[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sffg/ - Science Fiction & Fantasy General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 40

File: 1464798797849.jpg (536KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1464798797849.jpg
536KB, 2048x1536px
/sffg/ "Ring of Light' quintet edition.

Full story here: http://pastebin.com/raw/nV9iPMNS

Recommendations:
>Fantasy
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg/
General: http://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: http://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/
>Sci-Fi
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: http://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ http://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Previous thread >>8326566
>>
Any other recommendations for fantasy with a girl protagonist besides Mistborn and Dragon's Daughter?
>>
>>8338251
Orphans of Chaos
>>
>>8338251
Un Lun Dun
>>
File: Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg (2MB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg
2MB, 2000x3000px
First for charts!!!
>>
>>8338333
For anyone new, this is a troll list of books to avoid. Pay it to further mind.
>>
File: 1464193791065.png (4MB, 1488x2404px) Image search: [Google]
1464193791065.png
4MB, 1488x2404px
>>8338333
Second (are these, the one with squashed aspect ratios, and the weird "pinata" one the only charts we've got?)
>>
>>8338251
Warbreaker, Elantris. Words of Radiance. Sanderson is pretty consistent with it.
>>
>>8338349
>every thread posts the same thing
>doesn't make his own list to show his superior tastes

Yeah there is a troll and it is you.
>>
>>8338349
It's not even that bad now, there's just a few baffling choices (mainly Jim Butcher and Breeks) and some that aren't really "modern".
>>
>>8338352
Yes, and no. Some of the charts I upped to imgur and put in the OP months ago. We originally had two links, one for scifi, one for fantasy. I could have forced in my chart like I did with the rest but I couldn't be arsed. Back then (and still) people too lazy to make threads. A few months of forcing it and my original chart would have been accepted.

Everyone is too lazy to make charts, they complain, but don't want to put in time to make a chart themselves. It took me hours to make that chart >>8338333, they don't want to put in the work, but they want to bitch about shit and expect others to magical make something with all their likes alone.

Let this >>8338349 anon make some more with his superior tastes. Since he calls out this chart every time it's posted.
>>
>>8338359
Hi breek anon, haven't seen you (or your special abbreviation) for a while.
>>
>>8338413
The fact that you made a chart and people are lazy doesn't make it any less awful.
>>
>>8338454
If it so awful then why don't you make one and show us your superior tastes?

You wont though because you know there are dickheads just like you who call it shit no matter what.
>>
Malazan book of the fallen is highly overrated on this board, I know everybody here hates ASoIaF but it's a lot better than malazan
>>
File: tips.jpg (26KB, 213x237px) Image search: [Google]
tips.jpg
26KB, 213x237px
>>8338626
>everybody here hates ASoIaF
People only hate it because it is popular. And to fit in on an anonymous image board you have to be edgy and hate popular things.
>>
>>8338626
yea no
>>
>>8338552
>If it so awful then why don't you make one and show us your superior tastes?
Are you retarded? We just confirmed that people are lazy.
>You wont though because you know there are dickheads just like you who call it shit no matter what.
I may be a dickhead, but your taste is fucking awful, read something that isn't fantasy from time to time, it may get better.
>>8338654
Most books people around here like are extremely popular.
>>
>>8338712
Are you going to shut him down with some good books or continue with your game of I said he said?
>>
>>8338717
Continue my game.
>>
>>8338654
>And to fit in on an anonymous image board you have to be edgy and hate popular things.
I don't know of many obscure novels people here like, I mean Pynchon, Joyce, Dostevsky, Dick, Tolstoy and well most of the at least 200 most popular novels are quite popular.
Why don't idiotic plebs such as yourself realize that people dislike Asoiaf because it is pretty bad? Popularity has got nothing to do with it.
>>
File: 1332832649979.jpg (34KB, 303x404px) Image search: [Google]
1332832649979.jpg
34KB, 303x404px
>>8338712
>but your taste is fucking awful
So if it is awful show us what these books we should be reading instead are or STFU.

You are a complete idiot who is just shitting on the list because you seem to think you need to look cool on the internet.

There is nothing wrong with any of those books, they are merely recommendations, not the definitive list of the best SFF books.

You are a fucking retard, you will continue to shit on the list and talk a load of shit because that is what retards like you do. You wont make a list of your own, or give any examples of books because you know this board is full of sad little retards just like you that will spend all day long laughing at you and calling your list shit.
>>
>>8338747
>You are a fucking retard, you will continue to shit on the list and talk a load of shit because that is what retards like you do.
Your taste is incredibly bad, read a fucking book retard.
>>
>>8338735
What makes it bad to a person who's never read it?
>>
>>8338751
Epic m8, simply epic.
>>
>>8338752
Everyone and their mother has read it.
>>
>>8338755
Fuck off to reddit son
>>
>>8338760
I'm not everyone and their mother.
>>
File: download.jpg (6KB, 278x181px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 278x181px
>The “Earthsea” books are “a meditation on mortality or what it means to be alive,” Ms. Atwood says. “And also, of course, a meditation on power...[Le Guin] is at this moment the grande dame of female science fiction writers in the United States.”

>On BBC Breakfast, Atwood explained that science fiction, as opposed to what she herself wrote, was "talking squids in outer space."

so it's okay when women writers do it?
>>
Where in any of these lists is the Kingkiller Chronicle?
>>
>>8338359
I read 10 pages of Jim Butcher's bargain bin tripe

how can anyone recommend him with a plain face? It's like The Hardy Boys for adults
>>
>>8338773
Atwood is fucking awful.
Her books are the squids in space she frowns upon.
>>
>>8338333
Ringworld is utter shit. I know it did the big dumb space object thing first and kids who've never read it like to pretend they did so they can feel smug and superior when saying "Halo/Mass Effect ripped off Ringworld".

Rendezvous with Rama was much better at capturing curiosity and was more succinct.

And that whole genetic luck bullshit was annoying, like he was going for some Hitchhiker's Guide type humor but was actually dead serious about it, but not serious enough to get into the nitty details of science underneath.
>>
>>8338791
they're talking women in outerkitchen
>>
>>8338352
I recall an Arthurian Legend list and a Female Authors list floating around. I need to unlazy and add more categories to the pinata.
>>
>>8338780
In none because it's terrible.
>>
>>8338837
It's better than half the shit you put in these charts. And you do realize these charts were made by one person right?
>>
>>8338863
No it isn't, sorry.
>>
>>8338866
Epic anon, simply epic.
>>
>>8338795
I only read the first book, I heard it turns to s&m vampires in space in the later books.
>>
>>8338866
You know many of the authors on your dumb chart praised the book?
>>
>>8338911
You can shut your eyes and scream around however much you want, won't change the fact that it's bottom barrel trash and you're a sub 100 mongrel for liking it.
>>
>>8338863
The two original sf and fantasy charts were made by one person YEARS ago, selective and the other by one person, I think another did flowchart? That shit was months ago last year I can't remember.

