[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I humbly seek /lit/'s wisdom on a problem that's been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (102KB, 585x675px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102KB, 585x675px
I humbly seek /lit/'s wisdom on a problem that's been plaguing me for some time now. I have the beginning of a story and the end. I have the characters fleshed out and I have the key scenes written, but I'm having a lot of trouble connecting the dots.

I spent a night just writing nonstop a few weeks ago where I managed just under ten-thousand words.

It didn't fit. The flow from event to event was too disjointed or didn't seem to follow the over arching theme of the story. I've had this beautiful idea playing out in bits and pieces in my head, but can't for the life of me find a way to make them fit harmoniously.

In the simplest case, the two MCs come from opposite sides of the spectrum and I can't find a way for them to realistically cross paths. How do you guys segue your stories together when you find yourself in a bind? Should I just write something toxic and move on or should I bring it to an editor and let them figure it out?
>>
>>8341285
Keep writing, finish a draft, let it sit for a few weeks, come back, rewrite, repeat until you're satisfied.
>>
>>8341285
It sounds dumb, but segue the segues. Write chapter 2.5 for more detail, see if that helps. I'm working on a detective novel at the moment and if two chapters don't flow, I write a new chapter between them. Keep dividing and hopefully it'll start to flow.
>>
Follow the theme you are writing and rewrite peices that don't work. Keep trying new things, and maybe you'll spring onto an idea to push the book forward.

You can also try to write something else entirely for a while, to get your mind out of the funk
>>
>>8341285
Write everything you can possibly write, given these obstacles. Sometimes a connection will show itself as you write one scene, sometimes you'll think of something new and better.
Anyway, it's much easier go see a problem when you can SEE the problem- gaps in the words on screen, and solutions become apparent.

Other tips- single out the gaps in your story and write everything that doesn't happen. Ridiculous things or ideas that you dont want to employ, but pop up in your head. Sometimes that clicks an idea of what does work.
Finish the entire thing(what you can) then read it beginning to end. Sometimes that momentum can produce new material.
>>
Thanks for all the sound advice. I really appreciate it.

Back to writing I go.
>>
>>8341533
Good luck.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.