[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a totally secular book that will actually make living

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_mucsrvJVnR1r8bnv0o1_1280.jpg (330KB, 1280x997px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mucsrvJVnR1r8bnv0o1_1280.jpg
330KB, 1280x997px
Is there a totally secular book that will actually make living seem interesting, and fill you with some sort of wonder for the universe? I wanted to make another thread about this, but I figure I would just add this to this thread; I don't see how anyone can believe the garbage that religions tell you. If the bible were just a book, then I wouldn't have a problem with it. The problem is that I don't know how so many people are willing to put up with all the contradictions and categorically false and obviously made up shit that only some bat shit insane fundamentalist would believe in, unless you compartmentalize your critical thinking skills for only things which you feel like.

So basically, I'm saying the first question I asked is the main point of the thread, the part after that is just explaining that I think you're just a massive fucking moron if you think religion is the answer to these questions. Should I read The Singularity is Near or something? What is a totally secular point book which will make the universe seem like an actually interesting place to live? I'm bored as fuck with every day existence.
>>
>>8342993

No. Read Theory of Festivity by Josef Pieper. You can try to invent wonder and celebration that mimics those elements of faith, but you'll never get there.
>>
Grayling did write a secular bible, however I have no time for that sort of nonsense (even though I respect Grayling). Anyway, I suspect you're just depressed.

Read some uplifting fiction if you're sick of life.

Also, this thread is about to be derailed by people pretending to be Christian. Enjoy that OP.
>>
Thus Spoke Zarathustra
>>
>>8342993
It's depressing to realize this cancer has driven its rotten roots even into /lit/. One would have thought this would be one of the free places. Cognitive dissonance never stops.

OP, read Borges.
>>
Stuart Kauffman? Not the best writer but interesting anyway.
>>
Jung.
Try to understand dreams, the personal unconscious, the archetypes, the collective unconscious and (final boss) synchronicity.

Or you can do drugs. I do not recommend this though.
>>
>>8343017
Stop fucking recommending people this book in itself. A reading of it without reading any of Nietzsche's other works in a primary (translated) medium and going straight to his arguable manifesto is a shit idea.
>>
>>8343052
Anon, what do you think is a good starting point for Nietzsche? TSZ bores me in a lot of passages, I found them too obvious. Of course that's due to myself being influenced by it by the works of other people that came after him.
>>
>>8343155
Don't
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.