[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a 2:1 Crap to Classic reading ratio. For example, I read

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

I have a 2:1 Crap to Classic reading ratio. For example, I read 2 Stephen King to for every 1 Tolstoy. Does anyone else try to read stuff that challenges them but also allows themselves to read stuff that's really just fun?
>>
File: de9P_r2i.jpg (42KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
de9P_r2i.jpg
42KB, 512x512px
>the classics aren't fun
>>
>>8319847
you're just a pleb, the "good" literature is plenty "fun"
>>
>>8319847
Ye that's about what I do. There are definitely "fun" classics but desu most of them are really dull despite being obviously good
>>
Challenging /lit/erature is fun for me. I don't mind a simple mystery or sci-fi novel every once in a while, but too much of that and I start to get bored.

When it comes to relaxing "mindless" entertainment, I usually just watch tv shows.

Also, I just can't get through a Stephen King book. I know everyone always jumps on me and calls me a snob, but even when I try to relax I just can't enjoy his books. I don't find his books fun.
>>
>>8319856

I'll admit that I'm a pleb.I work in STEM and I don't have a English degree. I never said that classical literature isn't fun. However good liturature should change you a little and make you see things in a different light and that can leave me feeling exausted. A little pulp/pleb fiction helps to clear things out.
>>
>>8319898
being an engineer or scientist doesn't make you a pleb, your bad taste and qualifying attitude does.

that being said, there's nothing wrong with indulging yourself every so often. why do you feel the need to have the internet pat you on the back for it? do what makes you happy.
>>
>>8319915
Tell all of the engineers and scientists that I go to school or work with this. They always ask why I don't hang out with them, and the whole time I have to stifle the fact that I think they're all delusional, insincere, and stemfags in the truest sense of the word.
>>
I read a fair amount of sci-fi and occasionally other 'genre' fiction, but I typically don't find it any more or less fun/stimulating than 'proper' literature. It's all just lit to me.
>>
>>8319931
now you're projecting. sorry your cohorts are insufferable cunts, it's shitty when that happens.

i'm an engineer as well, in the paraphrased words of another far more talented physicist: our imagination doesn't stretch into the realm of fiction- to imagine what isn't there, but rather we use it to comprehend the things which "are" there.

maybe you should choose a different field, you don't seem happy
>>
>>8319866
Stephen King is only readable if you have next to no experience with anything that's actually well-written.
>>
>>8319852
Yea OP, just watch Decker in between classics.
>>
File: 1462837464030.jpg (137KB, 1024x494px)
1462837464030.jpg
137KB, 1024x494px
>>8319847
When I read I want it to be something good, always. I never read something I think is going to be crap.

If I want to indulge in something stupid then I'll just watch some tv or anime online. Although my tolerance for that stuff is short and I usually get bored kind of quick.
>>
>>8319898
>a English degree
I can tell.
>>
>>8319847
I don't go 2:1 but I rotate stuff so I don't get burned out. I might binge a fantasy series, but then be turned off by genre fiction and want to mellow in some Dostoevsky or something for a while. Eventually I'll have enough of Russian lit, maybe Sanderson has released something new, I'll read that, maybe I'll feel like another genre work. Or I'll read some non-fiction.

Basically I just like to switch things up and keep things interesting. I love all sorts of books, but I love variety as well.
>>
>>8319847
>wasting your time reading crap at all
>>
>>8319847
That's an excellent ratio. keep it up, and tell the jealous snobs to fuck off.
>>
>>8319852

I enjoy them but I can't read them mindlessly or for leisure, I feel like it's a waste if I don't try and get something out of them. That goes double for philosophy. I usually take notes and shit.

At least when I'm reading some throwaway contemporary fiction I can breeze through it, go "that was fun" and move on.
>>
>>8319847
Why don't you just read what you enjoy instead of caring what the people on a shitty image board think? I'm sure when you're on your deathbed you'll say "Gee, I am awfully happy I spent my time reading what a bunch of liars on the internet told me to read."
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.