[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think there is a certain intellectual cowardice about the refusal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (48KB, 433x471px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 433x471px
I think there is a certain intellectual cowardice about the refusal to read contemporary literature. Those who exclusively read the classics only concern themselves with questions of understanding.

>what does this mean?
>how does this relate to that?
>what was the author trying to say?

That is all well and good but when it comes to how you personally experience the work, the classics reader defers to the test of time. He doesn't ask himself if he thinks the novel is good, he doesn't ask himself if he thinks the prose is well written, he may not even ask himself if he likes it, because he decided the answer to all those questions before he opened the book.

When you read recent publications, there is no authoritative voice to guarantee the value of what you're reading, and so it requires a far greater degree of introspection. If we read to learn more about ourselves then you do yourself a great disservice by ignoring contemporary literature.
>>
You should really read whatever seems interesting to yourself. If that's fucking Harry Potter or Infinite Jest, does it really matter?
>>
>>8334479
You could also just read lesser known / lesser recognized older novels though.
>>
>>8334479

faggot
>>
>>8334479
Very good point, I agree.
>>
>>8334479
>He doesn't ask himself if he thinks the novel is good, he doesn't ask himself if he thinks the prose is well written
your dumb
>>
Quote dostojevski, "op"=sellout
>>
>>8334479

>contemporary
>"literature"
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.