Just know that these:
>>8338333
>>8338352
>>8338834 (right to arm bears anon)
Are all different persons.
>>
>>8338913
Simply epic m80
>>
>>8338913
The fact that you have The Dresden Files in there makes me question if you can even read.
>>
>>8338950
Who the fuck do you think you're talking to, retard? Both are trash.
>>
>>8338911
The first book was great, but the teenage angst for denna, the friendzone, random sex goddess jaunt and escape, slow pace (which means he wouldn't be able to tell the storykeeper/historian the entire shit in 3 days), one night stand turning his dick into the magic stick(which can fuck anyone's bitch), the tangents the story took along the way, kvothe being skilled beyond belief..... although you can say since he is telling the story himself he maybe embellishing it a bit(a lot) and thinks he speaks of did happen, but maybe not in that order.

I mean if he can forget his name, why can't he forget the more important and prominent aspects of his story?

tl;dr he wasn't consistent with his story and his unlikable female character pissed everyone off
>>
>>8338913
Fantasy is a bottom barrel genre kid.
>>
everyone knows way of kings drags on without much plot, but would you say the worldbuilding/lore makes up for it?
>>
So I apparently have a uncorrected proof copy of The Warrior Prophet, should I try and find a final version? Can anyone who has read this version say if there are any glaring errors or typos?
>>
>>8338975
>uncorrected
>Can anyone who has read this version say if there are any glaring errors or typos
>>
>>8338969
If you like reading one of those encyclopedias that have characters for children to retain their attention span sure
>>
>>8338950
>there is one person other than me in the entire thread
Fagget >>8338913 person isn't the one who made the chart, I am. I haven't even responded to you until now.

You going off the rails for people not liking your book? I didn't put kingkiller because I didn't want to subject people to what Rothfuss did to me, he lured me into a plush well furnished box to have a seat and get comfy... he then removed a slot at the top of the box and took a long and well held in shat upon my person.

There is a reason I read the new stuff, so others don't have to if it turns out to be shit.
>>
>Vin's brother dies offscreen
That's really disappointing, I was hoping for them to be reunited.
>>
File: mb01_symbols-webres.jpg (66KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
mb01_symbols-webres.jpg
66KB, 750x500px
that feel when you'll never be able to write prose like Attanasio
>>
File: 9781101910092.jpg (347KB, 920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
9781101910092.jpg
347KB, 920x1200px
What do you think of this?
>>
>>8339372

VanDerMeer knows his shit, I read Finch and really liked it.
>>
>>8338915
>selective and the other by one person
Selected sci-fi and selected fantasy were made by two different people.
>>
>>8339642
They weren't, it was the same person, who didn't read most of the fantasy so it's hence pretty bad. Pretty sure I know who made it too.
>>
File: Snapchat-6672193903316882451.jpg (136KB, 757x1136px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-6672193903316882451.jpg
136KB, 757x1136px
I just finished pic related and it really made me think. What about you guys?
>>
>>8339655
They were made by different people. I know, because I made the selected sci-fi chart. I tried my hand at a selected fantasy as well, but it wasn't very good and was never added to the OP (and is not what is linked in the OP now).
>>
>>8339669
Didn't you make this one bbrown?
>>
>>8339681
Did you mean to post an image?
>>
>>8339681
>have a goodreads account but people will never know who i am from my chart
Feels good
>>
>>8339705
This one as the one in the op
>>8339707
They will, Rooster, the biggest pleb I have on gr
>>
>>8339812
>This one as the one in the op
No, didn't make any of the fantasy charts in the OP. Just the selected science fiction chart.
>>
>>8339707
>>8339812
>>8339826
post accounts senpaitachi
>>
>>8339854
I just said it's good that no one will know, why the fuck would I post it? Do you think i am low IQ anon?
>>
>>8339864
Did you make the modern fantasy chart? If so, yes.
>>8339854
Nah, I'll see you in a gr thread.
>>
>>8339864
>Do you think i am low IQ anon?
yes

and what's the worst that's gonna happen, two people call you shit taste and forget about it the next day, come on f.a.m.
>>
So, i just finished Hyperion.

>it took me until the fucking end to realize that it's a retelling of The Wizard of Oz

Then again, i never watched or read the original story, so maybe that's why i didn't made the connection sooner. Everybody singing at the epilogue was kind of bizarre, actually, given how they viewed each throughout the journey. Also, Lamia a shit.

Pls tell me that Fall of Hyperion delivers after all the hype that this builded.
>>
>>8339869
>thinks I'm a Klapistani who is easily pressured
kek

>>8339868
>Did you make the modern fantasy chart? If so, yes.
Why yes I did, but I am not the low IQ anon.
>>
I want to give The Dresden Files a shot, despite the fact that I am not a big fan of modern day setting in novels with supernatural aspects.

What I want to ask is - can I skip books 1 and 2?
Most reviews say that the series gets good at book 4, and book 2 is the low point and apparently the long plot arc of the series starts in book 3. I am just not sure that i can last through 2 mediocre books waiting for the writing to get better.

So which option is less likely going to cause me to drop the series?

>1. Missing important background info from books 1 & 2.

>2. Me giving up before I reach writing representative of the quality of the series.
>>
>>8340172
slog through it. If you make it through book 3 you get addicted
>>
>>8338333
>Black Sun Rising

I read this a while back and thought it was pretty good, certainly better than Pern as far as "fantasy world is actually space colonists who got fucked up" stories go.
>>
>>8340172
As I recall, Butcher suggests that new readers skip 1 and 2 and start with 3.

If you really want to read them, I'd suggest just picking a weekend and reading through them really quick with a bottle of wiskey to dull the pain.
>>
>>8340172
Why not just read something that's good from the start? That's a bad series.
>>
>>8340283
>Butcher suggests

Are you serious?
Well if the actual author suggests it, that is good enough of an answer for me.
>>
>>8340301
It's not bad, just not really good either. What it is, though, is damn good and pulpy fun. The latter books get crazy in scope and power creep, while maintaining a balance of forces. One thing that he's done really well.

It's fun. Don't you like fun, anon?
>>
>>8340313
It's not really fun. The protag is a literal fedora personality, and the "plot" is pretty mindless as well.
>>
>>8340301
Please sir, give us examples of this "good".
>>
File: Tarnsman_of_gor.jpg (49KB, 307x518px) Image search: [Google]
Tarnsman_of_gor.jpg
49KB, 307x518px
Can someone recommend me something feel-good and fun? As in with fanservice, wind-up and pay-off revenge plots, the hero mistreated just for him to end-up in a position of power over their tormentors, haughty bitches changing their minds and pining over the hero once he succeeds, that kind of stuff. But written by someone who doesn't use pulpy themes as an excuse to write dumbed down crap.

Now, I don't mean comedy exactly as that tends to take the hero down a peg whenever he's flying high and is frankly too politically correct for proper fanservice most of the time. I would prefer bildungsroman elements with the guy starting off as an underdog (which is hard to find in these kind of things). I consider Gor, Richard Blade and John Carter of Mars good examples of series that's simple and fun without being dumb or trashy (well Richard Blade straddles that line if I'm perfectly honest).
>>
>>8340324
I bet you believe harry actually wears a fedora in the books because it's on the cover.
>>
File: CW02p66XIAEVQUz.png-large.png (1MB, 1024x1018px) Image search: [Google]
CW02p66XIAEVQUz.png-large.png
1MB, 1024x1018px
>>8340577

Show me where it says he isn't wearing a fedora.
>>
>>8340635
If you actually read the books you would know that Harry doesn't wear hates and that he actually hates hats(butcher put that in because the publisher continuously puts a fedora on Dresden's head). He just wears the trench coat, and staff, not the hat.
>>
File: BomberHarris.jpg (234KB, 646x882px) Image search: [Google]
BomberHarris.jpg
234KB, 646x882px
>>8340172
I cannot take anybody with the name "Harry Dresden" seriously.
>>
File: tmp_1827-1469842087758441223051.jpg (392KB, 820x819px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_1827-1469842087758441223051.jpg
392KB, 820x819px
>>8340517
Sleeping Giants is a good, fun read.

