[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think the reason /lit/ is so obsessed with IJ is that most

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: _500.jpg (42KB, 500x329px) Image search: [Google]
_500.jpg
42KB, 500x329px
I think the reason /lit/ is so obsessed with IJ is that most people here are kids, millennials, and the book is basically a dictionary where every entry is about how the generation after Gen X will be completely fucked, the people will be desperately addicted to everything and the political situation will be frighteningly horrible and the enviroment will have already gone to shit and basically it's going to be a real bad time for young people
He was off by ~5 years, but he was absolutely right
>>
not sure he is worth the time really. most people on lit seem to have read him and i wouldn't trade places with them if i had cancer.
>>
too bad the writing is horrendous
>>
>>8319165
>most people here are kids, millennials
little bit off
some are millenials, almost nobody is a 'kid'

the book's main premise is the issue with entertainment and irony, something your average college sophomore isn't too interested in

/lit/'s obsession, on the other hand, comes from IJ being 1. the big hot thing, 2. a funny, quirky and 'challenging' (theoretically speaking) novel, and 3. the magnum opus of a very, very memetastic author.
>>
File: dfw62.png (802KB, 1028x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dfw62.png
802KB, 1028x1080px
>>8319331

>the book's main premise is the issue with entertainment and irony, something your average college sophomore isn't too interested in

I may not be your "average college sophomore", but I see entertainment and irony as pretty important topics to anyone around college age who can look at their peers' and their own participation in social media/netflix/dumb apps from even a slightly removed viewpoint.

Plus, yeah, DFW is a fun meme and IJ is actually a deceptively easy read with only the occasionally-gimmicky-seeming endnotes to vault it to a falsely perceived higher level of difficulty.
>>
>>8319331
everyone born after 1985 is a millennial.
>>
I seriously fucking hate all the Gen X/Gen Y/Millenial labels. They're retardedly simplistic, exist purely as fashion, and are so focus on the simple fact that people react differently to ever changing coditions. Stop trying to reduce yourself so the market can fucking gulp your memes up you chucklefucks, have some fucking dignity and accept you're not going to understand everything about yourselves, let alone the whole age.
>>
>>8321410
found the millennial. do us all a favor and shut up.
>>
>>8321461
Make me cunt, you angsty cunt.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.