[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what does /lit/ think about Ben Lerner? I've read Leaving

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (146KB, 1411x940px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
146KB, 1411x940px
what does /lit/ think about Ben Lerner?

I've read Leaving the Atocha Station and 10:04. they're both Novels With An Idea, which is difficult to carry off, but Lerner seems to be aware that he risks coming across as pretentious, and manages (mostly) not to by using narrators that are almost explicit self-inserts but not quite. and the ideas are kind of interesting, so I ended up liking both novels.
>>
File: ben lerner.gif (621KB, 440x247px) Image search: [Google]
ben lerner.gif
621KB, 440x247px
I've only read his poetry. It's okay.

Why is he so angry?
>>
>>8321673
Youre wasting your time, dude. /lit/ doesn't read anything that isn't canonized.
>>
Lerner is trash.
>>8321693
You're a fucking fruit dude.
>>
>>8321673
>>8321693
go to bed ben
>>
>>8321688
H'es not angry. He's just Jewish.
>>
He's pretty good and definitely better than pretty much all of the other anglophone literary celebs who appeared in the last decade or two
>>
>>8321728

>and definitely better than pretty much all of the other anglophone literary celebs who appeared in the last decade or two

that's really not saying much 2bh
>>
I really like him. Funny and engaging, only read his fiction not his poetry though. At times however 10:04 felt a bit too sincere, like look how cleverly I'm doing sincerity through all these thought puzzles, like actually it's still a bit bleeding heart liberal. 10:04 has one of my favourite pieces of comedic writing where he's pretending to understand spannish and nods along and laughs and begins to do this rote while actually drifting off, and then resurfaces to find everyone looking at him all pissed and then a girls says something in spannish and he nods and laughs and it turns out she's been talking about the death of her father.
>>
>>8321728
the only better one I can think of is Rachel Kushner, and I don't know if she counts as a literary celeb really. but The Flamethrowers got a lot of hype, and lives up to all of it.
>>
>>8321765
That's almost as funny as keep spelling Spanish with two n's so many times. Here's a tip you should have picked up from Ben, spell it with one n the second time, that way you can pass off the one you fuck up as a typo, since you're too lazy to look up the actual spelling or look at the red squiggle.
>>
>>8321706
Great shitpost
>>
>>8321716
Feygeles?
>>
>>8321765
That was in Atocha actually.
>>
>>8321840
Better than anything you'll write, Ben.
>>
>>8321673

I'm a big fan of his poetry debut, The Lichtenburg Figures. Its a book of experimental sonnets. When I first started studying/writing poetry, this is one of the first books I really picked a part. I've been meaning to read his other books of poetry, but haven't gotten to them quite yet.
>>
>>8321870
>le authors posting on /v/ meme

kill yourself asap
>>
>>8321886
I've read a couple of articles about his new Hatred of Poetry thing, and that sounds interesting. even more so if he actually writes good poetry.
>>
His writing and public appearances bore me so I haven't read the piece on hating poetry. It sounds boring, too.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.