>>8339876
Fall of Hyperion lacks polish and doesn't flow. Mind you, Hyperion was Very Good.
>>
>>8340739
>i did not have sexual relations with that woman
>>
>>8339658
Great stuff. Ender's a cuck, Miro is moe. Piggy genocide best day of my life, for Quim and Christ.
>>
>>8340517
Ship Breaker, Paolo Bacigalupi. Starts out as a preachy climate change dystopia and turns into a pirate story.
>>
Are there any sci-fi stories from before the 70s that describe what are essentially video games?
>>
>>8340676
It's pretty embarassing to have somebody come up and ask if you know about the Dresden Files because you're wearing a oilskin duster because it's raining.

#notallcowboys #notyournerdculture
>>
File: JohnCarterMars01.jpg (174KB, 500x641px) Image search: [Google]
JohnCarterMars01.jpg
174KB, 500x641px
>>8340739
Uuh... did you read my post? That book sounds OK, but you can hardly go any further from the type of books I was asking for without going away from the adventure genre. Basically, I want to read about a kid adventure, grow muscles, see boobs, develop skills and achieve success by carving himself out a kingdom or achieving legendary hero status. (Possibly space) Conan, but less classy, with a less reserved hero and more feedback/reaction from the world at large on his adventures.
>>
>>8340727

My mind boggles at Copperfield
Did he really think that would help his readers to immerse in the story?
>>
>>8340676

I meant it in a mocking / tongue in cheek way.
As my picture might hint at.
>>
>>8340877
He's got "Blackstone" in there somewhere too, hasn't he?
>>
>>8339707
That means you should read more stuff that isn't super popular. In genre fiction even more so than elsewhere, popular =/= good.
>>
Any fantasy books with super purple prose -- convoluted sentence structure, arcane diction, or just otherwise mechanically difficult to read, and not because of some basic incompetence?
>>
>>8341044
Clark Ashton Smith and Jack Vance
>>
Hey /sffg/ can you help me sort out my gods to create some level of symmetry between their purposes

>Pigeon god of electromagnetism, air and ¿law?
>Cat god of strong force, fire, ¿creation? and ¿contradiction?
>... Dog god of the nuclear force, fire, and ¿destruction?
>Rat god of the weak force, earth, ¿death? and ¿change?
>Twin Aligator/Snake gods of gravity/dark energy, water, space/time, ¿knowledge? and ¿beginning and endings?

This doesn't seem unified enough at all
I want
>>
File: Promise_of_Blood_book_cover.jpg (42KB, 272x426px) Image search: [Google]
Promise_of_Blood_book_cover.jpg
42KB, 272x426px
So what does /sffg/ think of the Powder Mage series, personally I though it was around a 7/10.
I liked the characterization and the presentation a lot, but the story felt a little weak at times and the world building oscillated between anime-tier and legitimately interesting.
>>
>>8341220
>the world building oscillated between anime-tier and legitimately interesting.

Wasn't the writer one of Sanderson's students?
>>
>>8341225
I think so, but I haven't read any Sanderson so I can't really compare them
>>
>>8341220
I agree pretty much 100% with what you said

Also the ending was rushed as fuck.

That said Ka-poel is a grade A waifu
>>
Any decent survival novels?
>>
>>8340877
>>8341007

Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. His dad was a crappy stage magician, so he named him after men he admired. He also probably knew his son was going to be a wizard but I don't think that's ever explicitly stated

>>8340172
Just read it. It's fun, and as butcher got better at writing you realize why noir fantasy novels are called "Dresden Clones."

The earlier books are a bit clumsy, but by book 4 or so you start getting to the point where it's written naturally and comfortably enough that you can completely embrace the stupidest events without even stopping to think about them.

Even though everyone says book 2 is the worst of the series, I honestly think it's where you should start. There is a certain character who only makes minor appearances in like three of the books, but he just does not belong in the series and he appears in books 1 and 4. You need to be able to trust the storytelling before you even read his name or you'll just put it down and miss out on what is actually a pretty good series
>>
File: ArthurHarris.jpg (54KB, 498x498px) Image search: [Google]
ArthurHarris.jpg
54KB, 498x498px
>>8341455
>Harry
>Dresden
>>
can i get some motivation to finish Name of the Wind? The book is just so fucking slow and honestly quite dull, i've only got about maybe 120 pages left but it just flows awfully

is it just me?
>>
>>8341462
The name is kind of meaningful when you think about it. The fires caused by the Dresden bombing killed hundreds of thousands. Meanwhile, a fire Harry started in the third book ended up causing an international war that ended with an entire race being annihilated
>>
>>8341484
Don't worry, the second book is much, much worse.
>>
>>8341504
What did you think of the first one?

I enjoyed Kvothe's time as a beggar and when he first got the university and got in trouble lots. I'm where him and the girl are chasing a dragon and looking for clues - feels like this has gone on for about 60 pages with nothing of substance coming out.
>>
>>8341499
>killed hundreds of thousands

t. David Irving
>>
>>8341508
>where him and the girl are chasing a dragon and looking for clues
That was fucking horrible.
Rothfuss has no imagination either. I do like the bit about Naming. it's a shame someone more talented didn't take it up.
>>
>>8341508
It's been a while but I don't remember hating it too much, was alright for what it was. Second one was pure trash though.

And no it's not just you, he's probably the single most hated author in this general by a wide margin, I'm probably in the minority that I even somewhat enjoyed the first one.
>>
>>8341423
The third Old Man's War book by John Scalzi has a group of colonists get dumped on a planet without any advanced technology for reasons.

Deepsix by Jack McDevitt is about some biologists who get stranded on a planet that's about to fall into a gas giant. (The rest of the series is good too if you want to read about scientists and explorers in space)

Expendable by James Alan Gardner is about a redshirt getting stranded on The Planet Of No Return. It's kinda cheesy but is okay IMO.

Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy.

Ben Bova's Grand Tour series has survival elements in some of the books because space is unforgiving yo. Mars for example has the first humans on the planet get stricken by a mysterious illness.

The Martian.
>>
>>8341517
>>8341518
Ah alright, good to know I'm not the only one who thought that way. I wonder if it felt dragged because he wrote the entire story throughout 7 years then just chopped it up and sold the books separately according to some interview

Looks like I'm sticking to the rec charts for awhile
>>
>>8340283
>As I recall, Butcher suggests that new readers skip 1 and 2 and start with 3.
Sauce?
>>
>>8338626
No shit.

>>8341127
The fuck are you even asking here?

>>8341044
First chapter of The Voice of the Fire.
>>
>>8341348
>Also the ending was rushed as fuck.
Absolutely, that whole storyline at the end just came out of nowhere. The magic chef dude was kind of teeing it up, but it was still out of left field, especially with the random third god just appearing. It felt like the writer had a vague idea of how he wanted things to go, but then completely changed directions during the actual writing, leaving the series with three tangentially connected stories that didn't really have a solid throughline.
>>
>>8341659
There was no build up to it, no foreshadowing other than, woah this guy is ominous what's going on who is he.

