[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much of a meme is 'School of Life'? In terms of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: photo.jpg (48KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
48KB, 900x900px
How much of a meme is 'School of Life'? In terms of presenting information in easy-to-digest flashy Youtube videos, do you think that it provides accurate general introductions to the ideas of various philosophers and political theorists? I've watched a few and found them quite interesting, but I'm always wary of colourful, casually-presented "info-tainment" as they tend to omit quite a lot of information as well as present one-sided, reductionist views of highly complex topics (e.g. John Green's Crash Course History).
>>
>>8323352
Let me save you 300 replies and condense it:

>cuck
>SJW
>cultural Marxism
>Jews
>shill
>redpill
>>
It's super garbage. Makes skimming a Wikipedia article look scholarly.

Every idea is thoroughly neutered, misinterpreted and made agreeable to the format.

For the love of God avoid at all costs
>>
>>8323463
what's a better alternative in your opinion?
>>
>>8323352
It's literally propaganda. Instead of elbowing you to stand straight up and pretend to be a normal person, School of Life does the exact opposite. It literally virtue signal you to become a degenerate, otherwise you're afraid of embracing your assumed "deep dark desires". One of the videos literally said "even good men are bad" and the good men they're describing are low-test betas who are afraid of getting in the way of women. Just another Yt channel that teaches you to disrespect yourself
>>
>>8323500
If you want a pod cast " the partially examined life" does a genuine, and good 'first look' at many popular philosophers.

It's shorter and digestable.
Usually around 50-90 minutes about what you need for the material.

And they follow some guidelines that make it easy for people learning: don't reference books/ideas from outside the topic etc.

For a beginner who wants to ensure with philosophy in a more casual way it's your best bet.

You can also check out history of philosophy podcast by BBC. And history of philosophy without any gaps for more tut tut presentation
>>
>>8323352
To be honest I think Alain de Botton is actually doing a good job introducing philosophies to normies in a "pop" way.

The point is that the audience itself has to improve themselves to get to know more the topics they are getting from the channel.

I think the main task of School of Life is that to make new audiences who aren't familiar with literature or philosophies see it rather actually engaging and useful because it's not seem that difficult (even though most of them actually are)
>>
Why not just read the work of the philosophers or essays about them?
>>
>>8323539
>>8323539
don't got time senpai
>>
>>8323553
Then just admit that you are a pseud instead of asking us to do your legwork in finding "pseud resources". Just accept that you're bound to be dumb for as long as you 'don't have time to read". Fucking hate your type of pretentious faggots
>>
>>8323553
http://plato.stanford.edu/ offers much better concise accounts of philosophers than any video on youtube does, and its better than wikipedias oversimplification and omission
>>
DYIONISIAN

C
U
T
I
E
>>
>>8323539
I hopefully will, but to a layperson like myself, the field of philosophy can seem awfully dense, particularly when I don't even know what philosophy really 'is'. Easily-accessible introductions, in my opinion, can be useful for at least giving beginners a way to enter the field, as long as it is understood that these introductions are just that.
>>
>>8323553
If you're not willing to invest the time and effort than you should not be expecting the outcome.

Might as well ask for a way to become good at football without playing it.

There are no shortcuts in life, lad.
>>
>>8323575
thats not a picture of a cat you lied
>>
>>8323553

You mean you have the time but just want to know the most superficial information to impress your friends.
>>
>>8323505
>le cultural marxism faec xD
>>
>>8323352
watch this course instead
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLS8vfA_ckeuYdl-scU11yb-GwmuGcomnS
>>
>>8323575
>>8323594
>>8323616
the salt is overwhelming friends
>>
>>8323687
huh? I couldn't give a rat's tossbag whether you watched School of Life videos or actually read the material.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.