[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright, so I'm a stupid cunt that followed his dreams,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (297KB, 962x1376px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
297KB, 962x1376px
Alright, so I'm a stupid cunt that followed his dreams, went to a Liberal Arts Uni, and, instead of taking the regular state required intro math courses that would have salvaged my quanitative abilities from the dust of my shitty public high school education, I got to take a bullshit Liberal Arts approach to math that left me with little to no practical quantitative reasoning skills. And now I have to take the GRE. Do any of you faggots have any recommendations for books (whether non-fiction, practice books, workbooks, etc.) to help me re-learn essentially all of mathematics (aside from the absolute rudimentary stuff) through a high school level?

Obviously an Amerifag here. For overseas folks, the standard American public math education ends at Trig and Calculus, so I need to relearn Algebra, Arithmetic concepts, Geometry, and Data Analysis.

Thanks anons.
>>
I had a similar situation. Took the GRE in my mid-twenties (last year). Had to cram a lifetime of math knowledge in about two weeks. Scored 154~ on the quantitative section, which is at least average-y for libarts fags. Ended up getting into my dream school, but my other scores were way, way better. YMMV.

Background: I never went to high school, so I basically had zero math education past the fifth grade, where I was fumbling with fractions like a dipshit. The one advantage I had was that when I was about 18, I had to do a similar math-cramming marathon to get my GED. At that time, I just sat down and went through an entire 1970s high school math textbook that took me up to precalc and then some. And I did the 500-page clunker GED prep book. Took a few weeks and it was horrible, but I scored high on the (piss-easy) GED math section at least. Then promptly forgot absolutely everything. When I got to the GRE, I had to do the whole process over again. Another marathon, using a similar comprehensive textbook and similar GRE prep book cover to cover.

The test itself: I thought I bombed, and was crossing my fingers or 145-150, but ended up being pleasantly surprised. That said, I guessed on so many questions. I felt really shitty after I took it. You can get some easy ones by drilling your geometrical formulae, but at a certain point I just felt like it was expecting me to know rules I had no knowledge of, even after all my cramming.

You're better off asking /sci/. But there are a lot of retards there who will just say "use khan academy" and leave it at that. Try to dig for fleshed-out answers.

Also, use the GRE software, which gives you free practice tests. Use libgen to get the GRE prep books, and read all their tips - especially the ones on essay-writing. And start reading the essay prompts, which are posted online, and practicing writing one or two a day within the standard time limit.

Seriously, the best fucking advice I can give you, after having taken the test: The time limit is totally retarded. You think 30 minutes is enough time to storyboard an answer on your scrap paper, write it, then review it, but it's not. You'll squander half that time, then be scrambling to get anything onto the screen. Review is extremely unlikely unless you're some kind of god. I type like 160-170WPM and I'm good at spitballing, so I didn't need to storyboard it, and I still felt like I was scrambling and sweating to get fully nuanced, polished answers out. You'll want to have your brain used to the bullshit of this process WELL before you take your real shot at it.

Don't read the practice prompt, go think about it quietly and calmy for 20 minutes, and then try writing it for 30 minutes. It's going to be more like
>UHHH UHH OKAY FUCK UHHH JEREMY WANTS TO OPEN A HAT STORE BUT HE HATES HATS.. UH.. THIS IS A STUPID PROMPT WHAT THE FUCK DO I DO OH GOD I'M NOT GETTING INTO HARVARD OH GOD
>>
>>8332739
Today anon was cool. Thanks anon.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.