[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Damn. I'm 200 pages into this and I haven't been this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (43KB, 411x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 411x600px
Damn. I'm 200 pages into this and I haven't been this impressed with a book since GR. Vollmann's prose is amazing. Unlike his other work I've read (which I've tally enjoyed) this book so far has been extremely consistent, quality wise.
>>
Really*, not tally. I'm on mobile and have big thumbs.
>>
Haha that sounds so gay. Tally ho my good man
>>
>>8325328
Ironically the 18th century was a far more heterosexual time period than nowadays.

The kind of men to whom that phrase would be current would likely think you a bit of a soft-handed arse bandit yourself; you wot couldn't slay a vole with a hatpin.
>>
friendly reminder that vollmann is a crossdresser

http://observer.com/2013/10/do-ya-think-im-sexy-william-t-vollmann-dresses-in-drag-finds-his-feminist-side/
>>
I'm interested in this guy. Are his books historical fiction? Where to start?
>>
>>8325574
that's gloria, not william
>>
>>8325598
Dolores
>>
>>8325574
I don't give a shit. He's not hurting anyone.
>>8325588
Either historical fiction (painstakingly researched) or fiction about whores and homeless people (also painstakingly researched, though not from books but from real life). I haven't read it but I've heard Rainbow Stories is a good start. I started with Thirteen Stories and a Thirteen Epitaphs. Loved it, but was inconsistent. However, the high points of the book were fucking phenomenal. The opening story is one of my favorite short stories I've read. His prose is poetic and unconventional; don't expect run of the mill paragraph and sentence structure.
Europe Central might be a good place to start, too. New York Times Book Review calls it his "most welcoming" and I would agree due to just how consistently great it is.
You might also try The Ice-Shirt. Book one in the Seven Dreams series, it's young Vollmann and can sometimes be a bit boring, but the majority of it is spectacular.
Oh, and he's weird.
>>
>>8325739
>ice shirt
>young vollmann
You're surprisingly just as stupid as stupid as your first line made you seem. Excellent.
>>
>>8325076
What is it about?
seems interesant
>>
>>8325743
Ice Shirt was published in 1990 and his first novel was published in 87...?
>>8325786
So far it's a collection of connected stories about German and Russian citizens during WWII. Mostly artists living under authoritarianism. I'm in the middle of a very lengthy story about Dimitri Dimitriyevich Shostakovich, a Russian musician and composer who faced serious scrutiny under Stalin.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.