somewhat violent and has flawed protagonists and I think it would be a hard sell to a publisher.
>>
>"Should I get an agent?"
Dude, if you can convince an agent then YES go get an agent.

Here's the breakdown on what I've learned and you can take the advice or leave it.

Check out a podcast on YouTube called "the self publishing podcast" it's three guys who churn out lots of genre work and have really nailed down how to move units to their target demographic. There's lots of episodes so add the words "Mark lefebvre" "dan wood" "draft2digital" "kobo" or "going wide" to the narrow the search to the episodes that will rEally help. I've learned more in 6 hours with these guys than I have in the past year. They'll explain bookbub, the world markets, why you should or should not go with KDP select, etc.

Knock yourself out dude.
>>
>>8345774

if your book is any good or sellable, yes, you should try to get an agent

on the other hand, if you just want your book "published," have no standards, and want to spend your time marketing your book instead of writing, then you should self-publish
>>
>>8345811
not op, but thanks for the advice, will do
>>
Where can I get that comic? Is it as sexy as it looks?
>>
>>8346751
You should strive to have a stronger will. Cucked by basic marketing.
>>
>>8345774
>Should I get an agent
yes. those faggots can do magic, I have seen good books never get over 500 reviews while newbe trash YA writer can make it into NY top 100.
>>8345774
>Genre is young adult although it's somewhat violent and has flawed protagonists and I think it would be a hard sell to a publisher.
if it was good enough for DC and Image
>>
>>8346751
no.There is very little sex in it (less than in mainstream books) its mostly teen drama with powers.
>>
>>8345774
Self-publishing should ALWAYS be a last resort.
>>
>>8347170
Andy weir might disagree
>>
>>8347170
Not if your goal is explicitly to self-publish.

Sometimes the means is the end.
>>
>>8346840
This isn't a real cover either, just fanart
>>
>>8347803
Pfft. What's the point then?
>>
>>8347835
Give it a try, it's sexy, but not that sexy.
The redhead is a bit larger than in that pic and has a tendency to get her clothes torn off.

Gen13 under the Wildstorm imprint. Very 90's stuff.
>>
>>8345774
You should try to get an agent but if it's just some YA shit and it doesn't pique any interest after say, 6-9 months at most, you might as well put it up on Amazon under a pseudonym (I can't stress this part enough, don't use your actual name as the "author's" name unless you want to potentially torpedo your chances of getting published for real in the future if it flops) because it's marginally better than letting it collect dust on your harddrive or whatever.

Basically, pursue the agent querying process for at least half a year, and if it goes nowhere in that time, then consider putting it up and trying to promote it yourself.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.