Then it's Gods just duking it out in the middle of the city. I think it was an interesting end to the story, if it had been better executed.
>>
>>8341667
Pretty much, it felt like it was leading into some sort of examination of the role religion plays in monarchies and all that good literary fantasy shit, but it was presented in such an anime way. Now there's a god for each kingdom that represents their essential attributes as a state and they're fighting it out like the book has turned into fucking Pacific Rim or some shit.
That sort of society based writing was really strong in the series, but it never really amounted to anything
>>
>>8341624
I'm asking what I can do to make these gods seem more like they're following some kind of theme when it comes to what they're the gods of, (e.g. creation+destruction+transformation+stasis)
>>
>>8339658
If you want more space pigs read Absolution Ark
>>
>>8341704
Ahhh I mean Redemption Ark
>>
File: blade.jpg (25KB, 292x475px) Image search: [Google]
blade.jpg
25KB, 292x475px
>>8340807
OK, my concerns in order: "young adult" is usually code for "for the simple minded", "adults are evil idiots" and "teens, especially girls, are smart and lucky bordering on a leprechaun genius"; the description mentions a post-apocalyptic world, a dead mother and a druggy father doesn't exactly sound like fun. Can you mention some of the good elements to hook me or disarm my concerns?
>>
>>8341682
It felt like he realized, oh shit I'm at 400 pages and I'm not anywhere near the ending. Then just burned through any hint of subtlety on his way to the ending.

What a shame, since I enjoyed the setting. Hopefully Shadow Campaigns doesn't let me down too
>>
>>8341709
Clipper ships pulled by high-altitude kite sails chasing each other across the melted Arctic Ocean shooting missiles at each other, and the kid that started the book a poor mistreated kid that almost drowns in oil gets to do a boarding action with his dog-man bro so they can rescue his Indian corporate princess girlfriend.
>>
>>8341709
Sounds like you never read Heinlein's juveniles.
>>
>>8341720
I have a special relationship with Heinlein's work. I've read some of his later works as a kid, and that turned me off of his stuff for quite some time. I eventually read his earlier stuff and liked it OK, but overall I'm not a big fan, his stuff reads more like thriller than like adventure, if anything, it's reminiscent of modern sci-fi which I dislike as a whole. So I guess he really was ahead of his time.
>>
>>8339658
>"Hugo Winner" and "Nebula Winner" both inside stars of David.
>>
I have like 50 pages left in Rise of Empire by Michael J. Sullivan.

Can someone sum up the politics of this book? I'm so fucking confused by the entire plot of The Emerald Storm, so many places/names/affiliations and random shit like that. I think it doesn't help that I've been reading this part of the book on and off for a couple months because I've been busy with school.

What is Merrick's grand master plan? What the fuck is going on with the goblin people?
>>
>>8341718
Looked into it, not really what I'm looking for. I basically want adventure sci-fi/fantasy that borders on a men's adventure novel, but won't melt my brain with sheer stupidity and incompetent writing those things are full of. As I mentioned, Richard Blade is something that crosses this boarder, but I got a nostalgic soft spot for the series, so I'll accept anything similar. Come on, someone here has to be into the same high quality trash I'm into.
>>
are there any good books that are super introspective? like, one dude out in the wilderness by himself, struggling against nature and himself and maybe all kinds of crazy weird visions that are relevant to his own life in some way?
>>
File: 91IqmRTbVYL.jpg (527KB, 1257x2104px) Image search: [Google]
91IqmRTbVYL.jpg
527KB, 1257x2104px
>>8341829
>>
>>8341811

The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie

maybe
>>
>>8341834

Second
>>
>>8341880
Come on, how is that trash? That's probably the most high-quality fantasy action-adventure to come out in recent years.
>>
>>8341902
>Come on, how is that trash?
Awful characters, incredibly shitty prose, slow and boring plbot, lack of imagination, it's generic as fuck, it relies on pointless gimicks that everyone has been doing since tolkien (le deconstruction of fantasy) and he isn't even good at it, it's long but lacks content to support its length.
It's awful at just about every elemet it has, except Glokta being mildly amusing.
If that's the most quality action fantasy to come in the past few years, it's even more awful than I assumed.
>>
>>8341902

I missed the last part, just the parts with the party adventuring seem like something that was wanted in the post.
>>
>>8341811
Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser is an incredibly obvous pick, it's great prose, great characters, great adventures, it's a collection of smaller stories so it never becomes a drawn out dreary fantasy series filled with drivel like First Law or Name of The Wind or something like that.
The characters stay interesting because they are older in each collection, they are 60 or something by the last one and it's a nice element to it.
>>
>>8338132
I'm looking for something readily available to read to 14 year olds, that I can also enjoy. What I can read is limited as the children come from strict christian families.

But I have the go ahead to include something along the lines of harry potter.

I was leaning towards either a Gaiman book like American Gods or Neverwhere.

What do you reckon?

Or maybe The Stand?
>>
>>8341946
Sanderson
>>
>>8341946
Wait what you can read is limited, but you are considering a book that has a scene where two muslims suck each others dicks and fiery jin semen comes out and tastes like flame and Harry Potter, a book that's by many Christians seen as occult?
And both are also pretty shit.
Have yout eally not considered C. S. Lewis and Tolkien (The Hobbit only, the rest isn't for children)?
>>
>>8341956
CS Lewis is a good suggestion, but they're doing it in a different class and I want to give them a book they can read/listen to for enjoyment and not for any sort of analysis.

Same with The Hobbit :)
>>
>>8341949
Yeah maybe, I like wheel of time (and I don't fancy a reread just yet which is why I am avoiding choosing it).

Any book in particular besides Wheel of Time?
>>
>>8341963
Stormlight Archive
Emperor's Soul
>>
>>8341965
>Emperor's Soul
Sounds good. I'll do some research and then pick it up :)
>>
>>8341946
Nation by Terry Pratchett
>>
>>8341965
Assuming it's supposed to be educational, this can serve as an example of why you should rewrite your sentences and connect them into a cohesive whole, instead of having your rough first draft.
>>
>>8341969
?
>>
>>8341970
It's hard to find an author who is as bad as Sanderson at everything which doesn't include autistic world building.
>>
>>8341969
>Assuming it's supposed to be educational, this can serve as an example of why you should rewrite your sentences and connect them into a cohesive whole, instead of having your rough first draft.

It's just supposed to get some of the kids into reading by just reading something fun for the sake of it, instead of for an english class :)
>>
>>8341972
I don't really care for world building, his plots are fun.
>>
>>8341917
I think you might have some personal gripe with the series. It's not the best of the genre, really lacking in interesting places, not all of the characters are very interesting and the overall plot turns out to be them helping one bitter old mage shift the balance of power a little against another bitter old mage instead of something substantial. But the Logen-based action was great. And it does have a certain gritty realistic quality that lets you suspend your disbelief quite easily and emerge yourself into the book.

The guys new Half a X trilogy I liked a lot less.
>>
>>8341940
Thanks for the suggestion, definitely something I'll check out eventually, but not what I was looking for at the moment.
>>
>>8341946
>The Stand
I can't believe some people still don't realize just what caliber of hack garbage King's works are. The best you can say about them is that they make OK movies.

