[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So anon, what do you think of Aquinas' teleological argument

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 1.jpg (261KB, 1119x942px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
261KB, 1119x942px
So anon, what do you think of Aquinas' teleological argument for the existence of God in the Summa Theologica?
>>
Go to /his/, /lit/ as a humanities board is fucking dead.
>>
>>8339490
Is /his/ any better? I'll have to try it out.
>>
>>8339425
Is that the girl from the elf girl video? You guys know what I'm talking about.
>>
>>8339513
/his/ is totally shit, but in a different way. If /lit/ is a bunch of bachelor of arts degree-wielding pseudo-intellectuals, /his/ is a bunch of aspiring Catholic theologians.
>>
I don't understand why everything has to have a cause. Maybe the universe always existed.
>>
>>8339425
I literally could not care less than I do right now.
>>
>>8339559
>Maybe the universe always existed.

that is scientifically incorrect
>>
>>8339513
it's better
>>
>>8339425
Its bad and archaic.
>>
>>8339425

>2 watches

wew lass
>>
>>8339425
Who is the semon demon?
Anyway, I think that almost everyone who doesn't deeply get into Aquinas via commentary by contemporary authors will misunderstand it.
I believe it is correct, as in general he is the only philosopher I know who imo can form a cohesive philosophy which is equally valid in law as it is in logic and epistomology or ethics. Teleology is in general a vital concept and it has been a mistake to dismiss it. Thankfully there has been a significant revival of thomistic thought in the past 100 years and we may see him come back big time.
>>
>>8339528
>/his/ is a bunch of aspiring Catholic theologians
Nah. Lately I've seen little Christian threads. Dictator threads are still remarkably popular tho.

Some topics are tho not discussable thanks to frequent leaks from /pol/.
>>
>>8339672
I like it here more, we don't even have many hardcore fedoras, and if they are they at least read something. I mean the discourse here isn't exactly amazing, but the difference in how things work and the simple vocabulary of posters is huge.
>>
>>8339678
I started of with /his/, but after some time it gets boring (frequently similar subjects) so I moved to here.
Today /his/ had quite a diverse range of subjects. Only communism was this week discussed very often.
>>
>>8339688
I went there from time to time, it was always pretty awful because it's mostly pol/int and redditors. Some Catholics and some Catholic LARPERS and a lot of Orthodox LARPers.
>>
>>8339425
It's idiotic wish fulfillment, equating the infinitely variable notion of some force that could have caused our universe to come about with a specific humanistic idea of a conscious deity. Like all those arguments. His Argument from Contingency is bullshit: just because all things end is no proof that we're not in a state before that (obviously, this isn't the fruition of infinite time), and his Teleological Argument basically only works slightly if you equate "God" with Darwinian necessity. But I'm really not interested in debating 13th-century Catholic apologia.
>>
>>8339565
it really isn't, you dumb uneducated faggot
>>
The argument is exceptional in philosophy, in that it seems to irrefutably demonstrate what it intends. Not that other arguments aren't good, but this one is in a class of its own.

Not sure about his other arguments, but I attribute that more to my lack of understanding.

To understand, best to start with Aristotle in all honesty.
>>
>>8339425
We're not here to do your homework for you
>>
>>8339425

I'm about to go all Poseidon on yo ass, what would the Greeks say about that?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.