[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me, /lit/. I've always had difficulty to appreciate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1464653926001.jpg (80KB, 766x960px) Image search: [Google]
1464653926001.jpg
80KB, 766x960px
Help me, /lit/.

I've always had difficulty to appreciate the beauty of style, of prose itself without its meanings and images - cadence, rhythm, and the other mystical elements that make Nabokov's and Joyce's writing so pleasurable to you. I easily get the meaning, I can appreciate the images, if I am in the "imagining" mindset, but the rest just seems beyond my reach, even if I discard meaning completely and focus entirely on it.

Is there still hope? Is aesthetic appreciation innate or must it be developped?

In the later case, how do you read, /lit/? Explain it to me as if I had no clue how to read.

Picture hopefully not related.
>>
if you lose hope merely because reality disappoints you, then you never had hope, just optimistic expectations
>>
who is the guy in this pic
>>
>>8331259
I just had the optimistic assumption that I could learn to appreciate the beauty of style, but I am starting to doubt that.
>>
>>8332206
I didn't read your post I was just responding to the image
>>
>>8330915
hate to break it to you bro. you're a pleb.
>>
its not that big of a deal. you'd be surprised how many faggots use "muh prose style" to defend a shitty story

Literally no different than deviantart anime faggots scrambling to defend their nonsense in the face of skilled artists
>>
I'm still curious:

Have your appreciation of great style grown as you read more, or has it essentially remained the same? Are you moved by what you once thought was pointless and boring?
>>
File: bump.jpg (88KB, 800x584px) Image search: [Google]
bump.jpg
88KB, 800x584px
plz
>>
>>8333349
I dont recall seeing any work as pointless or boring, if anything some works were just challenging to be due to my own reading level at the time, but once I broke past that barrier its all good.

Also, just read closely, very closely. Dont worry about subvocalizing, just reed and feel it out.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.