>Harry Potter
That includes the protagonist using sorcery. Which is the same caliber of sin as eating shellfish or engaging in homosexuality. Go with a low magic setting where all the mages are villains.
>>
>>8342039
>But the Logen-based action was great.
Action in novels is for the most part dull, this is no exception. It's nice here and there, but as I had little connection to anything as it was dull and shitty, it lacked any emotional impact.
And it's extremely unimmersive, as he doesn't have god damn descriptions to create an atmosphere, you rarely have an idea where the characters are. It's written for people who grew up on movies and video games, it expects you to place his books in Game of Thrones aesthetic or something similar.
>>
>>8342062
Stephen King writes in an engaging fashion, which is why he is popular. The opening 'chase' at the start of The Dark Tower is well done.
>>
File: tips.jpg (13KB, 160x259px) Image search: [Google]
tips.jpg
13KB, 160x259px
>>8342062

>That includes the protagonist using sorcery. Which is the same caliber of sin as eating shellfish or engaging in homosexuality.
>>
File: WoR_endpaper-2.jpg (549KB, 2048x1547px) Image search: [Google]
WoR_endpaper-2.jpg
549KB, 2048x1547px
What are some hard sci-fi stories that involve traveling through space at very high speeds? FTL or relatively is fine.
>>
How do you write an adolescent male character?
>>
>>8342174
The fourth Mistborn trilogy
>>
>>8342314
dude hormones lmao
>>
>>8342174
dude shadesmar travel lmao
>>
>>8342314
Have him act like and think like a total pig. That what boys really are
>>
>>8341613
Not him but the first book (audiobook version) had Jim himself reading the introduction. He said most people said books 1-3 were bad(not his words) and it picks up at book 3-4. That was years ago can't remember if he recommended skipping and coming back when you were hooked.
>>
>>8341963
Elantris is perfectly good for a young person
Mistborn is maybe not I think. I read the first book. Lots of murder and some torture and threats of rape. Even though ultimately the story is about hope and love and good against evil (ie. not nihilistic) the fact that Brandon is okay with the good guys killing lots and lots of people, many just working class mooks trying to get by, is a little odd. And the way the good guys often use their powers to basically hypnotize masses of people to follow them makes things feel a little too morally questionable for a kid.
>>
>>8342314
There's this great line in Hesse's Demian that basically says, if you're the sort of person who doesn't believe a ten year old can have these sorts of complex thoughts, then this story is not for you.

I like that way of thinking about it, except with a fifteen year old. Age makes everything less mysterious and less intense, and so it jades us rather than making us more complex thinkers (not that being jaded can't be its own kind of complexity, but you see what I mean). A teenage boy is just a man with the cynic's goggles taken off.

Also, I tend to go by the rule, the younger someone is, the more solipsistic and less capable of empathy they are.
>>
>>8342065
>I don't have a very good imagination

>>8342071
>refuting a fact with ad hominem
>>
>>8342314
You don't. Kids an adolescents are dull unlikable shits. You write small adults.
>>
Why are there so few books that go with the Cowboys in Space aesthetic? It's such a common theme on non-written sci-fi that I'm surprised it doesn't have all that much representation.
>>
>>8338251
Tiffany Aching
>>
>>8338251
I can't believe nobody has mentioned it yet, but the Deed of Paksenarion.
>>
>>8341946
Here are a few suggestions.

Diana Wynne Jones (peruse her entire bibliography)
Dark Lord of Derkholm
Howl's Moving Castle
Archer's Goon

Patricia C. Wrede
The Enchanted Forest Chronicles

Robert A. Heinlein (his novels for children)
Red Planet
Citizen of the Galaxy

Carey Rockwell
Tom Corbett, Space Cadet
>>
>>8342798
I would guess its because wild west works best as a visual aesthetic, and describing people in leather dusters and cowboy hats IN SPAAAACE is a little goofy in prose.
>>
File: cowboy-bebop.jpg (357KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
cowboy-bebop.jpg
357KB, 1024x768px
>>8342839
Leather Dusters and Cowboy hats aren't even that common honestly. For example, Cowboy Bebop.
Firefly had some, but, well it was trying very very hard.
>>
I'm liking the Liveship Traders Saga so far. Then again, I like the Rain Wild Chronicles, which shares a similar setting
>>
>>8341946
>>8341967
>>8342838
These are good, I'd add The Last Unicorn and maybe some Redwall.
>>
>>8342575
The fact that Abercrombie is an author who couldn't exist 50 years ago speaks in my favour. The reason older texts generally, even when they were bad, had given a lot more attention to descriptions is exactly because it wasn't a video game generation.
It has nothing to do with my imagination, my video games gave me some kind of an image, but no thanks to the author.
>>
is Dune the pinnacle of science fiction?
>>
>>8341667
>>8341682
>>8341714
I think he needed to extend the series to one more book to wrap things up.
>>
How's Robots and Empire? Currently reading The Silmarillion in physical(plus some others physicals in backlog), and the RaE audiobook has pretty damn shitty quality, so i can't really go through it now. Also, i never really liked Gladia, so i was wondering if i could just go through the wikipedia plot synopsis and get done with it.
>>
>>8341946
Bakker
>>
>>8343265
Pretty damn close
>>
File: 1399655738897.gif (2MB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
1399655738897.gif
2MB, 300x168px
>>8343265
>>8343883
>>
We felt pretty dead today

Fucking normies going out on a sunday
>>
How's the dark tower series for a fantasy aficionado? I've read a lot of fantasy from old stuff to YA / urban fantasy, Sanderson, SF.
I've had a false start with the Dark Tower series like a year ago or so, almost finished the first book but never really went further than that,

Should I bother with the series AT ALL? It seemed interesting at first but idk, the kid stuff annoyed me and I dropped it. I kinda wanna start again but I don't want to invest too much into something I'll come to hate.
>>
>>8344147
Haven't read it, but i heard it's decent until the sixth book, and then goes downhill.
>>
>>8344147
Bad first book, then a few good books, and then a meh ending.

Read at least Salem's Lot beforehand, which is a decent book
>>
File: TheNameoftheWind_cover.jpg (10KB, 183x275px) Image search: [Google]
TheNameoftheWind_cover.jpg
10KB, 183x275px
>So they hated me, and it shone in their eyes when Denna wasn’t looking. I would offer to buy another round of drinks, but he would insist, and I would graciously accept, and thank him, and smile.
>I have known her longer, my smile said. True, you have been inside the circle of her arms, tasted the wetness between her legs, felt the soft warmth of her bosom, and that is something I have never had. But there is a part of her that is only for me. You cannot touch it, no matter how hard you might try. And after she has left you I will still be here, making her laugh. My light shining in her. I will still be here long after she has forgotten your name.
>There were more than a few. She went through them like a pen through wet paper. She left them, disappointed. Or, frustrated, they abandoned her, leaving her heartsore, moved to sadness but never as far as tears.

Jesus why did guys recommend this to me
>>
File: 1464868499831.png (395KB, 825x1585px) Image search: [Google]
1464868499831.png
395KB, 825x1585px
>>8344294
No one did.
>>
>>8344146
stop complaining and go read a book faggot
>>
>>8344301
>look ma, I cherry picked a single bad review!
>>
>>8344294
Is that a character admitting that he would be there for emotional support of a certain female, even when she fucks everyone but him?

