[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /lit/ I'm an English teacher living in China. I lecture

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 000037.jpg (2MB, 3496x2385px) Image search: [Google]
000037.jpg
2MB, 3496x2385px
Sup /lit/
I'm an English teacher living in China. I lecture 16-24 year old brats part-time at a local school. Company selected the subject of 'literature' for my class tomorrow.
Although I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to talk about, I'm curious as to what /lit/ might suggest and I'm willing to implement it in my presentation tomorrow.
Basically we have a group of about 20 Chinese college students, with zero knowledge of occidental literary tradition. Most of them are brainwashed into thinking Chinese culture is best culture. In 120 minutes, I would like to give them some understanding of basic literary terminology in English, show them an approximation of the history of the western canon, and maybe even inspire them to broaden their horizons in said topic.
First time in a long time I'm genuinely excited for my class. How do we do it /lit/?

pic related: it's where I live
>>
>>8326690
Find stories hat reflect Eastern Archetypes and build from there.
>>
start with the greeks desu
>>
>>8327583
>English Language class.
>Start with a translation.
>>
Ignore all the bad ideas in this thread.

The correct answer is to talk about traditional (folk) tales from China, and from the West.

A good starting point is the "boy who cried wolf" because every culture in the world has a functionally identical story (in SouthEast Asia it's a tiger; in West africa it's Lions, in China it'll be something - all the same story about not telling lies)

From there go on to Aesop and Grimm.

Then point out the ways that Chinese traditional stories have shaped contemporary Chinese literature, and how Western folk tales have shaped the western literary tradition.

This may take more than the time you have to plan if you're not clued up on your fairy tales, or Chinese fairy tales though.
>>
>>8327705
>Ignore all the bad ideas in this thread.
There have only been two ideas stated in this thread besides yours, and only one of them was bad.
>>
>>8327705
>Start with the boy who cried wolf.
>From there go on to Aesop.
Boy who cried wolf is by Aesop you fucking idiot.

Still, starting from folk tales isn't that bad of an idea. You should probably also include some parts of the Bible, though. Especially seeing as it is literally the most influential of them all. I would recommend just covering the first eleven chapters of Genesis, and some of the Gospels. Especially considering that those are the only parts any Western kid knows anyway (except the general overview of the story of Moses).
>>
File: 52a.png (8KB, 230x230px) Image search: [Google]
52a.png
8KB, 230x230px
>>8327810
I'm including the ideas presented after mine

(I was also partly writing for effect.)
>>
>>8327825
I am a spider. This is true. I am not untrusworthy. If I was then I wouldn't tell you that I was a spider.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.