[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Got this today for cheap, pretty good and fun so far. It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 51LHsifQumL.jpg (51KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
51LHsifQumL.jpg
51KB, 333x500px
Got this today for cheap, pretty good and fun so far. It's like a dry, minimal blaxploitation novel. Other books by him worth reading?
>>
>>8335319
>>8335319
Absolutely, all of his Coffin Ed and Gravedigger books are awesome.

If you haven't already, you might try some Mickey Spillane. Not black, but the over-the-top violence and pacing of his books remind me of Himes.

None of the hard-boiled writers could write about violence as well as Himes though.

One of my favorite authors in James Crumley (who I would also recommend if you haven't read his books). Whenever there is a violent scene in one of his novels it feels like he is trying to channel Himes.
>>
>>8336132
Thanks for the recs mate, much appreciated. I'm enjoying All Shot Up a lot, so I'll try and get a hold of his other stuff.

Have you read Derek Raymond, by the way? Not exactly hard-boiled, but his portrayal of violence is incredible
>>
>>8336482
I don't think I've ever heard of him before, but He Died with His Eyes Open does sound familiar. Seems interesting, I'm definitely going to check him out-- Thanks
>>
I hate Himes, but I always loved that the French people who bought his pulps thought he was describing NY as it really was.
>>
>>8335319
I found Himes okay, but nothing special. I read a few by him, but didn't feel compelled to complete the whole series.

If you're looking to read more in the genre, Chandler and Hammett should be your next reads - their books have been the inspiration and model for most of the American mystery fiction that followed.

I second the James Crumley recommendation >>8336132, but I'd stress that his earlier (pre-90s) books are far better. I'd rank Spillane well below both Crumley and Himes. Fun reads, but instantly forgettable.

Others to try:
- Ross Macdonald. He started out as a Chandler imitator (many did) but then grew into his own style.
- Charles Willeford. Wrote paperback originals in the 50s, 60s and 70s, then the Hoke Moseley books (Miami Blues etc) in the 80s.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.