Or maybe the prose confuses me and i'm not getting it.
>>
>>8344294

I can practically smell the neckbeard sweat from this prose.
>>
>>8344294
>n high-school Pat was something of a class clown. His hobbies included reading a novel or two a day and giving relationship advice to all of his female friends despite the fact that he had never so much as kissed a girl. He also role-played and wrote terrible stories about elves. He was pretty much a geek.

>For the next seven years Pat studied anthropology, philosophy, eastern religions, history, alchemy, parapsychology, literature, and writing. He studied six different martial arts, practiced improv comedy, learned how to pick locks, and became a skilled lover of women.

>Now Pat teaches half-time at his old school as an assistant-sub-lecturer. He is underpaid but generally left alone to do as he sees fit with his classes. He is advisor for the college feminists, the fencing club, and, oddly enough, a sorority. He still roll-plays occasionally, but now he does it in an extremely sophisticated, debonair way.

We tried to warn you about Neckbeard Rothfuss. Why didn't you listen?
>>
>>8344491
>>8344395
seems like a decent beard though
>>
>>8344491
Who can trust anyone here? Rothfuss is as much of an offender as authors commonly liked here.
>>
>>8344520
At least he's not as bad as Wolfe.
>>
>>8344527

Weak b8, apply yourself.
>>
File: IMG_271405762236038.jpg (41KB, 880x667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_271405762236038.jpg
41KB, 880x667px
>>8344527
>>
>>8344520
hmmm....nope!
>>
>>8344582
>hmmm
hello réddit

>...
hello again réddit

>!
hello once more réddit
>>
File: 1381365565347.gif (99KB, 350x300px) Image search: [Google]
1381365565347.gif
99KB, 350x300px
>>8344491
>His hobbies included reading a novel or two a day and giving relationship advice to all of his female friends despite the fact that he had never so much as kissed a girl.

>tfw this is basically me, except i'm the college equivalent to a class president instead of the clown
>>
>>8344617
>i'm the college equivalent to a class president instead of the clown
the fact that you think class president has any actual meaning should make it obvious that you are in fact the class clown
moron
>>
>>8344648
It has burocratic meaning, the clown post is reserved for the people who're in charge of making everyone laugh you dunce.
>>
>>8342174
Please respond.
>>
>>8344600
Hello there 4chan
>>
>>8338735
Popular with young audiences. The authors you mentioned aren't read by many sub 30 year olds
>>
What are some novels that deal with nanotech and similar stuff?
>>
>>8344617
How does it feel to be a cuck?
>>
>>8344527
Perhaps I had some presentiment of this anon being a faggot.
>>
>>8344988

How can his gf have cheated on him if he never had a gf?
>>
>>8344294
Kvothe is willing to raise a woman's son?
>>
File: short peace helmet.webm (609KB, 1244x700px) Image search: [Google]
short peace helmet.webm
609KB, 1244x700px
>>8344491
>and became a skilled lover of women.
>>
>>8345238
it's heavily implied that Bast is denna's rape baby and the father is ambrose
>>
>>8345259
Learning how to pick locks was a prerequisite skill for that
>>
File: 9781101082287_p0_v4_s1200x630.jpg (47KB, 410x630px) Image search: [Google]
9781101082287_p0_v4_s1200x630.jpg
47KB, 410x630px
>>8344491
>[Alice] was cripplingly shy, to the point where there wasn’t much point in trying to talk to her...he felt almost protective of her. The one and only time he saw Alice look genuinely happy was when he watched her, alone and momentarily unself-conscious, successfully skip a pebble across the pool in a fountain and between the legs of a stone nymph.

a few hundred pages later

>When he was almost at the top of the stairs, he stopped. Quentin would have known it anywhere, the sound that Alice made when she was having sex. Now here was a conundrum for his drunken mind to reflect on: she was making it now, but it wasn’t Quentin who was making her make it. He could not be hearing that sound. It came in through his ears and made spots appear in his vision. His blood fizzed like a science experiment and turned to acid. The acid propagated through his body and made his arms and legs and brain burn.

goddamn /lit/, recommend some books with romance but no cuckoldry please
>>
>>8345300
Do they have to be good books? Because it gets a lot harder if the answer is yes
>>
>>8345300
Okay, try the Prince of Nothing. There's lots of lovey dovey consensual cuddling and DEFINITELY no cuckolding.
>>
File: Hyperion_cover.jpg (56KB, 230x400px) Image search: [Google]
Hyperion_cover.jpg
56KB, 230x400px
>>8345300
>The old man now held the infant in his arms—his daughter Rachel, no more than a few weeks old...
>“Daddy?”
>He sat up, reached for her hand. “Here, kiddo.”
>“Where am I, Dad? What’s happened?”
>“You’re in a hospital on Renaissance, baby. There was an accident on Hyperion. You’re all right now except it’s affecting your memory a bit.

later, right in front of the father

>She rolled above him then, her thighs astride his hips, her gaze still locked with his. Kassad had never been so excited. He gasped as her right hand went behind her, found him, guided him into her. When he opened his eyes again she was moving slowly, her head back, eyes closed. Kassad’s hands moved up her sides to cup her perfect breasts. Nipples hardened against his palms.

IM FUCKING DONE
>>
File: a-wizard-of-earthsea-cover.jpg (28KB, 294x439px) Image search: [Google]
a-wizard-of-earthsea-cover.jpg
28KB, 294x439px
So what's with the dialogue in this book? Everybody sounds exactly the same, speaking in an overly stiff and formal voice. It doesn't help that the protagonist rarely speaks
>>
>>8345320
I know you're joking, but i actually fell for it for a second.
>>
File: 1458244576662.gif (2MB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
1458244576662.gif
2MB, 260x260px
>He glanced at the old, adulterate witch, wanting to want to have her killed. But for as long as he could remember, she had been the totem, the sacred fetish that held the mad machinery of power in place. The old, insatiable Empress alone was indispensable. Those times, in his youth, when she had awakened him in the heart of night, stroking his cock, tormenting him with pleasure, cooing into his tongue-wet ear: “Emperor Xerius . . . Can you feel it, my lovely, godlike son?”
>She had been so beautiful then. It had been across her hand that he’d first come, and she’d taken his seed and bid him taste it. “The future,” she had said, “tastes of salt . . . And it stings, Xerius, my lovely child . . . ” That warm laugh that had wrapped cold marble with comfort. “Taste how it stings . ."

More like this pls
>>
>>8345411
Incestuos /ss/ is hard to find senpai
>>
>>8345266
What..... when did it say that.. is denna fae?
>>
>>8345433
did you read all of the spin off books? She's a fae who is enslaved by the chandrian to seduce powerful men, and in doing so allow the chandrian to take over their bodies and assume their form
>>
>>8344940
Bv Larson, Neal Asher
Enjoy, welcome to the club.
>>
>>8344940
Diamond Age, Neal Stephenson
You'll hate it. Now please leave
>>
>>8345443
>spin off books
You mean fan fiction?
>>
>>8345342
It's written in the voice of a storyteller recounting an ancient story that's the common property of the presumed audience, which is why they casually refer to events in the far future of the narrative as if everyone knows about them. If you think of it as an old Bible story the tone makes a lot more sense.
>>
I'm writing a book about a being that doesn't age and is doomed to wander a world he's stranded upon until they're capable of interstellar travel.

