[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm hoping to diversify my reading list, and I'm looking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 9

File: African-American Author.png (160KB, 300x361px) Image search: [Google]
African-American Author.png
160KB, 300x361px
I'm hoping to diversify my reading list, and I'm looking for some good contemporary novels written by African-American men. Can I get some suggestions?
>>
A Brief History of Seven Killings
Pimp
>>
Pimp: The Story of my Life by Iceberg Slim
>>
Ooga Booga Nahahahaua' by Kimba Numba Tumba
>>
Between the World and Me
>>
>>8324265
>A Brief History of Seven Killings
this
>>
File: Brah fist.jpg (47KB, 586x560px) Image search: [Google]
Brah fist.jpg
47KB, 586x560px
...coupling unification...

Read something by Jim Gates ?

Gates Appeared on the 2011 Isaac Asimov Memorial Debate

Gates received his B.A. and Ph.D. at MIT
>>
>>8324242
Assuming this isnt bait, why would you do this? Racial "diversity" is literally meaningless and prejudiced based on the fact you think a skin color presupposses a diversity of experience and ideas.
>>
File: multi-adinkras.jpg (267KB, 483x463px) Image search: [Google]
multi-adinkras.jpg
267KB, 483x463px
>>8324291

String People: Jim Gates

http://www.superstringtheory.com/people/jgates.html
>>
File: LoveAndHappiness.jpg (96KB, 370x123px) Image search: [Google]
LoveAndHappiness.jpg
96KB, 370x123px
>>8324306
>String People: Jim Gates

What picture/s/ do your threads paint?

Awesome Thread painting..you will love it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAuisFJ6sBk
>>
File: Do you internet.jpg (57KB, 467x423px) Image search: [Google]
Do you internet.jpg
57KB, 467x423px
>>8324331

We live in a mediacentric society filled with many affective sign systems

positive emotions, such as love and appreciation, in generating coherence both in the heart field and in social fields

Human beings have evolved to convey meaningful information through storytelling

Transmediation can refer to the process of "responding to cultural texts in a range of sign systems -- art, movement, sculpture, dance, music, and so on -- as well as in words."
>>
File: Transcend with Metaxy.png (18KB, 400x362px) Image search: [Google]
Transcend with Metaxy.png
18KB, 400x362px
Are your ratio's are golden ?
>>
File: Are you a memeologist.jpg (61KB, 1347x758px) Image search: [Google]
Are you a memeologist.jpg
61KB, 1347x758px
Memes, Matter Creation, Exclusive things ?

Sippin' On Sunshine ?

https://youtu.be/iGMV2rRrH1E
>>
File: Eric Jerome Dickey Novels.png (241KB, 461x983px) Image search: [Google]
Eric Jerome Dickey Novels.png
241KB, 461x983px
>>
The Sellout by Paul Beatty
>>
Nathaniel Mackey if you like jazz
>>
File: Toni-Morrison.jpg (31KB, 300x187px) Image search: [Google]
Toni-Morrison.jpg
31KB, 300x187px
Jazz if you like Nathaniel Mackey
>>
Dreamer by Charles Johnson Is a pretty interesting take on the doppleganger genre, following the story of an at times nihilistic lookalike of MLK Jr. Used by the latter's campaign as a stunt double, if you will.

Philadelphia Fire is about how the firebombing of a cult headquarters in a row house affects the community surrounding it.

It's by John Edgar Wideman
>>
>>8324272
>>8324284
These

>>8324298
I agree with this in the sense that you shouldn't "diversify" your reading with the intention that you're going to get THE "black perspective" from black authors, but it's great to be curious about potential differences of perspective influenced by race and seek to include in your collection of good books some good books by authors with very different backgrounds from yourself. I understand frustration with college kids who are up their own ass because they read a couple books written by minorities, but if you think this basic encouragement to have a well rounded base of knowledge is SJWism your mind has been polluted by altright garbage.

Recs:
>Invisible Man
Novel about universal struggles for identity, the struggle to be seen as and to live as an individual, fighting against your own nostalgias for group belonging and an outside insistence on where you fit into society.
>Their Eyes Were Watching God
Novel with beautiful prose set entirely within deep south all black communities, a young woman being passed around from man to man, in its time was criticized for being too critical of black culture, though the author refused to apologize for what she insisted was not a demonization but an honest and well rounded portrayal of real people.
>I Wonder As I Wonder
Autobiography of Langston Hughes, as he travels the world to Haiti, the Soviet Union, Japan, and the Spanish Civil War. Includes his disillusionment with the USSR, his unique status as a black man representing the US abroad in the 30s, among many other social observations. Also includes many encounters and adventures with other writers, including an anecdote with Hemingway in wartime Madrid.

Hope this helped
>>
Not contemporary, but read Black Jacobins anyway.
>>
>>8325361
except wanting to diversify by reading black authors or whatever means there is something diverse intrinsic to the skin color. you're assuming a black author has diverse ideas/experiences due to their skin color, which is racist

Consider a black author that grew up in Vermont with a typical New England childhood versus a white author that grew up in Nepal. by your reasoning the black author is more diverse

Skin color should be completely 100% irrelevant and if you want to diversify your reading then look into the author's life instead of making a judgement based on skin color
>>
>>8325403

you should read james baldwin
>>
The Known World by Edward P Jones

It's about a black slave owner in Virginia. It starts off a bit slow, almost seeming like it's trying to hard to be historically accurate, but once it get's past that you'll find yourself super depressed in no time. It also won the Pulitzer Prize if that means anything to you.
>>
>>8325403
>you're assuming a black author has diverse ideas/experiences due to their skin color

Sure in a utopian world this mightn't be the case, but in our current world people ARE (or certainly have been in the near past) judged based solely on their skin colour. And thus their experiences will be coloured (no pun intended) by that fact.
>>
>>8325432
Shit I stupidly only read the first paragraph of your post before replying. Apologies, you're right.
>>
>>8324265
>A Brief History of Seven Killings
i'd agree with this, only Marlon James isn't african-american. he's jamaican.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.