[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /lit/'s judgement of Gore Vidal? Which of his work,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

What is /lit/'s judgement of Gore Vidal?

Which of his work, if any, is worth reading?
>>
This board is for literature, not genre fiction
>>
>>8336083
He wrote non-fiction too
>>
>>8335822
I don't know about the amorphous collective that is 4chan, but as an individual I can comfortably say that he's one of my personal favourites. I'd first start with his very good historical fiction, or if you don't want to go through all of them, stick with his classics of the genre: Lincoln, Burr and Julian.The rest aren't as worthwhile, in my opinion, but still highly interesting. Next, go on to his brilliant novella Myra Breckinridge, and don't be scared by talk of Hollywood's abysmal adaptation. After you're done with that, I'd recommend moving onto his greatest work, namely his huge collection of essay called "United States," which is basically his very personal look at America, and its place in the world over thirty four years (1958-1992).

I don't know if this helps, but I think its important to point out that he was indeed an important writer, who will definitely stand the test of time, and that it's ridiculous that so many people on this board turn their nose up at him because they've only heard of his historical fiction.
>>
A fun personality but only ok as a writer.
>>
>>8335822
>>8337533

oh boy let's talk about my guy Gore Vidal for a minute here. he's a smart dude. he's witty and intelligent and, of course, an absolute asshole. guy loved to be on TV and TV loved him because he would agree to any show and was well-spoken, composed, and was great to have as a guest. but he's great to read too. what i've read from him hasn't really stuck me as dry, it's just well-written and still holds up.

i'd recommend The City and the Pillar, it's a good novel to start out to get a feel for his writing style. i liked it a lot. if you're gay it's neat to see a depiction of homosexuality in the late 40's.

i read a book about his sex life (lol!) called In Bed With Gore Vidal. kinda sloppy in how it was put together and had a bunch of typos but some funny take-aways: fucked Jack Kerouac; at a party, told Tennesse Williams to stop checking out JFK's ass because 'he's going to be our next president.'
>>
>>8336156
That's what I was referring to
>>
>>8335822
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYymnxoQnf8
>>
>>8335822
Myra Breckinridge and Myron were fun.

Can't be fucked reading any of his big please-take-me-seriously tomes though.
>>
His Narratives of Empire series, specifically Burr and Lincoln. Also a collection of his insults would certainly be worth reading.
>>
>>8335822
I've been to his house in Rapallo...it was beautiful but the pizza was shit.
>>
Myra Breckinridge is a phenomenally good and incredibly funny book and his essays are also very good, although next to his liberalism he maintained a deep seated contrarianism, the kind of which would have him make asides like (in reaction to a female commentator describing gays as unusually hairless, wondering, perhaps, if it was to do with hormones) 'Here Decter betrays her essential modesty and lack of experience. In the no doubt privileged environment of her Midwestern youth, she could not have seen very many gentile males without their clothes on. Is she had, she would have discovered that gentile men tend to be less hairy than Jews except, of course, when they are not. Because the Jews killed our Lord, they are forever marked with hair on their shoulders--something that no gentile man has on his shoulders except for John Travolta and a handful of other Italian-American from the Englewood, New Jersey, area.'
However this is actually rather fun so long as you don't intend to be offended and his essays are insightful.
>>
>>8337731
>that magnificent shit-eating grin.
>>
>>8335822
Funny seeing this here. I just finished watching the documentary about his debates with William F. Buckley Jr.

I've only read Myra Breckenridge and various essays, but it was all worth reading.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.