I can't think of a name for the book, the best thing I've come up with is: 'Mark, Perennial'

But I'm not very confident about it. Any suggestions?
>>
>>8345295
I genuinely laughed.
>>
What do you guys think of the Rama series? I read all four books a few summers ago and I rather enjoyed it to be honest. Not great but definitely /comfy/
>>
>>8338969
That's the only reason I'm still on the hook for the next novel. I found everything relating to Denna and his relationships tedious, but I want more info about the setting and the key events of the story.
>>
>>8341946
>reading to 14 year olds
Are these special needs kids or what? Nobody read to me after the 3rd grade or so. By that point you were expected to be reading your own books.

And really I can't expect any of them will really be interested, so just pick stuff you want to read.
>>
>>8344301
I was promised that people on /lit/ didn't take this embarrassing "review" seriously. Yet apparently people do. Why am I wasting my time on this board?
>>
>>8345792
The Boat of a Million Years
>>
>>8345792
Based on the jewish wandering man?

Also, did you post the plot for your book here years ago? Tnink I saw it already desu.
>>
>>8345995
I don't think so, I've only started talking about in these past few months. Also, while I think similarities will definitely be made to biblical lore, I've kept the connections very loose.

>>8345982
Interesting, but it's not quite what I had in mind. I thought another called, 'All Under Him' but it seems too Lordly.
>>
File: 1.jpg (195KB, 1041x1357px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
195KB, 1041x1357px
>>8344301
>wordpress blog of a fucking weeb who reads visual "novels" and enjoys Sword Arts Online

kill yourself
>>
>>8346039
It was a joke https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boat_of_a_Million_Years

Curse of Amber
Time Enough
Dawn Never Comes
Waits the Dawn
Doldrums of Space
Today, Like Yesterday
The Long View
The Short Eternity
Stranded, Enlightened, Alone
The Loneliest Voyage
Voyage of Eternity
Endless Voyage
Companion to the Stars
>>
>>8346051
Exactly the type of person who'd I'd expect to like his shit too.
>>
>>8346109

why are you still here

>>>reddit.com/r/anime
>>
>>8346109
Most of the people I see hating Rothfuss's work are pretentious cocksuckers exactly like that guy. But that goes for 90% of people who "critique" fantasy novels. I don't think I've ever actually seen a fantasy review that wasn't written by a pseud. Probably because I only ever see them posted on /lit/, which is pseud: the board.
>>
>>8346051
>enjoys sao
>doesn't enjoy kingkiller
>takes self seriously enough to write blog posts about it

I didn't think such mythical beast could exist.
>>
>>8346122
Rothfuss is a hack, and you should take a serious look at yourself if you feel otherwise
>>
>>8345295
I assume he's making a veiled allusion to fingerbanging
>>
>>8341946
>American Gods
Dont, theres gay genie sex and a man that gets eaten by a vagina
>>
I stopped reading fantasy years ago after finally getting sick of being recommended crap by everyone. Half the stories boiled down to the villains just being evil for the sake of being evil or because their evil god was evil for no reason. Shit's stupid.

What are some fantasy stories where the villains and antagonists have actual interesting motivations beyond "just because".
>>
>>8346182
I am somehow unconvinced by your post. Perhaps I am unique for not finding compelling your vague appeal to popular wisdom? I'm sure it works on most of the people here though. I'm more of a "arguments backed up by examples from the text" sort of person though. If you're feeling lazy though I might be in the mood to buy a plausible explanation for your opinion as long as it isn't rooted in yet another fallacy.
>>
>>8346336
Do you have any examples of what you've read? Cause that will determine if you're actually jaded or just stupid.
>>
>>8346336
>evil for no reason

If it isn't spontaneous evil it's going to be "muh revenge"

More realistic, but not necessarily even that much better desu famuel
>>
>>8346369
That and world domination, especially anything featuring some sort of empire.
>>
>>8346336
Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny
Vurt by Jeff Noon
>>
>>8346352
Ok, how about this.

Kvothe is a Gary Stu of the worst kind. Instantly skilled at almost everything he does, becomes a sex master as a 15 year old virgin as he fucks a literal sex goddess. He's Rothfuss blatant self insert, just like Denna is most likely Rothfuss's highschool crush who never gave him attention. He has abysmal pacing, the plot is bland, and his prose is poor.
>>
>>8346336
What are you even reading? Even anime hardly stoops that low these days.
>>
>>8345466
There was one spin off book about the autistic girl who lived in the university sewers, but yeah that anon is retarded.
>>
>sides with Elaida of all fucking people
>kills his own Warder teachers like a backstabbing cunt
>helps the Red and Black Ajah at Dumai's Wells
>doesn't go to Elayne when she needs help
>doesn't go to Egwene when she needs help despite proclaiming undying love to her
>but he does remain in the Black Ajah infested Tower
>also vows to kill the savior of the world for something he didn't even do

As of book 11 Gawyn Trakand is the worst shit to ever be born and I hope he fucking dies slowly and painfully.
>>
Has anyone read the Durdane book by Jack Vance? I picked it for 50c, planning on reading it later after I finish my study
>>
>>8346599
All I wanted was to replace all the children of light chapters with Matt chapters but no. Had to hear more about fucking Child Bornhald. Fuck it all. I did finish though. Don't even regret it
>>
>too many details is exposition and infodump
>too few details confuses the reader who is utterly incapable of putting pieces together
There's literally no way to win
>>
prince of nothing or broken empire? i went and accidentally read the 2 first stormlight novels and i need to wash away the taste with some grimdark.
>>
>>8346941
PoN. Everything by Lawrence is really bad.
>>
>>8344147
Pretty good. Drops off towards the end. First book is good btw, ignore the other anon. It's just written very differently to the rest of the series.
>>
>>8346936
There is a difference between giving information on a situation with prose, like you know descriptions of scenary and the suroundings and info dumping and exposition. Peake and Wolfe have a lot of the prior and almost none of the second.
>>
>>8346941
Bakker obvs
>>
>>8342174
Poul Anderson, Tau Zero.
>>
s

h

a

d

e

s

m

a

r
>>
>>8342314
I think of a woman; then I give her reason and accountability.
>>
>>8347211
>I think of a woman; then I give her reason and accountability.
>>
File: alloy_map_2_elendel_color-webres.jpg (526KB, 1589x1200px) Image search: [Google]
alloy_map_2_elendel_color-webres.jpg
526KB, 1589x1200px
>>8347154
Actually read that one already. Really fucking good.
>>
>>8342174
Almost in every Revelation Space novel of Alatair Reynolds something happens at relativistic speed.
>>
Why doesn't bakker physically describe characters?
>>
File: alloy_map_2_elendel_gray-webres.jpg (530KB, 1589x1200px) Image search: [Google]
alloy_map_2_elendel_gray-webres.jpg
530KB, 1589x1200px
>>8347431
Read those too. Redemption Ark a best.
>>
>>8347443
Much like adverbs or dialogue actions, it's something people get autistic about
>>
Can anyone recommend background music to read over while reading Emperor's Soul to 14 year olds?

