[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>watching news >realize that the Greeks had basically said

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 03-01-59-Thucydides_pushkin02.jpg (849KB, 860x1283px) Image search: [Google]
03-01-59-Thucydides_pushkin02.jpg
849KB, 860x1283px
>watching news
>realize that the Greeks had basically said all there was to say, two and a half millennia ago
>watching some dipshit give a speech
>realize that he had been outdone by Pericles, two and a half millennia ago
Honestly why do these idiots even try so hard.
>>
>>8321600
Because the Greeks have been removed from most of Western education.
>>
File: 1280px-Paolo_Uccello_047.jpg (369KB, 1280x956px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Paolo_Uccello_047.jpg
369KB, 1280x956px
We live the same lives in different times, friendo.
>>
>>8321600
>arrogant because some random guy didn't give a speech as good as one of the most iconic pieces of rhetoric in all of western civilization

>>8321620
This is pretty much the entire point of reading the Greeks, Thucydides (and so Pericles' speech) especially. There is a certain constancy to human nature without which the study of history would be meaningless for giving us insights into the future.

>>8321609
Also this. Classical education is all but dead. Maybe it still exists in some high class and exclusive upbringings, but it's totally overshadowed by the masses of people going to university without even tasting classical education.
>>
>>8321609
yeah. went through high school honors english without reading the greeks. about to finish college without reading the greeks. still havent read the greeks for pleasure either.
>>
>This is pretty much the entire point of reading the Greeks, Thucydides (and so Pericles' speech) especially. There is a certain constancy to human nature without which the study of history would be meaningless for giving us insights into the future.
That's exactly it, and he himself recognised it.
Call it arrogant on my behalf, I claim there is a certain nihilistic sentiment behind it as well though. Either way, it's hard to help feeling disappointed by it all.

>>8321671
Do it, man. Thucydides is honestly a fucking treat to read.
>>
>>8321695
Meant to reply to >>8321665 for the first part
>>
>>8321600
>>8321609
Maybe they removed it intentionally to protect people from this feeling.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.