[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

my grandma was an english major and she has a huge collection

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 5 one hundred years of solitude.jpg (366KB, 828x1224px) Image search: [Google]
5 one hundred years of solitude.jpg
366KB, 828x1224px
my grandma was an english major and she has a huge collection of books. she's getting old now, so every time my sister and i visit, she encourages us to take any books from her collection that we want. last time i went, this one caught my eye because i remembered hearing that it was a classic and that it's really trippy (plus that gorgeous cover art). i asked her if she liked it, but she said that she wasn't able to get through the first couple of chapters. i decided to grab it anyways because why not. i'm not very experienced with literature so i feel like it would kind of be jumping into the deep end, but at the same time, i'm tempted to just try it. what are your thoughts on it? should i give it a shot?

tldr: pls discuss this book with a noob
>>
>>8332009
it's not very difficult, really. it's a bit of a classic for a lot of people. I'd say you just jump into it, it's actually fairly quickly engaging, and fairly funny. really, just read it and enjoy.
>>
It's very accessible. You'll enjoy it if you go with the flow. You'll get confused with names and relations but it isn't particularly important, what happens is usually more important than who it happens to.
>>
This is my favorite book ever, and you should definitely read it.

Check the front and back of the book for a family tree so you can refer back to it as you read. If there is none, find one online and keep it handy. Other than that, you should be able to jump right in.

Enjoy!
>>
>>8332023
>>8332032
>>8332040
awesome, thanks for the encouragement guys. ill give it a try as soon as i finish up with the book im reading right now.

also, my copy does have a family tree on the first page. i'll be sure to familiarize myself with it. are the relationships convoluted?
>>
It's fucking great. The only problem is there are four generations of people with the same name. Your first time reading it just let it wash over you like a bedtime story.
>>
>>8332088
>there are four generations of people with the same name
oh lol i guess you just answered my question here>>8332087

i'll still definitely try to make sense of it though
>>
>>8332009
I don't know about the translation, but as a native Spanish speaker who read it in Spanish, it's pretty though.

I tried to read it once and again for... something between 5 and 10 years, and I couldn't finish it 'til I was like 18 or 20 (I started trying at like 10-12).

Once you manage to delve into it though, it's quite a trip, and it deserves all the appreciation it gets.
>>
>>8332121
It's really not confusing. If you end up liking it you should check out Borges as well.
>>
>>8332009
>what are your thoughts on it? should i give it a shot?
there's a live thread on /lit/ right now about the best opening lines, the one from this book has been posted multiple times, and in both English and Spanish.
>>
>>8332009
only read the first 30 or so pages before I stgarted with the Greeks. One of the few books which instantly grabbed my interest and imagination. Guess that's all I can say about the book.
>>
>>8332132
this is making me wish i had taken more than 2 years of spanish in high school. pretty much anything that i learned is now completely forgotten. hopefully the english translation is good too
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.