Something to help draw them in. Like a biosphere background kind of thing
>>
Whiskeyjack :((((((
>>
>3 months until Blood Mirror

And then another year or two for the final book...
>>
>>8347443
He does, its just not frontloaded into one huge description, more peppered around
>>
>>8344294
>>author uses unnecessary adverbs
>I had to [actually] call out bullshit on the narrator [obviously] being delusional
Kettle, meet pot.

>dropped it halfway trough
I see he takes reviewing seriously.
>>
>>8345172
Cuck is now used as a blanket insult for doing something either to one's own detriment or without realistically expecting gain. Spending time on a girl who doesn't find you sexually attractive rather than spending it on remedying one's own lack of QT GF qualifies as such.
>>
>>8345342
>>8345626
Why not go with the more simple explanation of the author being a hack who can only make the characters speak and sound like him or herself?
>>
How long should the average chapter be in an epic fantasy you think?
>>
>>8347656
As long as it needs to.
>>
>>8347662
That's not what an editor would say desu
>>
File: Autism Chart.jpg (123KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Autism Chart.jpg
123KB, 640x640px
>>8347541
Are you reading to potato kids? Why the fuck do you have to have background music?

I'm 90% sure that those recommendations were for a bunch of count to potato, fetal alcohol syndrome, shit flinging, I'm speswual kiddies.

Select all for pic related.
>>
File: 1468995488296.webm (257KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1468995488296.webm
257KB, 640x360px
>>8347551
It was to be a trilogy, then blood mirror was to be the final.... NOW YOU TELLING ME 5? WHAT NEXT? 6 YEARS?
>>
>>8347407

DAE scared by the 3rd mistborn trilogy people will have loads of facts about Vin, Elend and the gang wrong?
>>
>>8347377
>not recognizing a reversal of a movie quote and reacting to it in the most faggoty way possible
lel, lad.
>>
>>8347443
He can't write for shit in general?
>>
>>8347559
Which is correct. I absolutely hate it when a character is described like it's a line out of a police profile. It's the people who are bothered by not knowing how exactly a character looks who have something wrong with them. I enjoy making a character image in my head depending on his mannerisms and actions and then modifying it as I get more details.
>>
>>8347754
Name a better post 2000 writer
>>
>>8347720

>DAE

Jesus christ why are you bringing this reddit trash here?
>>
>>8347770
John C Wright, Robert Bolano, Gene Wolfe, Michael Swanwick, China Melville, Ligotti, Martin.
On the other hand I read relatively few post 2000 works in general.
Alongside that being mediocre in a sea of shit is completely irrelevant to his lack of skill and talent.
>>
>>8347788
"No"
>>
>>8347788
>Ligotti
>sff

>Orphans of Chaos
>good

>Martin
>Melville
>better

Oh my fucking sides. Opinion utterly discarded.
>>
>>8347815

>Gary Stu protagonist, shit tier prose, philosophic jargon and grimdark edgy violence

Bakkerfags are fucking delusional and wouldn't know good sff if it walked up to them and fucked their gf, which they'd actually enjoy since they all seem to be cuckold fetishists.
>>
>>8347831
>I never read Bakker
>>
>literally the exact same guy bashing Bakker, First Law and other new stuff every single day
>people still fall into arguments with him
>>
>>8347839

>man spreads ass cheeks on your plate

>"How do you know it's shit if you haven't tasted it yet?? "

Every Bakker excerpt posted here has been absolutely laughable.
>>
>>8347831
>Kellhus
>has 4 or 5 PoV chapters in the entire PoN series.
>the protagonist

Talking out of your ass
>>
>>8347815
None of these are necessary even good (certainly not Orphans of Chaos, which no one here has read and since Wright wrote Golden Age, a really solid space opera), Martin and Melville are mediocre at best, Bolano too did not write sff.
The question was who is better than Bakker in the 2000s. The answer is those authors.
Why? Simply because Bakker sets a very low bar, if not anything else.
>>8347842
Right now there are two of us, here and now.
First Law is by any standard complete garbage too, it's devoid of any kind of quality.
>>
>>8347850
He is the protagonist since he drives the story (going by the actual definition of protag, not 'the hero')

the "MC" is definitely Achamian though
>>
>>8347855
Except Bakker is better than those.
>>
>>8347861
He's far worse in just about every area, be it his laughable prose, his generic ideas, his trash tier philosophy for plebs who never tried any actual philosophy, his inhuman or simply just badly written characters.
>>
>>8347855
Bakker is better than or equal to GRRM, havent read Melville's Bas-Lag stuff, only some short stories which were pretty solid

Everyone is better than Abercrombie except maybe Scott Lynch
>>
>>8347866
Yeah you haven't read him.
>>
Which SFF writer is the absolute best at characterization?
>>
>>8338333
>His Dark Materials
according to rumors the Book of Dust would be published this year. Still waiting.
>>
>>8347883
Gene Wolfe and Peake.
>>
>>8347873

>you either like Bakker of you haven't read him

Spoken like a rabid fanboy
>>
Bakker is just GRRM for pretentious hipsters who would like asoiaf if only if was more obscure

t b h
>>
>>8347815
Ligotti's borderline sff, enough that his first published story was in The Magazine of SF & F

>>8347883
Peter S. Beagle, especially early on. The man made me feel for a goddamn talking raven.
>>
>>8347883
Bakker
>>
>>8347961
Tell me about Beagle. He was never mentioned here.
>>
>>8347923

Only an uncultured swine who hasn't read him could say he's bad
>>
>tfw I can tell when prose is "good" (Wolfe, Peake, Tolkien) but not when its supposedly "bad" (Sanderson, Orwell, GRRM)

How do I tell? Maybe it's because English is my second language but they all seem fine to me
>>
>>8348039
Calling something terrible on this website usually means "It wasn't great," and the actually quality of it varies.
>>
>>8348039
Well here's your issue, you think those three are good when in fact they're all about the same. Some people just like flowery language more and thus rank those higher, but they aren't really "better".
>>
>>8348039
You pick the one you like and insist it has better prose than the ones you dont
>>
File: 1469082549601.png (23KB, 638x405px) Image search: [Google]
1469082549601.png
23KB, 638x405px
>Vin casually murders a dog
What a bitch!!
>>
>>8348005
He's all about low-key character stories and nice (but not overblown) prose, almost the polar opposite of someone like GRRM or Bakker. The raven's from A Fine and Private Place, which is literally just five characters in a graveyard talking about stuff, but it works.
>>
>>8348088
Sounds reminiscent of Beckett. Please, shill more in the upcoming threads.
>>
File: long live the new flesh.jpg (34KB, 640x396px) Image search: [Google]
long live the new flesh.jpg
34KB, 640x396px
>thread dead while the Bakkerfriends are attending their middle school classes

It's over, they have won. I'll start reading today to fit in with the new order.
>>
>>8348702
>tfw no nonman bf to crush your skull when he starts to forget you
>>
>>8348702
>thread talks about a popular series that had a new book recently released

Wow color me shocked
>>
>>8348799

>The autists weren't spamming that shit daily for months before it was even released
>>
>>8348910
>daily

1 post per thread is hardly spamming
>>
New

>>8349013
>>8349013
>>8349013
>>
>>8347713
You won't be there, so I'm pretty sure that leaves no count to potato, fetal alcohol syndrome, shit flinging, I'm speswual kiddies.
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.