[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a plebeian who has neglected books for too long and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 3622922_orig.jpg?409.jpg (181KB, 1100x756px) Image search: [Google]
3622922_orig.jpg?409.jpg
181KB, 1100x756px
I'm a plebeian who has neglected books for too long and wants to start reading frequently. I already have plenty of the classics and usual recommendations ready to go but was wondering if it's advised to begin with more entry level, easily digestible material and if so, which ones are recommended?

I don't want to jump too deep into the patrician end and find myself deterred or simply failing to understand much of the work. Is this even a thing that happens to prospective readers or should I just shut up and pick up whatever takes my fancy?
>>
File: ptbarnumandbailey.jpg (418KB, 747x1417px) Image search: [Google]
ptbarnumandbailey.jpg
418KB, 747x1417px
Yes, Yes, Yes.
>>
Just start reading anything reasonably important that also catches your eye, so that it's easy to get through and then you feel like you're making progress once you do

Seriously, just pick anything that sounds neat and isn't ultra-high concept, but is also famous enough to make you feel like "yeah I'm doing this!" when you're done. Try some 19th century realism or naturalism. Try Stendhal or Dickens
>>
Okay, thanks. I have every book in the image above and a fair amount of Dickens' work too, so I'll start there.
>>
>>8330229
Please stop fucking posting this.

>>8330225
Start with the Greeks. Any other answer is simply wrong.
>>
>>8330229
literally summer reading. I read every one in highschool 15 years ago.

>>8330225
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_Classics

Good place to start. If you are really young though read what you like. I only got into the Greeks and Romans reading quotes from Rome Total War loading screens.
>>
>>8330225
You can do what >>8330708 said, also look up Le Monde's 100 books of the century https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Monde%27s_100_Books_of_the_Century
Just pick whatever book catches your eye, build up that reading stamina, and when you feel ready tackle heavier books. Just try to not read garbage
>>
http://www.bookspot.com/listmodern100.htm

Modern Library Editors list.
>>
>>8330708
>15 years ago
Sup gramps
>>
>>8330719
>ranked by a French
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.